Stop lights and signs

Mondo Endo

Jul 27, 2010
I recently started riding with a local group after getting back into cycling after a long layoff. One of the things that attracted me to this group was the fact that they said they follow the rules of the road. Well Im not sure what they are talking about but they ran every stop sign and any stop light that didnt have a car coming the other way. In California the ticket is the same as running it in a car and besides the safety issue I dont want a $200-300 ticket. My neighbor is a cop and says he recently pulled over a large group(about 20) after they ran a stop sign and wrote them all tickets. So whats the reason for lots of the cyclists I see in my area doing this? I understand not wanting to stop and keeping your pace but it seems pretty stupid considering the safety issue and the possible ticket.

It's a large group of people that are ignorant of the real risk of doing things like that and that don't care about said risk because it's more important for them to keep the ride smoking. It's the kind of group I won't ride with.

alienator said:
It's a large group of people that are ignorant of the real risk of doing things like that and that don't care about said risk because it's more important for them to keep the ride smoking. It's the kind of group I won't ride with.

+1

I see it often here in Denver and there's no excuse or good reason for it. I have even had other cyclists run lights/stop signs right in front of me when I have right of way; like tonight; and Saturday; and; and; and.

My suggestion is to avoid riding with people like that even if you ride responsibly. If you stop for a controlled intersection you may still be found guilty by association if the whole pack gets pulled over. Just avoid it; I'd rather ride alone any day.