Stop NY's Anti-Bicycling Bill

supabonbon

Guest
Things are getting ridiculous here in NYC.

Under Int. No. 497 those bicycling anywhere within the city limits
(that includes visitors!) without their registration number tag would
face stiff civil and criminal penalties including:

- UP TO 15 DAYS IMPRISONMENT and
- $100 - $300 criminal fine and
- $100 - $300 civil fine and
- a misdemeanor charge and
- confiscation of one's bicycle.

Why? To what purpose? I don't know.

Please visit http://www.transalt.org/press/askta/041116bikebill.html
and send an email to Councilmember Madeline Provenzano to cool it. (A
little history: a bike lane was striped on Ms. Provenzano's street,
which she tried to have moved/removed. For some reason, she just
doesn't like our kind.)

If you want to call her office, the number is 212-788-7375.

Thank you!

/s

supabonbon wrote:
> Things are getting ridiculous here in NYC.
>
> Under Int. No. 497 those bicycling anywhere within the city limits
> (that includes visitors!) without their registration number tag would
> face stiff civil and criminal penalties including:
>
> - UP TO 15 DAYS IMPRISONMENT and
> - $100 - $300 criminal fine and
> - $100 - $300 civil fine and
> - a misdemeanor charge and
> - confiscation of one's bicycle.
>
> Why? To what purpose? I don't know.
>
> Please visit http://www.transalt.org/press/askta/041116bikebill.html
> and send an email to Councilmember Madeline Provenzano to cool it. (A
> little history: a bike lane was striped on Ms. Provenzano's street,
> which she tried to have moved/removed. For some reason, she just
> doesn't like our kind.)
>
> If you want to call her office, the number is 212-788-7375.
>
> Thank you!
>
> /s

With a face like that she'd do anything to get some attention. Eeeewwww!

This isn't going to work though. You have to make it difficult for
here. Organize a thousand riders to block her driveway a few times.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

On 17 Nov 2004 12:20:44 -0800, supabonbon <[email protected]> wrote:

> Things are getting ridiculous here in NYC.
>
> Under Int. No. 497 those bicycling anywhere within the city limits
> (that includes visitors!) without their registration number tag would
> face stiff civil and criminal penalties including:
>
> - UP TO 15 DAYS IMPRISONMENT and
> - $100 - $300 criminal fine and
> - $100 - $300 civil fine and
> - a misdemeanor charge and
> - confiscation of one's bicycle.
>
> Why? To what purpose? I don't know.
>
> Please visit http://www.transalt.org/press/askta/041116bikebill.html
> and send an email to Councilmember Madeline Provenzano to cool it. (A
> little history: a bike lane was striped on Ms. Provenzano's street,
> which she tried to have moved/removed. For some reason, she just
> doesn't like our kind.)
>
> If you want to call her office, the number is 212-788-7375.
>
> Thank you!
>
> /s

Boycott New York.

--
Bill (not always politically correct) Baka

Hey Jackass,

If you don't like the law, sue her ****ing ass in court.

Magilla

supabonbon wrote:

> Things are getting ridiculous here in NYC.
>
> Under Int. No. 497 those bicycling anywhere within the city limits
> (that includes visitors!) without their registration number tag would
> face stiff civil and criminal penalties including:
>
> - UP TO 15 DAYS IMPRISONMENT and
> - $100 - $300 criminal fine and
> - $100 - $300 civil fine and
> - a misdemeanor charge and
> - confiscation of one's bicycle.
>
> Why? To what purpose? I don't know.
>
> Please visit http://www.transalt.org/press/askta/041116bikebill.html
> and send an email to Councilmember Madeline Provenzano to cool it. (A
> little history: a bike lane was striped on Ms. Provenzano's street,
> which she tried to have moved/removed. For some reason, she just
> doesn't like our kind.)
>
> If you want to call her office, the number is 212-788-7375.
>
> Thank you!
>
> /s

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:42:24 -0500, Ride-A-Lot
<[email protected]> wrote:

> supabonbon wrote:
>> Things are getting ridiculous here in NYC. Under Int. No. 497 those
>> bicycling anywhere within the city limits
>> (that includes visitors!) without their registration number tag would
>> face stiff civil and criminal penalties including:
>>
>> - UP TO 15 DAYS IMPRISONMENT and - $100 - $300 criminal fine and - $100
>> - $300 civil fine and - a misdemeanor charge and - confiscation of
>> one's bicycle. Why? To what purpose? I don't know.
>>
>> Please visit http://www.transalt.org/press/askta/041116bikebill.html
>> and send an email to Councilmember Madeline Provenzano to cool it. (A
>> little history: a bike lane was striped on Ms. Provenzano's street,
>> which she tried to have moved/removed. For some reason, she just
>> doesn't like our kind.)
>>
>> If you want to call her office, the number is 212-788-7375. Thank you!
>>
>> /s

> With a face like that she'd do anything to get some attention. Eeeewwww!
>
> This isn't going to work though. You have to make it difficult for
> here. Organize a thousand riders to block her driveway a few times.

Take her SUV away and make her ride or walk, depending on how stubborn she
is.
Maybe she CAN'T ride herself. Most likely a spoiled rich witch who is used
to getting her own way.

--
Bill (not always politically correct) Baka

How much does the license/registration tag cost?

Magilla

supabonbon wrote:

> Things are getting ridiculous here in NYC.
>
> Under Int. No. 497 those bicycling anywhere within the city limits
> (that includes visitors!) without their registration number tag would
> face stiff civil and criminal penalties including:
>
> - UP TO 15 DAYS IMPRISONMENT and
> - $100 - $300 criminal fine and
> - $100 - $300 civil fine and
> - a misdemeanor charge and
> - confiscation of one's bicycle.
>
> Why? To what purpose? I don't know.
>
> Please visit http://www.transalt.org/press/askta/041116bikebill.html
> and send an email to Councilmember Madeline Provenzano to cool it. (A
> little history: a bike lane was striped on Ms. Provenzano's street,
> which she tried to have moved/removed. For some reason, she just
> doesn't like our kind.)
>
> If you want to call her office, the number is 212-788-7375.
>
> Thank you!
>
> /s

On 17 Nov 2004 12:20:44 -0800, [email protected] (supabonbon)
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>Under Int. No. 497 those bicycling anywhere within the city limits
>(that includes visitors!) without their registration number tag would
>face stiff civil and criminal penalties

Clearly the intention is to make cycling as expensive and inconvenient
as caging and push all those subversives back into their cars where
they don't hold up the gridlock. Or something.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:14:30 GMT, Chris Phillipo
<[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> rec.bicycles.marketplace
>>
>> supabonbon wrote:
>> > Things are getting ridiculous here in NYC.
>> >
>> > Under Int. No. 497 those bicycling anywhere within the city limits
>> > (that includes visitors!) without their registration number tag would
>> > face stiff civil and criminal penalties including:
>> >
>> > - UP TO 15 DAYS IMPRISONMENT and
>> > - $100 - $300 criminal fine and
>> > - $100 - $300 civil fine and
>> > - a misdemeanor charge and
>> > - confiscation of one's bicycle.
>> >
>> > Why? To what purpose? I don't know.

> Apparently terrorst bombers don't register their bikes and therefore
> will be easy to spot.

How about a bike stuffed with C4 rigged to go off when placed in a police
car?
Sheeesh, I can't believe NYC.

--
Bill (not always politically correct) Baka

Think they could be going after the "Critical Mass"

--------------------------------

264 arrested in NYC bicycle protest
From Jonathan Wald
CNN
Saturday, August 28, 2004 Posted: 8:46 PM EDT (0046 GMT)

NEW YORK (CNN) -- In the first major clampdown on protesters before
the Republican National Convention, New York police arrested 264
people Friday night during a mass demonstration.

About 5,000 cyclists gathered in Union Square Park at 6 p.m. for
"Critical Mass," a monthly bike ride around Manhattan, sponsored by
environmental group "Times Up!"

Police started making arrests at around 8:30 p.m. in several locations
along the bike route, including Madison Square Garden -- the venue for
the Republican National Convention. (Special Report: America Votes
2004, the Republican convention)

The cyclists caused "massive disruptions including of people trying to
get to the hospital and so we took appropriate action," said NYPD
Deputy Commissioner for Public Information, Paul Browne.(Protesters
use tech to help organize)

Cyclists said the bike ride was peaceful and the police acted
unreasonably.

"It was a very peaceful, friendly occasion, like a parade," said one
of the cyclists, Ellie Maxwell.

"Everyone was riding along when police suddenly penned us in and
started picking people off," Maxwell said.

"The police actually caused more disruptions than the cyclists because
they blocked off roads -- at one point for as long as an hour and a
half -- whereas the cyclists were always moving."

Most of those arrested were taken for processing to Pier 57 and will
be charged with disorderly conduct, an NYPD spokesman said.

The three-story, block-long pier has been converted to a holding pen
especially for those protesting the convention so that city precincts
will not be overrun by waves of arrests.

The pier can hold 1,000 people and will remain in operation until the
end of the U.S. Tennis Open.

Police distributed flyers at the start of the ride in Union Square
warning that anyone breaking traffic laws could be subject to arrest.

The monthly bike ride drew thousands more than usual due to the number
of people who wanted to protest against the convention.

"Critical Mass" takes place on the last Friday of every month to
promote the interests of bicyclists.

According to its Web site, "Critical Mass's aim is to make people take
notice of cyclists as road users."

"Although some obstruction of 'normal' traffic occurs," says the Web
site, "we are only seeking to raise the profile of cycling, and put
cycling and transport issues on the agenda so that they will not be
ignored."

An estimated 250,000 protesters are expected to march from Union
Square on Sunday past Madison Square Garden.

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:24:04 -0500, MagillaGorilla
<[email protected]> wrote:

> How much does the license/registration tag cost?
>
> Magilla

Middle posting here. Who cares about cost? This is just an anti bike
witch, hunting.
They should be given tags and money for not polluting. Fine her for the
pollution she is making and for wasting city council time.

--

Bill Baka wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:14:30 GMT, Chris Phillipo
> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Apparently terrorst bombers don't register their bikes and therefore
>> will be easy to spot.

> How about a bike stuffed with C4 rigged to go off when placed in a
> police car?

Funny, I had a sticker awhile back that said "this bike is a pipe bomb" -- which
was the name of a band I saw several years ago, at Al's Bar in LA. I had it on
my mountain bike for awhile, but took it off awhile ago -- just to be safe!

Matt O.

wrote:

>Things are getting ridiculous here in NYC.
>
>Under Int. No. 497 those bicycling anywhere within the city limits
>(that includes visitors!) without their registration number tag would
>face stiff civil and criminal penalties including:
>
>- UP TO 15 DAYS IMPRISONMENT and
>- $100 - $300 criminal fine and
>- $100 - $300 civil fine and
>- a misdemeanor charge and
>- confiscation of one's bicycle.
>
>Why? To what purpose? I don't know.

Revenue, and the opportunity to have an excuse to throw out or
incarcerate any of Those People.

I wonder how they'll "register" bikes that have no serial number...
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:44:35 -0500, Lindsay
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Think they could be going after the "Critical Mass"
>
> --------------------------------
>
> 264 arrested in NYC bicycle protest
> From Jonathan Wald
> CNN
> Saturday, August 28, 2004 Posted: 8:46 PM EDT (0046 GMT)
>
> NEW YORK (CNN) -- In the first major clampdown on protesters before
> the Republican National Convention, New York police arrested 264
> people Friday night during a mass demonstration.
>
> About 5,000 cyclists gathered in Union Square Park at 6 p.m. for
> "Critical Mass," a monthly bike ride around Manhattan, sponsored by
> environmental group "Times Up!"
>
> Police started making arrests at around 8:30 p.m. in several locations
> along the bike route, including Madison Square Garden -- the venue for
> the Republican National Convention. (Special Report: America Votes
> 2004, the Republican convention)
>
> The cyclists caused "massive disruptions including of people trying to
> get to the hospital and so we took appropriate action," said NYPD
> Deputy Commissioner for Public Information, Paul Browne.(Protesters
> use tech to help organize)
>
> Cyclists said the bike ride was peaceful and the police acted
> unreasonably.
>
> "It was a very peaceful, friendly occasion, like a parade," said one
> of the cyclists, Ellie Maxwell.
>
> "Everyone was riding along when police suddenly penned us in and
> started picking people off," Maxwell said.
>
> "The police actually caused more disruptions than the cyclists because
> they blocked off roads -- at one point for as long as an hour and a
> half -- whereas the cyclists were always moving."
>
> Most of those arrested were taken for processing to Pier 57 and will
> be charged with disorderly conduct, an NYPD spokesman said.
>
> The three-story, block-long pier has been converted to a holding pen
> especially for those protesting the convention so that city precincts
> will not be overrun by waves of arrests.
>
> The pier can hold 1,000 people and will remain in operation until the
> end of the U.S. Tennis Open.
>
> Police distributed flyers at the start of the ride in Union Square
> warning that anyone breaking traffic laws could be subject to arrest.
>
> The monthly bike ride drew thousands more than usual due to the number
> of people who wanted to protest against the convention.
>
> "Critical Mass" takes place on the last Friday of every month to
> promote the interests of bicyclists.
>
> According to its Web site, "Critical Mass's aim is to make people take
> notice of cyclists as road users."
>
> "Although some obstruction of 'normal' traffic occurs," says the Web
> site, "we are only seeking to raise the profile of cycling, and put
> cycling and transport issues on the agenda so that they will not be
> ignored."
>
> An estimated 250,000 protesters are expected to march from Union
> Square on Sunday past Madison Square Garden.

Sure glad I didn't vote for asshole weed.
Sure sad he sacked the election again.
Sadder still that 50% of Americans were stupid enough to give him the
chance.
Learn to goosestep and say "Heil Bush".

--
Bill (politically correct) Baka

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:57:34 -0500, Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bill Baka wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:14:30 GMT, Chris Phillipo
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Apparently terrorst bombers don't register their bikes and therefore
>>> will be easy to spot.

>> How about a bike stuffed with C4 rigged to go off when placed in a
>> police car?

> Funny, I had a sticker awhile back that said "this bike is a pipe bomb"
> -- which
> was the name of a band I saw several years ago, at Al's Bar in LA. I
> had it on
> my mountain bike for awhile, but took it off awhile ago -- just to be
> safe!
>
> Matt O.

I keep spare money, $100 bills, rolled up and about 5 each in a piece of
1/2" pipe threaded with caps on both ends. Each of these is a $500 stash.
I don't even remember where I tossed some of them, but I do take a few
tossed in my car on trips, just in case. If a cop ever pulled me over and
demanded to see my trunk would they blow up my car?
This country is getting stranger by the day. I wonder if we will have a
new, Republican written Constitution by the time Bush get done with it.

--
Bill (not always politically correct) Baka

"supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Things are getting ridiculous here in NYC.
>
> Under Int. No. 497 those bicycling anywhere within the city limits
> (that includes visitors!) without their registration number tag would
> face stiff civil and criminal penalties including:
>
> - UP TO 15 DAYS IMPRISONMENT and
> - $100 - $300 criminal fine and
> - $100 - $300 civil fine and
> - a misdemeanor charge and
> - confiscation of one's bicycle.
>
> Why? To what purpose? I don't know.
>
> Please visit http://www.transalt.org/press/askta/041116bikebill.html
> and send an email to Councilmember Madeline Provenzano to cool it. (A
> little history: a bike lane was striped on Ms. Provenzano's street,
> which she tried to have moved/removed. For some reason, she just
> doesn't like our kind.)
>
> If you want to call her office, the number is 212-788-7375.
>
> Thank you!
>
> /s

Let me play devil's advocate here:

1) Bicycles are used on public streets, just like cars.

2) I have to register my car each year, and make sure I have proof of
registration when I drive.

Is the registration requirement for motorized vehicles "anti-car"?

Given the similar requirements for motorized vehicles, how is a bicycle
registration requirement "anti-bicycling"?

GG

<[email protected]> wrote:

>How much does the license/registration tag cost?

<mode="NYC">

How much you got?

</mode>
--

"GaryG" <garyg@shasta_SPAMBEGONE_software.com> writes:

> 1) Bicycles are used on public streets, just like cars.
>
> 2) I have to register my car each year, and make sure I have proof of
> registration when I drive.
>
> Is the registration requirement for motorized vehicles "anti-car"?
>
> Given the similar requirements for motorized vehicles, how is a bicycle
> registration requirement "anti-bicycling"?

If you drive your car to NYC, and it isn't registered in NYC, do
the police impound it? Or does NYC recognize out-of-town and
out-of-state registration? I think the latter is more likely,
but the former is what the proposed NYC law would do, according
to the OP.
--
"In this world that Hugh Heffner had made,
he alone seemed forever bunnyless."

"GaryG" <garyg@shasta_SPAMBEGONE_software.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Things are getting ridiculous here in NYC.
>>
>> Under Int. No. 497 those bicycling anywhere within the city limits
>> (that includes visitors!) without their registration number tag would
>> face stiff civil and criminal penalties including:
>>
>> - UP TO 15 DAYS IMPRISONMENT and
>> - $100 - $300 criminal fine and
>> - $100 - $300 civil fine and
>> - a misdemeanor charge and
>> - confiscation of one's bicycle.
>>
>> Why? To what purpose? I don't know.
>>
>> Please visit http://www.transalt.org/press/askta/041116bikebill.html
>> and send an email to Councilmember Madeline Provenzano to cool it. (A
>> little history: a bike lane was striped on Ms. Provenzano's street,
>> which she tried to have moved/removed. For some reason, she just
>> doesn't like our kind.)
>>
>> If you want to call her office, the number is 212-788-7375.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> /s

> Let me play devil's advocate here:
>
> 1) Bicycles are used on public streets, just like cars.
>
> 2) I have to register my car each year, and make sure I have proof of
> registration when I drive.
>
> Is the registration requirement for motorized vehicles "anti-car"?
>
> Given the similar requirements for motorized vehicles, how is a bicycle
> registration requirement "anti-bicycling"?
>
> GG

Because registration for cars is applicable nationally. If I drive my car
into NYC, my CT tags work just fine. But if I'm going on a Boston-Miami
bike ride, for example, and ride through NYC? I can get imprisoned for 2
weeks, fined, and lose my bike. Thats ********.

I know you're playing devil's advocate, so let me counter yours -
I walk on the sidewalk (essentially the street), as do millions of others.
Wouldn't you be horrified if you had to register yourself or be thrown in
jail for two weeks?

This wouldn't be so bad if it was an escalating fine or something - first a
warning, then a 50 dollar fine, then a 100. But 2 weeks in prison????

And I'd have absolutely no complaints if they put all the money gathered
towards bicycle registration towards making safer bike routes, bike lanes,
and public education. If you're making me pay to use the roads, make them
safe for me.

Jon Bond

In alt.mountain-bike supabonbon <[email protected]> wrote:
> Things are getting ridiculous here in NYC.

> Under Int. No. 497 those bicycling anywhere within the city limits
> (that includes visitors!) without their registration number tag would
> face stiff civil and criminal penalties including:

> - UP TO 15 DAYS IMPRISONMENT and
> - $100 - $300 criminal fine and
> - $100 - $300 civil fine and
> - a misdemeanor charge and
> - confiscation of one's bicycle.

> Why? To what purpose? I don't know.

This law would be selectively enforced. It would be a tool used
against critical mass riders, or anyone else who happened to get on the
bad side of a cop.

It is similar to underposted speed limits for cars -- everybody will
speed, and the cops can pull over anyone they want and claim they have
probable cause.

justen

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:36:06 -0800, "GaryG"
<garyg@shasta_SPAMBEGONE_software.com> wrote:

>Let me play devil's advocate here:
>
>1) Bicycles are used on public streets, just like cars.
>
>2) I have to register my car each year, and make sure I have proof of
>registration when I drive.
>
>Is the registration requirement for motorized vehicles "anti-car"?
>
>Given the similar requirements for motorized vehicles, how is a bicycle
>registration requirement "anti-bicycling"?

In the early days of auto registration and tagging, some states had it
and some didn't...and a driver from a no-tag state was *always*
subject to being pulled over and given the your-papers-please
runaround if the cop didn't like the looks of him. In some cases,
this extended to arresting them and then making them prove that they
were really from where they said they were. This law would provide
the same capability for the NYC cops; by making such a registration
*mandatory*, in a society where there is no mandatory registration in
most of the rest of the country, anyone from outside the area becomes
an automatic target. It's a restriction on the rights of citizens to
be given equal treatment under the law since as written, the law would
not provide any way for a cyclist from somewhere else to be in
compliance.

It's a *bad* law. It should not be enacted, and I sincerely doubt
that it will be, as written, if enough people gripe to the *rest* of
the Council.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.