Stop Signs

Vernon Huffman

Mar 29, 2012
Please share your opinion about stopping at stop signs. I'm not asking for your interpretation of law. In Oregon, the law requires first that I exercise due care, so my question is about what is the safest thing to do.

I approach an all-way stop intersection on my heavy touring cycle. My feet are cleated to my pedals. There are no cars stopped at any of the stop signs. I don't see any cars approaching, but I do see a pedestrian casually crossing the street, not crossing my path. Is it safer to stop or to maintain momentum?

Please explain your answer.

Every stop sign is approched with caution. If it's clear I ride through if not I wait for it to clear.

Reactions: 64Paramount
Originally Posted by davereo .

Every stop sign is approached with caution. If it's clear I ride through if not I wait for it to clear.

+2

I stop at stop signs because that's what the law requires and because I believe more drivers will respect cyclists when they see cyclists riding according to the law. I'm not so lazy that getting started after coming to a stop is a struggle.

Depends on where I am. Some stop signs have clear line of sight both ways and are in rural areas. These I can roll through but I always stop if another vehicle is close by. You never know what a driver is gonna do.

Originally Posted by alienator .

I stop at stop signs because that's what the law requires and because I believe more drivers will respect cyclists when they see cyclists riding according to the law. I'm not so lazy that getting started after coming to a stop is a struggle.

I agree 110%; cyclists tend to forget that as a bicycle rider you are under the same rules and laws that a car has, why should special privileges be extended to us? If you want respect from more car drivers for your sport then abide by the same rules and laws cars have to. Most cycle related fatalities are due to the cyclist breaking some rule of the road, mostly the stopping rule, so if you want to survive longer in this world abide by the same rules and laws cars must.

If theres no motorist around to see you are dirty little secret is safe./img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

It towns and anywhere remotely near a house or two I always stop. It might not always be a foot down stop but at the very least it'll be a 1 second 'track stand'

Out to the east of town where the fields are pan flat and where the bushes are non-existant and it's obvious that there's no cars within sight then I'll probably roll through.

I stop at lights and most stops, but one stop sign in particular I rarely stop. It is a downhill where cars try to cram in and there is no shoulder to dodge to but the road that it Ts to is a major artery with 6 ft shoulders and wide visibility. Therefore it works out to be safer in a practical sense to merge to the shoulder while clearing out of the way of both paths of traffic. In all cases other than that road I adhere to the VC code because that road is 55+ and busy. No need to engage so I won't pick that fight.

Being a noob, I generally ride in neighborhoods (we've got some BIG neighborhoods around here; I can do a 13 mile circuit with only repeating two of the side loops along the way). I generally yield at such stop signs but follow the rule of invisibility (so assume any car can't see me no matter what). I actually yield even if the cars from the other direction(s) are just approaching under the assumption the car will blow through it without stopping and/or might be turning without a signal, so if there is anything from anywhere I stop/slow down and let it resolve.

But If I'm alone at the intersection and can clearly see it as such I roll on.

If I remember correctly, some states actually have laws on the books that state for bicycles stop signs are to be treated as yields. I'd have to google it since I read that around a year ago somewhere.

alienator said:
Couldn't agree more. I recently went out on a club ride for the first time and they were rolling through red lights. It just didn't feel right to me.

Originally Posted by AndrewGronow .

Couldn't agree more. I recently went out on a club ride for the first time and they were rolling through red lights. It just didn't feel right to me.
That's not right. You need to talk to your club members about safety and the image they project to the police and public. You want the police on your side when it comes to investigating accidents, and running stop lights isn't going to win you any friends. And it will get you tickets. Next time on the club ride, suggest you stop at the lights.....bet you'll find others who will wait with you.

Fully agree with you. There were only a few of us and I only knew one other rider.
It appeared the norm to one particular rider and I reluctantly followed anxious not to get dropped.
I must stress these were very quiet roads on a Sunday morning but it still went against the grain.
Because I was the new guy I just rolled with them but I'll certainly bring my feelings up when we meet next.

Regards,
Andrew.

My route has 3 stop signs within a 25 mile ride. I can see for a mile in all directions. If there is clearly no cars/traffic i will just roll right thru. To me it has nothing to do about being lazy or ignorant. Stops signs along with street lights and such are placed to regulate traffic. I dont get conviction when i roll a stop because if the stop sign has no one to tell to stop then why not? All of a sudden i care about what people perceive of me when i roll a stop? Well no one is there to see it, no police and no people so to whom do i seem lazy/ignorant/ or whatever?

I stop since I want to make it a habit when I drive or ride and I gear my bikes with that in mind. An internal gear hub is great in traffic.

I stop. As should you! I've seen way too many cars not treat bikes as vehicles to be yeilded too if their at the stop line first. Also many cagers just blow through them any way. Plus how many bikes do you see run em on a daily basis? I see a bunch better safe then sorry. Yes you loose momentum but you'll loose at lot more if you get hit. Better safe then sorry!

Bikes are covered by the Highway Traffic Act so yes, I stop :)

~~Michael Lalonde - Sudbury Ontario - M&K Mining