Stop SMIDSY's!

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by cfsmtb, Jun 22, 2006.

  1. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Well, in Queensland anyway. Has this been posted here yet?

    *************************
    Improving the Visibility and Safety of Pedestrians, Road workers, and Cyclists
    http://visibilityandsafety.carrsq.net.au/

    Thank you for taking the time to visit our site. We are very interested in your opinions, experiences and perceptions of the visibility and safety of different road user groups. If you are interested in taking part in this research please select your road user type below to continue.

    If you would like to enter a draw for the chance to win a cycle jersey (cyclists) or a double movie pass (drivers and pedestrians), please be sure to enter your contact details on the final page of the survey.

    Tags:

  2. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > Well, in Queensland anyway. Has this been posted here yet?
    >
    > *************************
    > Improving the Visibility and Safety of Pedestrians, Road workers, and
    > Cyclists
    > http://visibilityandsafety.carrsq.net.au/
    >
    > Thank you for taking the time to visit our site. We are very interested
    > in your opinions, experiences and perceptions of the visibility and
    > safety of different road user groups. If you are interested in taking
    > part in this research please select your road user type below to
    > continue.
    >
    > If you would like to enter a draw for the chance to win a cycle jersey
    > (cyclists) or a double movie pass (drivers and pedestrians), please be
    > sure to enter your contact details on the final page of the survey.

    Thanks cfsmtb. Some of the questions were very interesting. I liked
    how they wanted opinion on how safe it was for peds AND roadside workers
    to be near roads. Awaiting my jersey!

    --
    Bean

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying

  3. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > Well, in Queensland anyway. Has this been posted here yet?
    >
    > *************************
    > Improving the Visibility and Safety of Pedestrians, Road workers, and
    > Cyclists
    > http://visibilityandsafety.carrsq.net.au/

    I thought, seeing as I drive as well, I'd have a look... and I decided
    I'd bias the results. I'm too much of a cyclist!

    Tam

  4. asterope

    asterope New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2006
    about time a survey like this was done! i ride alot at night, and i think its important that they are thinking about this area.

    as for how visible i think i am to motorists... they should have had 2 answers:

    how visible do you think you are to motorists?
    how visible do you think you are to motorists who are also cyclists?

    i dont know about you, but i think cyclists that drive are always on the lookout and very courteous to cyclists. part and parcel of being a responsible road user i guess :)

  5. asterope wrote:
    > about time a survey like this was done! i ride alot at night, and i
    > think its important that they are thinking about this area.

    I was surprised at one of my own responses - yes, I do ride on the wrong
    side of the road, daily - at one particular spot, for 100 metres near my
    home - the alternative being a 4 km loop to do what is otherwise a 5 km
    ride to my local shop. And there's a nice wide sealed edged to the road
    there, where cars do not tend to veer.
    Yes, I'm in the wrong.
    Yes, I'll keep doing it while I consider it safe.
    The loop would require me to cycle on a fast dual carriageway for
    several kms where I feel I'm in much more danger.

    Karen

    --
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
    - Slartibartfast

  6. Resound

    Resound New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    That one sort of stalled me for a bit too. i'm quite visible, but I don't know how many motorists actually see me.

  7. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    Karen Gallagher wrote:

    > I was surprised at one of my own responses - yes, I do ride on the
    > wrong side of the road, daily - at one particular spot, for 100
    > metres near my home - the alternative being a 4 km loop to do what is
    > otherwise a 5 km ride to my local shop. And there's a nice wide
    > sealed edged to the road there, where cars do not tend to veer.
    > Yes, I'm in the wrong.
    > Yes, I'll keep doing it while I consider it safe.
    > The loop would require me to cycle on a fast dual carriageway for
    > several kms where I feel I'm in much more danger.

    Hmm, would you be happy for some-one else to do the same thing? On a
    motorcycle? In a car?

    Why do you think you shoudl be excempt from the road rules?

    Theo

  8. In aus.bicycle on Thu, 22 Jun 2006 22:44:23 +1000
    cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Well, in Queensland anyway. Has this been posted here yet?
    >
    > *************************
    > Improving the Visibility and Safety of Pedestrians, Road workers, and
    > Cyclists
    > http://visibilityandsafety.carrsq.net.au/

    Heh. Guess which road user group is so hard to see even the survey
    looks right past them?

    Sigh.

    I won't fill in the cycle one till they put a motorcycle one in as
    well!

    Zebee

  9. Theo Bekkers wrote:
    > Karen Gallagher wrote:
    >
    >> I was surprised at one of my own responses - yes, I do ride on the
    >> wrong side of the road, daily - at one particular spot, for 100
    >> metres near my home - the alternative being a 4 km loop to do what is
    >> otherwise a 5 km ride to my local shop. And there's a nice wide
    >> sealed edged to the road there, where cars do not tend to veer.
    >> Yes, I'm in the wrong.
    >> Yes, I'll keep doing it while I consider it safe.
    >> The loop would require me to cycle on a fast dual carriageway for
    >> several kms where I feel I'm in much more danger.

    > Hmm, would you be happy for some-one else to do the same thing? On a
    > motorcycle? In a car?
    >
    > Why do you think you shoudl be excempt from the road rules?
    >
    > Theo

    I think I've already answered those questions in my original post ...
    pay attention please :)

    Karen

    --
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
    - Slartibartfast

  10. Euan

    Euan Guest

    Karen Gallagher wrote:
    > asterope wrote:
    >> about time a survey like this was done! i ride alot at night, and i
    >> think its important that they are thinking about this area.
    >>

    > I was surprised at one of my own responses - yes, I do ride on the wrong
    > side of the road, daily - at one particular spot, for 100 metres near my
    > home

    100M? Why don't you just walk?
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

  11. Euan wrote:
    > Karen Gallagher wrote:
    >> asterope wrote:
    >>> about time a survey like this was done! i ride alot at night, and i
    >>> think its important that they are thinking about this area.
    >>>

    >> I was surprised at one of my own responses - yes, I do ride on the
    >> wrong side of the road, daily - at one particular spot, for 100 metres
    >> near my home

    > 100M? Why don't you just walk?

    Because if I did I'd expose myself to danger for longer.
    And I'd need to change to walking shoes

    I have given the matter some thought before I started doing this and I'm
    still convinced what I'm doing is the safest thing for me to do. Dual
    carriageways like this one were not designed for either cyclists or
    pedestrians and the sooner I'm off it, the better. And I live on one
    side, my destination is on the other. I really don't feel I have any choice.

    Karen

    --
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
    - Slartibartfast

  12. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Resound wrote:
    > That one sort of stalled me for a bit too. i'm quite visible, but I
    > don't know how many motorists actually see me.

    Sadly I have to agree. After nearly getting wiped out three times at
    the same quiet intersection while lit up like a christmas tree, I wrote
    to council to suggest they modify the intersection. I've just received
    a response saying the intersection conforms to standards.
    Unfortunately, the motorists don't.

    donga

  13. Fractal

    Fractal Guest

    Given such poor bicycle access for you, due no doubt to unthinking road
    engineers, you might have a case for a bike lane or overpass etc to be
    built. Are many houses cut off like you seem to be by the freeway? Ever
    tried to lobby the local council/Qld Roads for something better?

    fb

    news:[email protected]

  14. Fractal wrote:
    > Given such poor bicycle access for you, due no doubt to unthinking road
    > engineers, you might have a case for a bike lane or overpass etc to be
    > built. Are many houses cut off like you seem to be by the freeway? Ever
    > tried to lobby the local council/Qld Roads for something better?
    >
    > fb

    Getting a bit OT now, but I've been trying for years to just get a road
    sign on our service road - ambulance cannot easily find my house even.

    And my local councillor has proved utterly powerless to do even this -
    big dispute between Main Road & local council, result is no action.

    Two years ago I had to call an ambulance four times in two months (I
    won't go into that) - twice the crews were unable to find my home in
    good time & I finished up driving the patient to hospital. Yes, it's a
    life & death issue. No, we can't do anything about it.

    Believe me, I've tried every trick I can think of to fix this.

    Karen

    --
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
    - Slartibartfast

  15. Trevor_S

    Trevor_S Guest

    Karen Gallagher <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    <Snip>

    > Believe me, I've tried every trick I can think of to fix this.

    Go to a local sign maker, get them to make one for you and stick it up
    yourself.

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein

  16. Kingsley

    Kingsley Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 22:44:23 +1000, cfsmtb wrote:

    > Improving the Visibility and Safety of Pedestrians,
    > Road workers, and Cyclists
    > http://visibilityandsafety.carrsq.net.au/

    I'm always wary of this sort of thing. The way I see it
    unless I'm out riding at night in my ninja-suit on the
    flat-black stealth bike with no lights, then there shouldn't
    be an excuse for not seeing me.

    I kind'a feel that with all the safety-clothes arms race,
    unless you're lit-up like an xmas-tree (or day-glow) you're
    considered to be not taking proper precautions.

    In my town, very rarely does anyone much more than pause
    at an intersection, it's basically pull-out-and-pray.
    Because it's such a low-traffic place (got our first
    traffic light last year) these haven't been killed; yet.

    I've had exactly the same near miss, in the car, on the
    bike in daylight, and at night. They don't see 'cause they
    don't look. No amount of gear is going to fix this.

    -kt

    PS> One night riding home from the station, someone in a car
    coming the other way yelled out "YES WE CAN SEE YOU!!!", some
    maybe you *can* have too many lights...

    --
    Kingsley Turner,
    (mailto: [email protected])

  17. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-06-25, Kingsley (aka Bruce)
    > In my town, very rarely does anyone much more than pause
    > at an intersection, it's basically pull-out-and-pray.
    > Because it's such a low-traffic place (got our first
    > traffic light last year) these haven't been killed; yet.
    >
    > I've had exactly the same near miss, in the car, on the
    > bike in daylight, and at night. They don't see 'cause they
    > don't look. No amount of gear is going to fix this.

    On my way to Glen Waverley station this morning (yay! I rode a steam
    train for the first time in over a decade! Smells yummy!!), after
    coming down the 1:20, there was a guy who was pulling out of the
    service station.

    He did a very very quick headcheck, saw there was cars behind me,
    didn't see me, and attempted to gun it to beat the cars. He hit the
    brakes hard when he heard a "HEY! Look!"

    --
    TimC
    hey Beavis, we're segfaulting, heh heh heh, I know, Butthead, so let's

  18. dave

    dave Guest

    TimC wrote:
    > On 2006-06-25, Kingsley (aka Bruce)
    >
    >>In my town, very rarely does anyone much more than pause
    >>at an intersection, it's basically pull-out-and-pray.
    >>Because it's such a low-traffic place (got our first
    >>traffic light last year) these haven't been killed; yet.
    >>
    >>I've had exactly the same near miss, in the car, on the
    >>bike in daylight, and at night. They don't see 'cause they
    >>don't look. No amount of gear is going to fix this.

    > On my way to Glen Waverley station this morning (yay! I rode a steam
    > train for the first time in over a decade! Smells yummy!!), after
    > coming down the 1:20, there was a guy who was pulling out of the
    > service station.
    >
    > He did a very very quick headcheck, saw there was cars behind me,
    > didn't see me, and attempted to gun it to beat the cars. He hit the
    > brakes hard when he heard a "HEY! Look!"

    Kathy missed getting a picture of aforesaid steam train. You had better
    have a very good story about it all Tim or she is going to ask for your
    head on a plate. And you know I cant resist her :)

    Dave

  19. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-06-25, dave (aka Bruce)
    > TimC wrote:
    >> On 2006-06-25, Kingsley (aka Bruce)
    >> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
    >>
    >>>In my town, very rarely does anyone much more than pause
    >>>at an intersection, it's basically pull-out-and-pray.
    >>>Because it's such a low-traffic place (got our first
    >>>traffic light last year) these haven't been killed; yet.
    >>>
    >>>I've had exactly the same near miss, in the car, on the
    >>>bike in daylight, and at night. They don't see 'cause they
    >>>don't look. No amount of gear is going to fix this.

    >> On my way to Glen Waverley station this morning (yay! I rode a steam
    >> train for the first time in over a decade! Smells yummy!!), after
    >> coming down the 1:20, there was a guy who was pulling out of the
    >> service station.
    >>
    >> He did a very very quick headcheck, saw there was cars behind me,
    >> didn't see me, and attempted to gun it to beat the cars. He hit the
    >> brakes hard when he heard a "HEY! Look!"
    >>

    > Kathy missed getting a picture of aforesaid steam train. You had better
    > have a very good story about it all Tim or she is going to ask for your
    > head on a plate. And you know I cant resist her :)

    Even better. I've got photos and video. Chucka chucka chucka chucka!

    Someone want buy me a xD (yeah, ick!) card bigger than 256MB? :)

    But no disk space to upload it to. I was thinking of restoring an old
    machine tonight, but I think I might run out of evening at some point.

    If only I had more time, I'd join the Glen Waverley Hysterical
    Society, and restore me some train. I didn't get to talk to one of
    the persons on duty for long enough before he had to go off to do
    person-on-duty kindof stuff.

    --
    TimC
    There's only one way to better your memory. Everytime you forget

  20. dave

    dave Guest

    TimC wrote:
    > On 2006-06-25, dave (aka Bruce)
    >
    >>TimC wrote:
    >>
    >>>On 2006-06-25, Kingsley (aka Bruce)
    >>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    >>>On my way to Glen Waverley station this morning (yay! I rode a steam
    >>>train for the first time in over a decade! Smells yummy!!), after
    >>>coming down the 1:20, there was a guy who was pulling out of the
    >>>service station.
    >>>
    >>>He did a very very quick headcheck, saw there was cars behind me,
    >>>didn't see me, and attempted to gun it to beat the cars. He hit the
    >>>brakes hard when he heard a "HEY! Look!"
    >>>

    >>Kathy missed getting a picture of aforesaid steam train. You had better
    >>have a very good story about it all Tim or she is going to ask for your
    >>head on a plate. And you know I cant resist her :)

    > Even better. I've got photos and video. Chucka chucka chucka chucka!
    >
    > Someone want buy me a xD (yeah, ick!) card bigger than 256MB? :)
    >
    > But no disk space to upload it to. I was thinking of restoring an old
    > machine tonight, but I think I might run out of evening at some point.
    >
    > If only I had more time, I'd join the Glen Waverley Hysterical
    > Society, and restore me some train. I didn't get to talk to one of
    > the persons on duty for long enough before he had to go off to do
    > person-on-duty kindof stuff.

    Hmmmmth. Kathy wants. I mean really wants. :)

    Come in to work tomorrow. Guve me a yell and we will burn it onto cd hey?

    Dave