Stop the snowboard insanity

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Joe Humble, Feb 16, 2006.

  1. Joe Humble

    Joe Humble Guest

    Snowboardcross??

    If I see one more absurd stoner go up and then down a "1/2 pipe" (they
    look like they are on a full pipe) I'm about ready to boycott the
    Olympics! It is almost like rich white Americans wanted something for
    their kids to do during the winter.

    --
    Is this thing on?

    Tags:

  2. Ranieri

    Ranieri Guest

    "Joe Humble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Snowboardcross??
    >
    > If I see one more absurd stoner go up and then down a "1/2 pipe" (they
    > look like they are on a full pipe) I'm about ready to boycott the
    > Olympics! It is almost like rich white Americans wanted something for
    > their kids to do during the winter.

    The only sport where THC is a performance enhancing substance. But you have
    to figure the Television/Olympic Commitee consortium is looking at the
    future and the demographic that cares about guys named Hermann competing in
    GS is dying off.

  3. joanne

    joanne Guest

    Easy to diss a sport from ones armchair ...
    A general dscription of 'snowboardcross' here:
    http://tinyurl.com/dmnaj

    "Snowboardcross has a special appeal, said fans watching Thursday,
    because the first rider to the finish wins. No subjective judging to
    spoil the competition."
    http://tinyurl.com/dqfbu

    joanne

  4. Lee Michaels

    Lee Michaels Guest

    "joanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Easy to diss a sport from ones armchair ...
    > A general dscription of 'snowboardcross' here:
    > http://tinyurl.com/dmnaj
    >
    > "Snowboardcross has a special appeal, said fans watching Thursday,
    > because the first rider to the finish wins. No subjective judging to
    > spoil the competition."
    > http://tinyurl.com/dqfbu

    I heard a rumor that snowboarding is the only olympic sport where you will
    be disqualified if you tested negative for drugs.

    Something about maintaining tradition or something.

  5. Hugh Beyer

    Hugh Beyer Guest

    Joe Humble <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Snowboardcross??
    >
    > If I see one more absurd stoner go up and then down a "1/2 pipe" (they
    > look like they are on a full pipe) I'm about ready to boycott the
    > Olympics! It is almost like rich white Americans wanted something for
    > their kids to do during the winter.

    You'd rather watch synchronized swimming?

    At least this is a legitimate sport.

    Hugh

    --
    Exercise is a dirty word. Whenever I hear it, I wash my mouth out with
    chocolate. ("Ladi")

  6. John Dunlop

    John Dunlop Guest

    Hugh Beyer:

    [snowboardcross]

    > At least this is a legitimate sport.

    And they’re all athletes.

    --
    Jock

  7. Dally

    Dally Guest

    John Dunlop wrote:
    > Hugh Beyer:
    >
    > [snowboardcross]
    >

    >>At least this is a legitimate sport.

    > And they’re all athletes.

    But how can you tell? I want more beefcake. I think they ought to wear
    neoprene instead of snowsuits.

    Dally

  8. Joe Humble

    Joe Humble Guest

    On 17 Feb 2006 09:15:42 -0800, "joanne" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Easy to diss a sport from ones armchair ...
    >A general dscription of 'snowboardcross' here:
    >http://tinyurl.com/dmnaj
    >
    >"Snowboardcross has a special appeal, said fans watching Thursday,
    >because the first rider to the finish wins. No subjective judging to
    >spoil the competition."
    >http://tinyurl.com/dqfbu
    >

    >joanne

    I'm suspicious of a "sport" where it seems more obvious to me how to
    win than the silver medallist. I did catch the men's final and the
    guy who took the gold did so because he had enough sense to go high on
    the outside bends which is clearly the best place to build momentum
    since you can slide into it harder and go nearly perpendicular to the
    pull of gravity.

    --
    Is this thing on?

  9. On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 16:19:08 GMT, Joe Humble <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I'm suspicious of a "sport" where it seems more obvious to me how to
    >win than the silver medallist. I did catch the men's final and the
    >guy who took the gold did so because he had enough sense to go high on
    >the outside bends which is clearly the best place to build momentum
    >since you can slide into it harder and go nearly perpendicular to the
    >pull of gravity.

    Joe,
    Just "fire one up", and by the time you finish it, you'll understand
    it. It's THAT kind of sport...

  10. Stephen

    Stephen Guest

    Dally wrote:

    > John Dunlop wrote:
    >
    >> Hugh Beyer:
    >>
    >> [snowboardcross]
    >>

    >>> At least this is a legitimate sport.

    >> And they’re all athletes.

    > But how can you tell? I want more beefcake. I think they ought to wear
    > neoprene instead of snowsuits.

    You mean like two man luge? That sport makes male figure skaters look
    like coal miners in comparison.

    Stephen N.

  11. On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 21:11:54 GMT, Stephen <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >You mean like two man luge?

    I can hit a bug on tree stump at 40' away with one of my lugies. Will
    that get me into the olympics?

  12. Joe Humble

    Joe Humble Guest

    On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 12:32:07 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
    <leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net> wrote:

    >"joanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Easy to diss a sport from ones armchair ...
    >> A general dscription of 'snowboardcross' here:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/dmnaj
    >>
    >> "Snowboardcross has a special appeal, said fans watching Thursday,
    >> because the first rider to the finish wins. No subjective judging to
    >> spoil the competition."
    >> http://tinyurl.com/dqfbu
    >>

    >I heard a rumor that snowboarding is the only olympic sport where you will
    >be disqualified if you tested negative for drugs.
    >
    >Something about maintaining tradition or something.

    I thought it was priceless when the female stoner with the dreads
    tried to do a little "showboat" at the end and fell down, and lost the
    gold. I think the fall would be called a 1/2 fakie with a rollover
    and a twist on the landing.

    Absurd sport, absurd athletes.

    --
    Is this thing on?

  13. JRH

    JRH Guest

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 05:12:19 GMT, Joe Humble <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 12:32:07 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
    ><leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net> wrote:
    >

    >>"joanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>> Easy to diss a sport from ones armchair ...
    >>> A general dscription of 'snowboardcross' here:
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/dmnaj
    >>>
    >>> "Snowboardcross has a special appeal, said fans watching Thursday,
    >>> because the first rider to the finish wins. No subjective judging to
    >>> spoil the competition."
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/dqfbu
    >>>

    >>I heard a rumor that snowboarding is the only olympic sport where you will
    >>be disqualified if you tested negative for drugs.
    >>
    >>Something about maintaining tradition or something.
    >>

    >I thought it was priceless when the female stoner with the dreads
    >tried to do a little "showboat" at the end and fell down, and lost the
    >gold. I think the fall would be called a 1/2 fakie with a rollover
    >and a twist on the landing.

    Hilarious - silly cow! The race aint won 'til you got the gong in
    mitt! ;o)

    Steve Ovett, the British track star, some years ago did something very
    similar in the final of the 1500 metres, when he raised his arms aloft
    to acknowledge his adoring fans as he approached the line, only to be
    pipped on the post by an unknown sneaking in on the inside.

    Silly bastard!

    >Absurd sport, absurd athletes.

    Agreed! Just consider that ice sculpting is an Olympic sport; I think
    that says it all!!

    HAGS!

  14. David

    David Guest

    "JRH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 05:12:19 GMT, Joe Humble <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 12:32:07 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
    >><leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"joanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]

    >>>I heard a rumor that snowboarding is the only olympic sport where you
    >>>will
    >>>be disqualified if you tested negative for drugs.
    >>>
    >>>Something about maintaining tradition or something.
    >>>

    >>I thought it was priceless when the female stoner with the dreads
    >>tried to do a little "showboat" at the end and fell down, and lost the
    >>gold. I think the fall would be called a 1/2 fakie with a rollover
    >>and a twist on the landing.

    > Hilarious - silly cow! The race aint won 'til you got the gong in
    > mitt! ;o)
    >
    > Steve Ovett, the British track star, some years ago did something very
    > similar in the final of the 1500 metres, when he raised his arms aloft
    > to acknowledge his adoring fans as he approached the line, only to be
    > pipped on the post by an unknown sneaking in on the inside.

    You never count your money when you're sittin at the table

  15. JRH

    JRH Guest

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 18:54:53 +1000, "David" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"JRH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 05:12:19 GMT, Joe Humble <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:

    >>>I thought it was priceless when the female stoner with the dreads
    >>>tried to do a little "showboat" at the end and fell down, and lost the
    >>>gold. I think the fall would be called a 1/2 fakie with a rollover
    >>>and a twist on the landing.

    >> Hilarious - silly cow! The race aint won 'til you got the gong in
    >> mitt! ;o)
    >>
    >> Steve Ovett, the British track star, some years ago did something very
    >> similar in the final of the 1500 metres, when he raised his arms aloft
    >> to acknowledge his adoring fans as he approached the line, only to be
    >> pipped on the post by an unknown sneaking in on the inside.

    >You never count your money when you're sittin at the table

    Wise words indeed Oz! ;o)

  16. David

    David Guest

    "JRH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 18:54:53 +1000, "David" <[email protected]om.au>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"JRH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]

    >>> Hilarious - silly cow! The race aint won 'til you got the gong in
    >>> mitt! ;o)
    >>>
    >>> Steve Ovett, the British track star, some years ago did something very
    >>> similar in the final of the 1500 metres, when he raised his arms aloft
    >>> to acknowledge his adoring fans as he approached the line, only to be
    >>> pipped on the post by an unknown sneaking in on the inside.

    >>You never count your money when you're sittin at the table
    >>

    > Wise words indeed Oz! ;o)

    I am in fact having a crisis of self respect today - you are the 3rd troll
    that I have sucked up to. I will need counselling.

  17. On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:40:37 +1000, "David" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I am in fact having a crisis of self respect today - you are the 3rd troll
    >that I have sucked up to. I will need counselling.

    1) this is no surprise to us that know you. 2) you needed it long
    before that action.