Storage for Tupperware lids

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dan Williams, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. Dan Williams

    Dan Williams Guest

    I'm getting increasingly frustrated at having to dig around the back of cupboards to find the right
    size lids for a tupperware bowl.

    I've had the idea of trying to find some sort of filing tray that i can attach to the back of a
    kitchen cupboard door that i can use to store the lids for my various tupperware bowls. Obviously
    they'd have to be thin enough so that i could shut the door.

    I've drawn a picture of what i'm trying to explain. It's available at
    http://home.btconnect.com/dtwilliams/kitchen.gif

    Anyone got any ideas where i could get such an item in the UK? Suppose i could take a look in my
    local stationary store.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions or alternatives ideas.

    Dan Williams

    Tags:

  2. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    Dan Williams wrote:

    > I've had the idea of trying to find some sort of filing tray that i can attach to the back of a
    > kitchen cupboard door that i can use to store the lids for my various tupperware bowls. Obviously
    > they'd have to be thin enough so that i could shut the door.

    Tupperware makes them. I used to have them, if I still did I would send them to you.

    nancy

  3. Trina

    Trina Guest

    Tupperware does make them.....I have several and love them---I also have one
    that holds the Plastic Grocery bags.
    Trina
    "Dan Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm getting increasingly frustrated at having to dig around the back of cupboards to find the
    > right size lids for a tupperware bowl.
    >
    > I've had the idea of trying to find some sort of filing tray that i can attach to the back of a
    > kitchen cupboard door that i can use to store the lids for my various tupperware bowls. Obviously
    > they'd have to be thin enough so that i could shut the door.
    >
    > I've drawn a picture of what i'm trying to explain. It's available at
    > http://home.btconnect.com/dtwilliams/kitchen.gif
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas where i could get such an item in the UK? Suppose i could take a look in my
    > local stationary store.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions or alternatives ideas.
    >
    > Dan Williams

  4. Levelwave©

    Levelwave© Guest

    Dan Williams wrote:

    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions or alternatives ideas.

    Why not just store the lids on the appropriate container?

    ~john

  5. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    Levelwave© wrote:

    > Dan Williams wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions or alternatives ideas.
    >
    > Why not just store the lids on the appropriate container?
    >
    > ~john

    a) Then they wouldn't stack and would take up much more room

    b) All that trapped moisture, yuck. I always leave them stacked slightly askew to make sure they
    can really dry.

    nancy

  6. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > Levelwave© wrote:
    >>
    >> Dan Williams wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks in advance for any suggestions or alternatives ideas.
    >>
    >> Why not just store the lids on the appropriate container?
    >>
    >> ~john
    >
    > a) Then they wouldn't stack and would take up much more room
    >
    > b) All that trapped moisture, yuck. I always leave them stacked slightly askew to make sure they
    > can really dry.
    >
    > nancy

    Heh. Dry the containers before storing them. I don't have tons of like-sized containers but they
    still stack okay. The more flat ones go on the bottom, the medium-round ones on top of those and the
    small round ones on top of those.

    I don't use 'Tupperware'; I use those Rubbermaid Serv'n'Savers. Much less expensive.

    Jill

  7. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    jmcquown wrote:

    > Nancy Young wrote:

    > >> Why not just store the lids on the appropriate container?

    > >> ~john
    > >
    > > a) Then they wouldn't stack and would take up much more room
    > >
    > > b) All that trapped moisture, yuck. I always leave them stacked slightly askew to make sure
    > > they can really dry.
    > >
    > > nancy
    >
    > Heh. Dry the containers before storing them.

    No, they don't really dry, if you want to put them away in any reasonable time, dry dry dry and they
    will still be wet.

    > I don't use 'Tupperware'; I use those Rubbermaid Serv'n'Savers. Much less expensive.

    I keep them so long and like them a lot, that the price is not a consideration.

    I do need a couple of new lids, though.

    nancy

  8. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 23:50:07 +0000 (UTC), Dan Williams
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm getting increasingly frustrated at having to dig around the back of cupboards to find the right
    >size lids for a tupperware bowl.

    I line mine up vertically in the back of the cupboard, from smallest to largest, undersides all
    facing the same direction so none get sandwiched between others. Then I put the actual containers in
    front of them.

    Best hour I ever invested in reorganizing the storage containers last week.

    -sw

  9. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >Dan Williams
    ; inquires:

    >I'm getting increasingly frustrated at having to dig around the back of cupboards to find the right
    >size lids for a tupperware bowl.
    >
    >I've had the idea of trying to find some sort of filing tray that i can attach to the back of a
    >kitchen cupboard door that i can use to store the lids for my various tupperware bowls. Obviously
    >they'd have to be thin enough so that i could shut the door.
    >
    >I've drawn a picture of what i'm trying to explain. It's available at
    >http://home.btconnect.com/dtwilliams/kitchen.gif
    >
    >Anyone got any ideas where i could get such an item in the UK? Suppose i could take a look in my
    >local stationary store.
    >
    >Thanks in advance for any suggestions or alternatives ideas.

    In the US one can easily accquire such devices made of vinyl clad wire... made in infinite
    configurations... don't yoose UKers have anything akin to Home Depot?

  10. Nancree

    Nancree Guest

    I use one of those (rather tacky) paper napkin holders, in yellow plastic, inside a cabinet, against
    the end of the cabinet. It holds several Tupperware lids, and is very handy. And I can shut the
    cabinet door and not have to look at it. Nancree

  11. Nancy Young <[email protected]> had some very interesting
    things to say about Re: Storage for Tupperware lids:

    >> Why not just store the lids on the appropriate container?
    >a) Then they wouldn't stack and would take up much more room

    I like to nest containers [I have a lot of a different brand] with lids on their containers. For
    my storage space, this works. As for dampness, I don't put things away until they're dry in the
    first place.
    --
    "The universe is quite robust in design and appears to be doing just fine on its own, incompetent
    support staff notwithstanding.

  12. Gabby

    Gabby Guest

    "Dan Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm getting increasingly frustrated at having to dig around the back of cupboards to find the
    > right size lids for a tupperware bowl.
    >
    > I've had the idea of trying to find some sort of filing tray that i can attach to the back of a
    > kitchen cupboard door that i can use to store the lids for my various tupperware bowls. Obviously
    > they'd have to be thin enough so that i could shut the door.

    Although Tupperware makes one, I have too many lids of all shapes to make their holder practical. I
    just bought a few plastic baskets and use one for small round seals, one for rectangular and square
    ones and one for larger round seals. I used to be a TW dealer so have ended up with way too many
    containers in my cupboard.

    Have to agree with Nancy. I never store my empty containers with the lids on as it takes up too much
    space. And yes they are a pain to dry -- yet I love them and have had them for years.

    Gabby

  13. Medium Gnome

    Medium Gnome Guest

    A cereal box worked for me one time. I used duct tape to secure it to the door. Not long ago I used
    a staple gun, not a desk top stapler, to attach 1/2" wide clothing elastic to the inside of the
    cabinet door. I hold my coffee filters this way. I also used a length of it for holding measuring
    spoons, just stapled at intervals to allow a space for each spoon to hand upside down. I'd do more
    but I just have not gotten around to it.

    Your drawing is great by the way. Bet you're good at the game called Pictionary.

    Yvette

    "Dan Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm getting increasingly frustrated at having to dig around the back of cupboards to find the
    > right size lids for a tupperware bowl.
    >
    > I've had the idea of trying to find some sort of filing tray that i can attach to the back of a
    > kitchen cupboard door that i can use to store the lids for my various tupperware bowls. Obviously
    > they'd have to be thin enough so that i could shut the door.
    >
    > I've drawn a picture of what i'm trying to explain. It's available at
    > http://home.btconnect.com/dtwilliams/kitchen.gif
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas where i could get such an item in the UK? Suppose i could take a look in my
    > local stationary store.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions or alternatives ideas.
    >
    > Dan Williams

  14. Medium Gnome

    Medium Gnome Guest

    news:OXQ%[email protected]...
    > Nancy Young wrote:

    > >> Why not just store the lids on the appropriate container?
    > >>
    > >> ~john
    > >
    > > a) Then they wouldn't stack and would take up much more room
    > >
    > > b) All that trapped moisture, yuck. I always leave them stacked slightly askew to make sure
    > > they can really dry.
    > >
    > > nancy
    >
    > Heh. Dry the containers before storing them. I don't have tons of like-sized containers but they
    > still stack okay. The more flat ones go on the bottom, the medium-round ones on top of those and
    > the small round ones on top of those.
    >
    > I don't use 'Tupperware'; I use those Rubbermaid Serv'n'Savers. Much less expensive.
    >
    > Jill

    Rubbermaid is also much less air tight, much less guaranteed, much less durable if frozen...

    Yvette, big Tupperware fan.

  15. In article <[email protected]>, Dan Williams
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm getting increasingly frustrated at having to dig around the back of cupboards to find the
    > right size lids for a tupperware bowl.
    >
    > I've had the idea of trying to find some sort of filing tray that i can attach to the back of a
    > kitchen cupboard door that i can use to store the lids for my various tupperware bowls. Obviously
    > they'd have to be thin enough so that i could shut the door.
    >
    > I've drawn a picture of what i'm trying to explain. It's available at
    > http://home.btconnect.com/dtwilliams/kitchen.gif
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas where i could get such an item in the UK? Suppose i could take a look in my
    > local stationary store.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions or alternatives ideas.
    >
    > Dan Williams

    Hmmmmm. Tupperware does or did make a lid holder. The first one attached to whatever vertical
    surface at a 90 deg angle. It accommodated the tab lids that had a sort of slotted opening. The lids
    hung down from the rack vertically. The most recent lid holder I have from them is like a pocket
    file sort of thingy. I've just posted a picture of it to my web page <www.jamlady.eboard.com>. Hope
    that helps.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

  16. ConnieG999

    ConnieG999 Guest

    Dan Williams <[email protected]> writes:

    >Suppose i could take a look in my local stationary store.

    What you've drawn looks very much like a wall-mounted file pocket, called in this link a "wall
    file." They're available in all sizes, colors, configurations, price ranges, and even two or
    three stacked.

    http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=311542
    http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=141259

    Connie
    My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

  17. In article <[email protected]>, Levelwave(C)
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Dan Williams wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions or alternatives ideas.
    >

    > Why not just store the lids on the appropriate container?
    >
    > ~john

    Not a good use of space. The bowls often nest; with the lids on, they can't nest.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

  18. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    :
    : I've had the idea of trying to find some sort of filing tray
    that i can
    : attach to the back of a kitchen cupboard door that i can use to
    store the
    : lids for my various tupperware bowls. Obviously they'd have to
    be thin
    : enough so that i could shut the door.
    :
    : I've drawn a picture of what i'm trying to explain. It's available at
    http://home.btconnect.com/dtwilliams/kitchen.gif
    :
    : Anyone got any ideas where i could get such an item in the UK? Suppose i could take a look in my
    : local stationary store.
    :
    : Thanks in advance for any suggestions or alternatives ideas.
    :
    : Dan Williams
    ========

    Tupperware used to sell little gizmos very similar to your drawing that mounted inside the cabinet
    doors... You may want to contact a Tupperware representatives to see if you can get those.

    --
    Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

  19. Nancree

    Nancree Guest

    I use a plastic paper napkin holder inside a cabinet. Holds lots of lids.

  20. Helen C.

    Helen C. Guest

    [email protected] (Dan=A0Williams) wrote:

    I'm getting increasingly frustrated at having to dig around the back of cupboards to find the right
    size lids for a tupperware bowl. <snip> /////////

    I know this sounds kind of shabby sheik, but I use a shoe box that sets inside the cupboard for all
    my lids and stack bottoms, all like shapes, small inside of large on the neighboring shelves.

    Someone in a previous post mentioned that using a similar technique was worth the little time it
    took to do this. I agree, I can now match up lids with bottoms quickly and use the least amount of
    space possible. I wish I had done it sooner.

    Sincerely, Helen