Storage for Tupperware lids

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 23:29:32 -0600, "kevinsmom" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Dan Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I'm getting increasingly frustrated at having to dig around the back of cupboards to find the
>> right size lids for a tupperware bowl.
>
>http://order.tupperware.com/pls/htprod_www/tup_show_item.show_item_detail

" We're Sorry! This item is temporarily unavailable. If you like, you can locate a Tupperware
Consultant near you who may be able to provide this product to you directly."

-sw

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Not a good use of space. The bowls often nest; with the lids on, they can't nest.

Nest they can!... Ever heard of a Barrel of Monkeys? : ) Place a small bowl with the lid on inside a
bowl one size larger... then place the lid on top of that bowl... continue for bowl 2 +...+ n-1. As
long as you have sufficiently larger bowl then there is no space wasted...

~john

--
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun
registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our

"Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms
is the goal." -- Janet Reno US Attorney General

jmcquown wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:

> > b) All that trapped moisture, yuck. I always leave them stacked slightly askew to make sure
> > they can really dry.

> Heh. Dry the containers before storing them.

Heh yourself, dry them all you want, they're still damp.

nancy

Levelwave© wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> Not a good use of space. The bowls often nest; with the lids on, they can't nest.
>

> Nest they can!... Ever heard of a Barrel of Monkeys? : ) Place a small bowl with the lid on inside
> a bowl one size larger... then place the lid on top of that bowl... continue for bowl 2 +...+ n-1.
> As long as you have sufficiently larger bowl then there is no space wasted...
>
> ~john

This assumes they are all the same (relative) shape :)

Jill

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 23:50:07 +0000 (UTC), Dan Williams
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm getting increasingly frustrated at having to dig around the back of cupboards to find the
> right size lids for a tupperware bowl.

(snip)

> Thanks in advance for any suggestions or alternatives ideas.

Here's an alternate idea, since I have more lids to Tupperware, Rubbermaid, Glad Ware, etc., than a
cupboard-mount holder can contain: I keep all of the containers on one big shelf in my kitchen
cabinets, nested where that works with the sizes/shapes I have. All lids are stacked (upright, not
flat) in a dishpan in a drawer, by size.

So everything's relatively contained, and it's easy to find the right lid when needed. More
importantly, when I first set that up, it was obvious how many missing bits there were, so I bought
either lids or containers to match from Tupperware, and discarded items for which I could no longer
get the matching part.

In article <[email protected]>, Levelwave(C)
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > Not a good use of space. The bowls often nest; with the lids on, they can't nest.
>

> Nest they can!... Ever heard of a Barrel of Monkeys? : ) Place a small bowl with the lid on inside
> a bowl one size larger... then place the lid on top of that bowl... continue for bowl 2 +...+ n-1.
> As long as you have sufficiently larger bowl then there is no space wasted...
>
> ~john

DING!!! LOL!! I stand corrected! Thanks for that reminder.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

I've tried the basket system, looked for lid holders (too expensive)

finally decided the best way to store is with the lids on. saves later frustration. This will also
identify lids with no partners, ergo you can reduce lid clutter (bottom clutter too) they don't nest
well, they tend to stick or get wedged in too tight, and it's a pain and time waster to put them
away in proper nesting order.

sorry, I can't resist- stationERy, when you mean papER, stationAry when you mean plAce.

In rec.food.cooking val189 <[email protected]> wrote:

> finally decided the best way to store is with the lids on. saves later frustration. This will also
> identify lids with no partners, ergo you can reduce lid clutter (bottom clutter too)

Am I the only one who does this? I nest them, with the lid UNDER the container. So I take my big
huge lid, and put it on the shelf. Then the big huge container sits on top of it.

Into that, I put the medium lid, with the medium container on top of it.

And so on.

They nest, AND the lids stay with the proper container so I need not search for the right lid.

I have three stacks: One for the square containers, one for the rounds, and one for the oblongs.

--
...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

val189 wrote:

>I've tried the basket system, looked for lid holders (too expensive)
>
>finally decided the best way to store is with the lids on. saves later frustration. This will also
>identify lids with no partners, ergo you can reduce lid clutter (bottom clutter too) they don't
>nest well, they tend to stick or get wedged in too tight, and it's a pain and time waster to put
>them away in proper nesting order.
>
>sorry, I can't resist- stationERy, when you mean papER, stationAry when you mean plAce.

Okay, we're waiting for a report on you where abouts the last few days.

Barbara in CT

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:29:15 GMT, Barbara Mawdsley
<[email protected]> wrote:

>val189 wrote:
>
>>I've tried the basket system, looked for lid holders (too expensive)
>>
>>finally decided the best way to store is with the lids on. saves later frustration. This will also
>>identify lids with no partners, ergo you can reduce lid clutter (bottom clutter too) they don't
>>nest well, they tend to stick or get wedged in too tight, and it's a pain and time waster to put
>>them away in proper nesting order.

Someone has a nice big kitchen to store plastic containers with the lids on! As for me, I use the
basket system for lids and nest the bowls. I also have mastered jamming, then closing cupboard doors
really fast :>

Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>, Levelwave(C)
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> > Not a good use of space. The bowls often nest; with the lids on, they can't nest.
>>

>> Nest they can!... Ever heard of a Barrel of Monkeys? : ) Place a small bowl with the lid on
>> inside a bowl one size larger... then place the lid on top of that bowl... continue for bowl 2
>> +...+ n-1. As long as you have sufficiently larger bowl then there is no space wasted...
>>
>> ~john
>
> DING!!! LOL!! I stand corrected! Thanks for that reminder.

Nest, schmest. I nest the containers in the cupboard and have a kitchen drawer dedicated to
lids. Some of those poor lids get lost for years. Much like the mystery socks that never seem to
have a mate:)

Michael
--
Deathbed statement...

"Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm getting increasingly frustrated at having to dig around the back of cupboards to find the right
>size lids for a tupperware bowl.
>
>I've had the idea of trying to find some sort of filing tray that i can attach to the back of a
>kitchen cupboard door that i can use to store the lids for my various tupperware bowls. Obviously
>they'd have to be thin enough so that i could shut the door.
>
>I've drawn a picture of what i'm trying to explain. It's available at
>http://home.btconnect.com/dtwilliams/kitchen.gif
>
>Anyone got any ideas where i could get such an item in the UK? Suppose i could take a look in my
>local stationary store.
>
>Thanks in advance for any suggestions or alternatives ideas.
>
>Dan Williams

IKEA have inexpensive metal baskets designed for fixing inside kitchen cabinet doors. I have one
that is 33cm wide, 16cm high at the front and 11cm wide, IIRC cost about £3.

Rich

...stuff is just stuff. It can't love you, it can't take care of you. It is just something for you
to deal with--it complicates life. Brenda, arc 2004.

In article <[email protected]>, Dan Williams
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm getting increasingly frustrated at having to dig around the back of cupboards to find the
> right size lids for a tupperware bowl.
>
> I've had the idea of trying to find some sort of filing tray that i can attach to the back of a
> kitchen cupboard door that i can use to store the lids for my various tupperware bowls. Obviously
> they'd have to be thin enough so that i could shut the door.
>
> I've drawn a picture of what i'm trying to explain. It's available at
> http://home.btconnect.com/dtwilliams/kitchen.gif
>
> Anyone got any ideas where i could get such an item in the UK? Suppose i could take a look in my
> local stationary store.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions or alternatives ideas.
>
> Dan Williams

Dan, I see that you looked at the picture. Would you like me to check locally to see if they're
still making it? I'd be happy to send one to you. DO NOT USE AUTO-REPLY. Use barb no space schaller
at earthlink dot net.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

In regard to Dan's inquiry about storing Tupperware lids.... Many kitchens have gas as the fuel
resource, with the hood-over stove that has the odd and bulky "pipe" fixture within an all but
useless cupboard atop the hood-fan structure. I hadn't even thought of using that cupboard for
anything I actually use often until now. 'Twould make a good storage area for every lid I may have,
which must be over 50, but I've room for and am happy with what I have in use for storage. I use a
floor to ceiling, deep pantry-type cupboard for all of my baking pans, pitchers, measuring "cups"
and all my plastic storage containers. I am fortunate(?) to have a near never use for a Tupperware
sheet cake container, and one bread baking pan that I store all lids in...smaller ones stacked on
edge in size-order in the bread pan, larger ones stacked on edge in the cake carrier, both
containers sitting in the very front of the tallest shelf section, with my bigger congtainers
stacked inside one another behind them.

Picky ~JA~

Levelwave© <[email protected]> wrote in message Ever heard of a Barrel of Monkeys? : ) Place a small
> bowl with the lid on inside a bowl one size larger... then place the lid on top of that bowl...
> continue for bowl 2 +...+ n-1. As long as you have sufficiently larger bowl then there is no space
> wasted...

yeah, but doesn't this take a lot of discipline to put them back correctly according to the system?
also, a pain to retrieve the guy in the middle, no?

I store with lids on - course, I am blessed with tons of cabinets space, which I didn't always have.
I have been thru the nesting bit - big time.

In article <[email protected]>, Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not>
wrote: (snip)
> Nest, schmest. I nest the containers in the cupboard and have a kitchen drawer dedicated to
> lids. Some of those poor lids get lost for years. Much like the mystery socks that never seem to
> have a mate:)
>
> Michael

And I've been using glass jars for storage in the fridge. 1) I've got a boatload of glass jars in
varying sizes and shapes, 2) I can't pass up uncommonly shaped jars that I might use for preserving
(Zabar's upstairs has had some cool ones the last couple times I've been there.) I prefer the jars
because I've also got a bazillion lids (and there are only two sizes of canning jar lids that I
concern myself with). Contents are readily identifiable and the lids don't warp in the dishwasher.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

i used to have a tupperware lid holder but had more than it could cope with. i now use a large tub
(one that only gets used say for christmas or something needed only once or twice a year) and i put
all my lids in there. As for drying them thoroughly i either place them upside down on a radiator
for a few hours or give them a blast with the hairdryer. it's a lot better than trying to dry them
with a knife inside a towel and running the blade around each lid half a dozen times.!!!

Nancy Young wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>>Nancy Young wrote:
>

>>>b) All that trapped moisture, yuck. I always leave them stacked slightly askew to make sure they
>>> can really dry.
>

>>Heh. Dry the containers before storing them.
>

> Heh yourself, dry them all you want, they're still damp.
>
> nancy

Around here, clean dishes tend to hang around a couple of days before being put away. Always well
dried. :)

--Charlene

--
It would be better not know so many things than to know so many things that are not so. --
Felix Okoye

--

email perronnelle at earthlink . net