Storage for Tupperware lids

> Nest, schmest. I nest the containers in the cupboard and have a kitchen
> drawer dedicated to lids. Some of those poor lids get lost for years. Much
> like the mystery socks that never seem to have a mate:)
>
> Michael

About once a year my mother would match up the lids & bottoms and toss the "orphans". Somehow there
were always more lids than bottoms.

As for socks, according to my husband those are sock larvae. Every notice the socks disappear and
the hangers multiply?

--Charlene

--
It would be better not know so many things than to know so many things that are not so. --
Felix Okoye

--

email perronnelle at earthlink . net

I like IKEA's pie crust too. I bought some of those metal baskets from them that you described Rich.
They have IKEA in San Diego so that's why we're moving. Not really.

Yvette

"rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 23:50:07 +0000 (UTC), Dan Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I'm getting increasingly frustrated at having to dig around the back of cupboards to find the
> >right size lids for a tupperware bowl.
> >
> >I've had the idea of trying to find some sort of filing tray that i can attach to the back of a
> >kitchen cupboard door that i can use to store the lids for my various tupperware bowls. Obviously
> >they'd have to be thin enough so that i could shut the door.
> >
> >I've drawn a picture of what i'm trying to explain. It's available at
> >http://home.btconnect.com/dtwilliams/kitchen.gif
> >
> >Anyone got any ideas where i could get such an item in the UK? Suppose i could take a look in my
> >local stationary store.
> >
> >Thanks in advance for any suggestions or alternatives ideas.
> >
> >Dan Williams
>
> IKEA have inexpensive metal baskets designed for fixing inside kitchen cabinet doors. I have one
> that is 33cm wide, 16cm high at the front and 11cm wide, IIRC cost about £3.
>
> Rich
>
> ...stuff is just stuff. It can't love you, it can't take care of you. It
is just something
> for you to deal with--it complicates life. Brenda, arc 2004.

In article <[email protected]>, "Medium Gnome"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I like IKEA's pie crust too. I bought some of those metal baskets from them that you described
> Rich. They have IKEA in San Diego so that's why we're moving. Not really.

> Yvette

We're getting one next to the Mall of America here. My only experience with IKEA was in Calgary with
Harry Demidavicius. Oy, what fun!
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

In article <[email protected]>,
Charlene Charette <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Nest, schmest. I nest the containers in the cupboard and have a kitchen drawer dedicated to
> > lids. Some of those poor lids get lost for years. Much like the mystery socks that never seem to
> > have a mate:)
> >
> > Michael

> About once a year my mother would match up the lids & bottoms and toss the "orphans". Somehow
> there were always more lids than bottoms.

I'm a day away from that plan. I've got too much "stuff." And I know I've got more lids than bowls.

> As for socks, according to my husband those are sock larvae. Every notice the socks disappear and
> the hangers multiply?

<grin>

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

I like to go to IKEA to find out what a tidy room looks like. Actually I like to sit in the rooms
and know the phone won't ring for me, there are no dirty dishes, etc. The cupboards and drawers
are tidy and not stuffed with junk. Stuff is perfectly coordinated. It's like being in a fantasy
when I go there.

Yvette

"Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:barbschaller-
[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, "Medium Gnome"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I like IKEA's pie crust too. I bought some of those metal baskets from them that you described
> > Rich. They have IKEA in San Diego so that's why we're moving. Not really.
>
> > Yvette
>
> We're getting one next to the Mall of America here. My only experience with IKEA was in Calgary
> with Harry Demidavicius. Oy, what fun!
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

We just have two shelves in the cupboard for them. We nest similar shapes together. The lids just go
vertically to one side or the other.

Linda *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* "...What they say, don't believe; Every hope needs
room to breathe. Show me where it says I can't keep dreamin'. Ain't no law that says I can't keep
dreamin'..." .....Rupert Holmes, "Show Me Where It Says"

Barbara Mawdsley <[email protected]> wrote

> Okay, we're waiting for a report on you where abouts the last few days.

I jetted away to the South of France for some languorous days and nights with the local tall, tanned
tennis pro, an Adonis of half my age. But, my 54 cupboards beckoned me back to this more satsifying
existence replete with non-nesting Tupps.

That is how I do it: lid under the container, then the next smaller lid inside it and the matching
container on top of that lid.

I do have one set of bowls and covers that can nest inside one another with the covers on. They're
for Passover, meaning that they're used only about 8 days a year. Nesting with covers on seems
inconvenient for containers that get used frequently; wouldn't it be annoying to have to open
several containers before you could reach the smallest one?

> Am I the only one who does this? I nest them, with the lid UNDER the container. So I take my big
> huge lid, and put it on the shelf. Then the big huge container sits on top of it.
>
> Into that, I put the medium lid, with the medium container on top of it.
>
> And so on.
>
> They nest, AND the lids stay with the proper container so I need not search for the right lid.
>
> I have three stacks: One for the square containers, one for the rounds, and one for the oblongs.

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:44:08 GMT, [email protected]
(Curly Sue) wrote:

> I also have mastered jamming, then closing cupboard doors really fast :>

In my kitchen, sometimes additional "foot" support is needed to get the door closed. LOL!

"val189" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Barbara Mawdsley <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > Okay, we're waiting for a report on you where abouts the last
few days.

> I jetted away to the South of France for some languorous days
and
> nights with the local tall, tanned tennis pro, an Adonis of
half my
> age. But, my 54 cupboards beckoned me back to this more
satsifying
> existence replete with non-nesting Tupps.

I know, Vigo told me all about it while he was fixing drinks tonight. I did miss him, and you of
course, but he gives such good back massages and I was very glad he came back. Now if he can get
caught up on the laundry and finishing raking the leaves outside I'll be happy once more. I had
forgotten just how annoying decluttering and house work can be. *sigh* I broke a nail while
polishing my sink! Plus his new spandex and lycra workout outfit came while he was gone and I just
can't wait until DH leaves tomorrow so Vigo can try it on. You guys must have had some luscious
French meals, cause he looks like he might have added a pound or two. Shame on you, you should have
worked him harder.

Deena

Very clever.

I also like the hinges on your cabinet doors. They look like they would keep the doors shut better
than the simple hinges and tempermental latches on the "knob side" on ours.

Brenda

"Dan Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Thanks to everyone for their responses.
>
> I've managed to buy myself a box type folder from Staples Stationerys and screwed it to the back
> of our kitchen cupboard.
>
> I've taken a couple of pictures of it. They're available here:-
>
> http://home.btconnect.com/dtwilliams/kitchen.htm
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Dan

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 12:45:03 -0600, "I was the cat"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Very clever.
>
>I also like the hinges on your cabinet doors. They look like they would keep the doors shut better
>than the simple hinges and tempermental latches on the "knob side" on ours.
>
>Brenda

Those hinges look exactly like the ones on my IKEA cabinet. As well as holding the door shut, they
have another neat trick. At the back of the cabinet side of the hinge there is a little latch that
allows you to take the door off in a second. To put the door back, you line up the hinge with the
plate on the cabinet and push.

Agreed that Dan came up with a neat solution.

Rich

>"Dan Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Thanks to everyone for their responses.
>>
>> I've managed to buy myself a box type folder from Staples Stationerys and screwed it to the back
>> of our kitchen cupboard.
>>
>> I've taken a couple of pictures of it. They're available here:-
>>
>> http://home.btconnect.com/dtwilliams/kitchen.htm
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Dan

...stuff is just stuff. It can't love you, it can't take care of you. It is just something for you
to deal with--it complicates life. Brenda, arc 2004.

"Dan Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Thanks to everyone for their responses.
>
> I've managed to buy myself a box type folder from Staples Stationerys and screwed it to the back
> of our kitchen cupboard.
>
> I've taken a couple of pictures of it. They're available here:-
>
> http://home.btconnect.com/dtwilliams/kitchen.htm
>
> Thanks again.

Great solution, think I'll get rid of my baskets. It will give me much more space for stuff.

Gabby

"rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 12:45:03 -0600, "I was the cat" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Very clever.
> >
> >I also like the hinges on your cabinet doors. They look like they would
keep
> >the doors shut better than the simple hinges and tempermental latches on
the
> >"knob side" on ours.
> >
> >Brenda
>
> Those hinges look exactly like the ones on my IKEA cabinet. As well as holding the door shut, they
> have another neat trick. At the back of the cabinet side of the hinge there is a little latch that
> allows you to take the door off in a second. To put the door back, you line up the hinge with the
> plate on the cabinet and push.
>
> Agreed that Dan came up with a neat solution.
>
> Rich

I was hoping to learn that those hinges are available at any hardware store. We don't need new cabinets--
but those hinges would be nicer than the hardware we've got.

I can see why you like IKEA.

Brenda

"I was the cat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I was hoping to learn that those hinges are available at any hardware
store.
> We don't need new cabinets--but those hinges would be nicer than the hardware we've got.
>
> I can see why you like IKEA.
>
> Brenda

I think I saw them (or very similar ones) at Lee Valley yesterday. You can order on-line
www.leevalley.com . They probably are available at many hardware stores--especially ones like
Home Depot.

rona