Storage of Carbon Fiber Bike

Nik

Guest
All of my bikes, including a new carbon fiber bike are stored in an
enclosed, unheated garage. Should storage of a carbon fiber bike in
this environment be a concern?

Nik

Nik wrote:
> All of my bikes, including a new carbon fiber bike are stored in an
> enclosed, unheated garage. Should storage of a carbon fiber bike in
> this environment be a concern?
>
> Nik

-----------
I've always wondered about how CF ages.

On Feb 13, 9:13 am, Nik <[email protected]> wrote:
> All of my bikes, including a new carbon fiber bike are stored in an
> enclosed, unheated garage.  Should storage of a carbon fiber bike in
> this environment be a concern?
>
> Nik

Yes. It should be stored in my apartment. I'll email you my addresss.

/s

On Feb 13, 9:13 am, Nik <[email protected]> wrote:
> All of my bikes, including a new carbon fiber bike are stored in an
> enclosed, unheated garage. Should storage of a carbon fiber bike in
> this environment be a concern?
>
> Nik

No, carbon composites are stable at normal temperature ranges. Be more
careful about impacts, surface defects, cracks etc.

Ron
http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com

On Feb 13, 9:13 am, Nik <[email protected]> wrote:
> All of my bikes, including a new carbon fiber bike are stored in an
> enclosed, unheated garage. Should storage of a carbon fiber bike in
> this environment be a concern?
>
> Nik

Nik,

I wouldn't think so. Carbon composites are quite stable at normal
temperatures. If anything, be wary of cracks, impacts, weird noises or
surface defects.

Here's a link to read more :http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2008/01/
broken-steerer-tube-composites-are-not.html

Nik wrote:
> All of my bikes, including a new carbon fiber bike are stored in an
> enclosed, unheated garage. Should storage of a carbon fiber bike in
> this environment be a concern?

Yes, especially if drivers in your household zoom into the garage
returning from the bar. Doubly concerned if it's an SUV.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Feb 13, 6:24 am, Ron George <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 13, 9:13 am, Nik <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > All of my bikes, including a new carbon fiber bike are stored in an
> > enclosed, unheated garage. Should storage of a carbon fiber bike in
> > this environment be a concern?

> > Nik

> No, carbon composites are stable at normal temperature ranges. Be more
> careful about impacts, surface defects, cracks etc.
>
> Ronhttp://cozybeehive.blogspot.com

What are normal temperature ranges? Is + 40 to -40 C normal? (i.e.
-40 to +105 F)

"Nik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> All of my bikes, including a new carbon fiber bike are stored in an
> enclosed, unheated garage. Should storage of a carbon fiber bike in
> this environment be a concern?

My storage environment goes the other way - the bikes are stored in a garage
where according to a min-max thermometer the temperature sometimes hits 60C
(140F) on hot sunny summer afternoons. I used to wonder whether the epoxy
component of the resin would start to degrade over time at those
temperatures, but a bit of googling indicates that the maximum continuous
operating temperatures for epoxy are in the range 100-200C.

Nick

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 06:13:58 -0800 (PST), Nik <[email protected]>
wrote:

>All of my bikes, including a new carbon fiber bike are stored in an
>enclosed, unheated garage. Should storage of a carbon fiber bike in
>this environment be a concern?

I'd just be concerned about having a CF bike in general.

On Feb 13, 2:47 pm, Camilo <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 13, 6:24 am, Ron George <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 13, 9:13 am, Nik <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > All of my bikes, including a new carbon fiber bike are stored in an
> > > enclosed, unheated garage. Should storage of a carbon fiber bike in
> > > this environment be a concern?

> > > Nik

> > No, carbon composites are stable at normal temperature ranges. Be more
> > careful about impacts, surface defects, cracks etc.

> > Ronhttp://cozybeehive.blogspot.com

> What are normal temperature ranges? Is + 40 to -40 C normal? (i.e.
> -40 to +105 F)

Camillo,

Again, this depends on what resin and who makes the bikes and all.
However, with any reputable bike maker, I think they would put some
thought into stability of resin at a wide range of temperatures before
even settling to make a bicycle. yes I think -40 to +105 are fine. I
have had friends who rode Felt carbon fiber bikes in Dubai, where
temperatures exceed 120F. I also don't know of any house basement that
makes it to -40F!

On Feb 13, 4:12 pm, still just me <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 06:13:58 -0800 (PST), Nik <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >All of my bikes, including a new carbon fiber bike are stored in an
> >enclosed, unheated garage. Should storage of a carbon fiber bike in
> >this environment be a concern?

> I'd just be concerned about having a CF bike in general.

Yes, it is a comparatively new material and its good to be on the
doubting side. Be wary of manufacturer's you don't' know handling
carbon.

But TREK can provide the President with Carbon Fiber, (meaning THAT
much level of confidence so as not to let the leader of the world
down) :)

See : http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2008/02/presidents-first-mechanic.html

Nik wrote:
> All of my bikes, including a new carbon fiber bike are stored in an
> enclosed, unheated garage. Should storage of a carbon fiber bike in
> this environment be a concern?

Yes, since a true cyclist keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.
This is currently in mine:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/1939602865/>.

Nik wrote:

> All of my bikes, including a new carbon fiber bike are stored in an
> enclosed, unheated garage. Should storage of a carbon fiber bike in
> this environment be a concern?

Carbon fiber bikes should never be refrigerated-- this spoils their
unique flavor-- but they should be eaten when they are as fresh as
possible, their resin still stinky from the curing process. Take care
not to overcook them.

Chalo

On 2008-02-14, Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
> Nik wrote:
>> All of my bikes, including a new carbon fiber bike are stored in an
>> enclosed, unheated garage. Should storage of a carbon fiber bike in
>> this environment be a concern?
>>

> Yes, since a true cyclist keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.
> This is currently in mine:
><http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/1939602865/>.

Your bedroom looks like it might get a bit cold at night.

Chalo Colina wrote:
> Nik wrote:
>> All of my bikes, including a new carbon fiber bike are stored in an
>> enclosed, unheated garage. Should storage of a carbon fiber bike in
>> this environment be a concern?

> Carbon fiber bikes should never be refrigerated-- this spoils their
> unique flavor-- but they should be eaten when they are as fresh as
> possible, their resin still stinky from the curing process. Take care
> not to overcook them.

Note to self - do not accept dinner invitation from Chalo. ;)

Ben C? wrote:
> On 2008-02-14, Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Nik wrote:
>>> All of my bikes, including a new carbon fiber bike are stored in an
>>> enclosed, unheated garage. Should storage of a carbon fiber bike in
>>> this environment be a concern?
>>>

>> Yes, since a true cyclist keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.
>> This is currently in mine:
>> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/1939602865/>.

> Your bedroom looks like it might get a bit cold at night.

Cold is better for sleeping.

Nik <[email protected]> writes:

>All of my bikes, including a new carbon fiber bike are stored in an
>enclosed, unheated garage. Should storage of a carbon fiber bike in
>this environment be a concern?

Well, as you probably know, food is basically made up of carbon and
water. And, food is stored in the refrigerator (short term), or
freezer (long term).

So I therefore recommend you immerse the frameset in water and freeze
it in your freezer. And, to prevent tube collapse, you'll need to
drill small holes in each of the main tubes.

And, there is a specific warming temperature schedule you must follow
when thawing the frameset to prevent "carbon frame death", we all know
that after a few years, carbon frames go "dead", but by following my
procedures, carbon frames can be placed in suspended animation for 100
years or more ....

- Don "I wish sheldon were still here" Gillies
San Diego, CA