storage of deep fry oil

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by D, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. D

    D Guest

    Hello, first time to this group. I have a question, I've gotten mixed results when storing deep fry
    cooking oil. It seems to keep the longest if used only for frying fish and potatoes. If I fry any
    kind of beef or pork meat then I can only store it a couple of weeks even in the frig or it tends to
    smell a little rotten (depending on time frame) when I get it back out. I do strain it before
    storing. Can anyone give me some hard facts about storage of deep fry oil and the safe time limit
    given certain variables.

    Tags:

  2. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "D" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello, first time to this group. I have a question, I've gotten mixed results when storing deep
    > fry cooking oil. It seems to keep the longest if used only for frying fish and potatoes. If I fry
    > any kind of beef or pork meat then I can only store it a couple of weeks even in the frig or it
    > tends to smell a little rotten (depending on time frame) when I get it back out. I do strain it
    > before storing. Can anyone give me some hard facts about storage of deep fry oil and the safe time
    > limit given certain variables.

    Hard facts, no, but my experience, yes. WHen new oil is used to fry fairly mild things it can be
    kept and reused. These include potatoes, hush puppies, battered or coated fish, tempura, and the
    like. The second use should be for something more flavorful so the flavors the oil picked up the
    first time will not be noticable. Then it should be discarded. If oil is originally used for
    something flavorful it should be discarded after that one use. The main cause, I believe, of
    unpleasant deep-fried food is people trying to use their oil too long.

    --
    Peter Aitken