Storage solution indoors?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by commuterman, Jan 28, 2016.

1. commuterman

commuterman New Member

Hi,

I am new to the forum and in fact just started to commute on a bike after 7 year car period.

I bought a nice touring bike. The problem is that it takes up so much space in my hallway and I'm looking for a nice storage solution. Maybe a way to hang in on a wall. Do you have any suggestions?

I've done some research and the ones I like are:
    1. The Bike Hanger by KP Cykler - reminds me of antlers and looks cool.
    2. Clug - won't be on the way when the bike is out.
    3. daHanger - nice storage for the helmet, lock etc.

Has anyone bought any of them? Which would you have?

2. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Active Member

Hanging the bike on the wall seems to be the most popular option for most bikers nowadays. Most of my friends live in apartments, where space is restricted. They pretty much hang their bikes on the wall. Another mate stores his bike below the ceiling of his shed. He built a bracket that's suspended from the ceiling and it works quite well.

Ladyferoz likes this.
  3. Ladyferoz

Ladyferoz New Member

Tha
    That is a tough choice, they all look amazing, to be honest. I have not used any of them but I am considering buying number one now. It is stylish, minimalistic and quite affordable. You have great choices, you know what is important to you, for example, do you prefer the one with the helmet storage (option 3) or do you want to save space (option 2)?

4. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

I never saw the DaHanger before, that's kind of cool! I like it the best of the three because you have a small shelf with room for your helmet and shoes and maybe some other small stuff. The Clug I wouldn't bother with it's to small and I don't have a lot of faith in something like that. The Bike Hanger is WAY overpriced, you can get similar stuff at Walmart and just cover the hooks with old handlebar tape or an old tube and tape them so they don't unravel, or you could buy this instead for a lot less money: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1023886_-1_400245__400245

But the problem with that DaHanger thing is that it's only good for one bike, which may be great for you if you have no plans to buy a second bike. If you plan sometime to get a second bike there are wall storage hangers that sit flat against a wall and can hold two bikes one above the other, see: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1023853_-1_400245__400245 This thing would take very little space and it would take the same space for one bike as it would for two.

chrislee99777 likes this.
  5. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

I still have to see a bike hanging on the wall since over here there seems to always have a space in the garage of stock room. But I guess that wall hanger is a cute one similar to the bracket they attach to the rear of the car. Or maybe you can buy a rope with a hook where you can hang your bike from the ceiling, but this one would require a high ceiling.

chrislee99777 likes this.
  6. moneyman

moneyman Member

I considered of taking my bike to my apartment for winter season although decided not to since my apartment is so small. However I found a warm storage place for it which not only keeps the bike safe from thieves but protects it from weather.

7. 74Kaneway

74Kaneway New Member

Option 1. Classy, clean, functional.

8. Keyan

Keyan Member

This is the same issue I face now. I just let my bike parked inside my small studio apartment. It takes some space and starts to become an eyesore for some visitors. I am thinking hanging it by the wall is the best option. I wonder if that would require drilling the wall

9. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Drilling the wall is probably required, when you do drill first find a stud, you can do that by buying a stud finder or if you have good ears you can tap on the wall with a hammer till the sound changes to a more solid type of sound. Either a finder or ear the sound or light on the finder will change or go off when you reach either edge of the stud, drill your hole in the center of those changes and then use a hex screw (hex will not round off like a phillips slot can but you do have to buy the right size hex bit) to attach the rack to the wall. Some people say to simply use a molly bolt or a toggle bolt, but depending on the weight, which is this case is 20 or so pounds, and if you get the wrong size bolt it could tear out of the wall leaving a large patch job not to mentioned if it occurs sometime later the bike crashing and breaking the bike and breaking whatever it falls on. So find a stud and never worry about it.

10. commuterman

commuterman New Member

Thanks everyone for your help. I ended up going for option 1 from KP Cykler:
    http://kpcykler.com/shop/product/the-bike-hanger-by-kp-cykler/

It took 2 weeks to arrive in mail, but I'm very-very happy with how it looks. Very classy and it's nice to support a small company. Now I just have to go get some drywall anchors..

11. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

I also know a few people that have had storage issues that have gone for the wall hanging solution and its worked out best for them.

Not wanting to sound too obvious, but obviously the main thing to look out for is making sure it's secure and the wall your choosing is strong enough to support the bike itself. That might sound like a strange thing to say, but in the new build apartments, half the walls can barely support a picture, let alone anything else!

12. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Not sure why you want to spend $100 for something you could have gotten the same concept for just $18 but to each their own.

13. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlands Member

Wall hanging is a great solution, as it means that your bike is out of the way and you're not going to get people tripping over it all the time. I just leant my against the wall for years, and it was forever in the way when people came to the house and didn't know it was going to be there when they walked through the front door. But now I am much more organised with my storage, and I am happy to say that my family are certainly very grateful indeed for this.

14. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Where could they have got the storage solution they needed for as little as $18 though? I'm not saying your wrong by the way, it's just I've never seen this type of storage for that little, so if you can do this for under 20 bucks, then I'll keep it in mind for the future, just in case I'll need it.

15. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

16. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

I read your post (post 4 on the thread) but for some reason I couldn't click your links, but now I can, so sorry about that. I'll definitely be having a look at a few of those options if I need to in the future.

At the moment the bikes are in the garage, but I am moving to a smaller place soon so I'm going to have to sort a solution out, and selling the bikes isn't an option of course!

17. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

If you have more than one bike those hook type of things will end up taking up more space unless you mount one above the other then you have make sure your measurements are exact. Instead of doing that and making holes in walls there is a double bike rack that requires putting no holes in the wall; see: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1023873_-1_400245__400245 Or this one that I showed before: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1023853_-1_400245__400245 Either of those two would allow two bikes to be stored in the same space that one would normally take.

18. Raider19

Raider19 New Member

The best way to store a bike is on a wall or hanging from the ceiling. What I do is store my bikes under my house and when it comes to long term storage I hang them from the floor joists under the house.

19. chrislee99777

chrislee99777 Member

Welcome to forum!If you have enough place to storage you bike,just hang it on the wall!Even can hang two bikes vertical.