Storing a mountain bike outside in rainy climate

Thomas Richards

Guest
I need to store my aluminium mountain bike outside. I live
in a part of the UK where it rains most of the time but
rarely freezes.

I need to find a low cost, low-space-using solution ASAP as
my wife is considering leaving my bike outside for the
dustmen if I don't get it sorted.

I've been looking at bike bags, vac-bag and rome bag. Has
anyone used one of these bags to any success?

Thanks Tom

Thomas Richards wrote:
> I need to store my aluminium mountain bike outside. I live
> in a part of the UK where it rains most of the time but
> rarely freezes.
>
> I need to find a low cost, low-space-using solution ASAP
> as my wife is considering leaving my bike outside for the
> dustmen if I don't get it sorted.
>
> I've been looking at bike bags, vac-bag and rome bag. Has
> anyone used one of these bags to any success?
>

> Thanks Tom

Is there anywhere in the garden that you could make a lean-
to shelter for the bike? Would just require a few lengths of
timber and some of that corrugated PVC roof sheet. If you
are hoping for security too, get a very heavy chain from a
builders merchant and set one end of it in a good depth of
concrete in the ground, and use a heavy lock to secure the
bike to the chain. Let your wife know that 'most bikers get
to keep theirs indoors', then any outdoor solutions you
choose will seem like a good idea to her...

Let us know what you decide upon.

--
Mark

Thomas Richards wrote:

> I need to store my aluminium mountain bike outside. I live
> in a part of the UK where it rains most of the time but
> rarely freezes.
>
> I need to find a low cost, low-space-using solution ASAP
> as my wife is considering leaving my bike outside for the
> dustmen if I don't get it sorted.
>
> I've been looking at bike bags, vac-bag and rome bag. Has
> anyone used one of these bags to any success?
>

> Thanks Tom

Leave the wife outside!
--
Slacker

....................put the wife in a bag instead?

"Thomas Richards" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
news:[email protected]...

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 04:47:56 -0700, Thomas Richards wrote:

> I need to store my aluminium mountain bike outside. I live
> in a part of the UK where it rains most of the time but
> rarely freezes.
>
> I need to find a low cost, low-space-using solution ASAP
> as my wife is considering leaving my bike outside for the
> dustmen if I don't get it sorted.
>
> I've been looking at bike bags, vac-bag and rome bag. Has
> anyone used one of these bags to any success?

Your bike will get nicked if you leave it outside. Try and
find a solution with the missus whereby it gets to stay in
the bedroom, where it belongs :)

"Thomas Richards" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I need to store my aluminium mountain bike outside. I live
> in a part of the UK where it rains most of the time but
> rarely freezes.
>
> I need to find a low cost, low-space-using solution ASAP
> as my wife is considering leaving my bike outside for the
> dustmen if I don't get it sorted.
>
> I've been looking at bike bags, vac-bag and rome bag. Has
> anyone used one of these bags to any success?
>

> Thanks Tom

Seriously, the wife is the problem here. Get a workstand,
put it in the corner, and keep the bike there. Get hooks
and put it on the ceiling. If there is a couch or something
big up against a wall, slide it out 6 inches and slide the
bike in there.

If she can't give you a couple square feet for something you
care about, she doesn't care about you.

Real bikes are complex machines that, though designed for
periodic abuse, cannot withstand sustained neglect. If you
leave it outside, it will get crappy.

Chris

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 21:48:00 +0200, bomba wrote:

> Your bike will get nicked if you leave it outside. Try and
> find a solution with the missus whereby it gets to stay in
> the bedroom, where it belongs :)

Awhile back, a fellow wrote about how he built a wooden
cabinet that goes behind the sofa; from the sofa it looks
like a table (and is probably a handy place to set drinks
and such), but from the side there was a door to slide the
bike into. That'd be my recommendation.

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail
address, at least)

Chris wrote:
> "Thomas Richards" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I need to store my aluminium mountain bike outside. I
>> live in a part of the UK where it rains most of the time
>> but rarely freezes.
>>
>> I need to find a low cost, low-space-using solution ASAP
>> as my wife is considering leaving my bike outside for the
>> dustmen if I don't get it sorted.
>>
>> I've been looking at bike bags, vac-bag and rome bag. Has
>> anyone used one of these bags to any success?
>>

>> Thanks Tom
>
> Seriously, the wife is the problem here. Get a workstand,
> put it in the corner, and keep the bike there. Get hooks
> and put it on the ceiling. If there is a couch or
> something big up against a wall, slide it out 6 inches and
> slide the bike in there.
>
> If she can't give you a couple square feet for something
> you care about, she doesn't care about you.
>
> Real bikes are complex machines that, though designed for
> periodic abuse, cannot withstand sustained neglect. If you
> leave it outside, it will get crappy.
>
> Chris

I was going to suggest an arty looking wall rack, but yah,
what he said.

penny

Doki wrote:
> Just do what I do, and stick it in the corner of the
> bedroom ;).

Yeah, with her out of the way there is plenty of room on the
bed for the bike....
--
Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Chris wrote:
> Real bikes are complex machines that, though designed for
> periodic abuse, cannot withstand sustained neglect.

What a great line. I'm gonna have to remember that and use
on the wife to justify the next..., well, anything bike
related. :)
--

bomba wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 04:47:56 -0700, Thomas Richards wrote:
>

>>I need to store my aluminium mountain bike outside. I live
>>in a part of the UK where it rains most of the time but
>>rarely freezes.
>>
>>I need to find a low cost, low-space-using solution ASAP
>>as my wife is considering leaving my bike outside for the
>>dustmen if I don't get it sorted.
>>
>>I've been looking at bike bags, vac-bag and rome bag. Has
>>anyone used one of these bags to any success?
>

> Your bike will get nicked if you leave it outside.

The paint will get nicked by a falling branch or hail or
something?

Confuded, Greg

nicked is British for stolded.

> bomba wrote:
> > On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 04:47:56 -0700, Thomas Richards
> > wrote:
> >

> >>I need to store my aluminium mountain bike outside. I
> >>live in a part of the UK where it rains most of the time
> >>but rarely freezes.
> >>
> >>I need to find a low cost, low-space-using solution ASAP
> >>as my wife is considering leaving my bike outside for
> >>the dustmen if I don't get it sorted.
> >>
> >>I've been looking at bike bags, vac-bag and rome bag.
> >>Has anyone used one of these bags to any success?
> >

> > Your bike will get nicked if you leave it outside.
>
> The paint will get nicked by a falling branch or hail or
> something?
>
> Confuded, Greg

>>> Your bike will get nicked if you leave it outside.
>>
>> The paint will get nicked by a falling branch or hail or
>> something?
>
> In English, 'nicked' means the same as 'half-inched'.

As in "the guy with the cool corvette was only able to nick
his girlfriend"?

[email protected] (Thomas Richards) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I need to store my aluminium mountain bike outside. I live
> in a part of the UK where it rains most of the time but
> rarely freezes.
>
> I need to find a low cost, low-space-using solution ASAP
> as my wife is considering leaving my bike outside for the
> dustmen if I don't get it sorted.
>
> I've been looking at bike bags, vac-bag and rome bag. Has
> anyone used one of these bags to any success?
>

> Thanks Tom

Smear it with vaseline.

.

"Thomas Richards" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I need to store my aluminium mountain bike outside. I live
> in a part of the UK where it rains most of the time but
> rarely freezes.
>
> I need to find a low cost, low-space-using solution ASAP
> as my wife is considering leaving my bike outside for the
> dustmen if I don't get it sorted.

Are you happy with your wife otherwise? Because it really
sounds as if she is the problem and not your bike.

Got room for a long thin shed? I saw a "bike shed" at B&Q
last weekend. Made of wood and would hold 3 bikes side by
side at a pinch. Can't remember how much it was.

"Fred Fragger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Got room for a long thin shed? I saw a "bike shed" at B&Q
> last weekend. Made of wood and would hold 3 bikes side by
> side at a pinch. Can't remember how much it was.

Thanks - this looks good.

To all the others who suggested getting rid of the wife:
I've costed both out and bike storage is by far the
cheaper option!

"Thomas Richards" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Fred Fragger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Got room for a long thin shed? I saw a "bike shed" at
> > B&Q last weekend.
Made
> > of wood and would hold 3 bikes side by side at a pinch.
> > Can't remember
how
> > much it was.
>
> Thanks - this looks good.
>
> To all the others who suggested getting rid of the wife:
> I've costed both out and bike storage is by far the
> cheaper option!

That's funny! I'm glad you saw the humor in that...