Storing an unused bike..

Pacesetter

Sep 19, 2003
Hey crew just a quick question about storing an unused bike...i know, i know i should be using it...but there are only so many hours in a day and despite my efforts i am only one person.

So I was wondering what is the best way to store a bike that's not getting used very much - i mean can the tires develop 'flat spots' or is someone telling me fibs??

Originally posted by Pacesetter
Hey crew just a quick question about storing an unused bike...i know, i know i should be using it...but there are only so many hours in a day and despite my efforts i am only one person.

So I was wondering what is the best way to store a bike that's not getting used very much - i mean can the tires develop 'flat spots' or is someone telling me fibs??

First I have to ask, how long are you intending on 'storing' this bike? (Stored in a shed out side? Damp or dry climate? etc.). I would put the bike away with approx. 30 ~ 45 psi in the tires, and if you can, install a couple of bike hooks to hang in from the rims. You might consider re-lubricating the bike once you take it out of storage

Originally posted by Pacesetter

Don't let it sit around on FLAT tires. Even if fully inflated,they can slowly go flat.

Cipher's right, and the rumours are true enough to take a few precautions. A bike resting for a long time runs the risk of deforming its tires unless you keep it off of them. The easiest way to do that, with the least amount of special hardware, is to hang the whole thing upside down from the rims, via a pair of coated hooks.

Tune it, lube it, hang it.

There is some disagreement on if hanging from the rims is the way to go depending on your rims and such.

Some of mine hang by the rims though, some by the frame, and some just standing up against a wall in the corner. I try to air up the tires every month or three regardless.

Originally posted by treebound
Tune it, lube it, hang it.

There is some disagreement on if hanging from the rims is the way to go depending on your rims and such.

Some of mine hang by the rims though, some by the frame, and some just standing up against a wall in the corner. I try to air up the tires every month or three regardless.
There is no issue with hanging by rims unless one is dealing with a suspension fork that in some cases can leak fuuid. As for bike tires and flat spots,they are no different than auto tires and the flats go away as soon as they are ridden if in fact they even do develope.The danger of sitting on tires is that if theyy do flat the tires and tube are more susceptible to damage from cracking. Keep it away form ozone sources like electric motors in poorly vented areas,as the ozone can degrade rubber.

Not knowing what wheels someone has and the kind of hangers they are using and if they are using a one-hook hanger with the lower tire resting against the wall or a two-hook hanger with the bike hanging bat-style from a rafter I thought it wise to offer up some concern rather than a blank global statement. Don't think I'd hang a c/f tri-spoke by the wheels, YMMV. ;)

Plus I once saw a bike hanging from a rafter bat-style with about a dozen coats on coathangers and a pair of fishing waders hanging from it, probably about 40Lbs of gear. Ya just never know what someone will do with a little advice sometimes. :)

I don't think I'd hang a bike with Spinergy wheels by the rim, just wouldn't feel right.
http://www.roadbikereview.com/Wheelsets/Spinergy, Inc.,Rev,-,X/PRD_28324_2490crx.aspx

I´ve been hanging a Mendiz with Mavic wheels ( 32 spoke ) by an upper hook and resting the rear against the wall for a few years now and no problem . When my Mother fell and broke her knee and I had to play nurse / cook / bottle washer for 6 months and could not ride , all I did was check the tyre pressures once a month , no problem . Tyres OK , wheels still round and true .

Is it true that the seat post of the bike must be removed for prevention of it being seized onto the frame ?