Storing ball bearings not in use?

John Thompson wrote:
> On 2007-07-22, Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>
>> My wife keeps mine in a jar.

> Michael: ball *BEARINGS* -- this is a family group, remember...

Yes. A very disfunctional family. ;^)

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet" - gene d
On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:01:07 -0000, datakoll <[email protected]>
wrote:

>The bags are ok-tape shut.
>http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39174032
>Wal and H-D carry boxes that seal well with a sheet of plastic
>material laid across the open box then top closed on it.
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silica_gel
>the idea is preventing moisture entry or condensation thru temperature
>differentials.
>The packaged oil is maybe all right but your oil may carry water! So
>the elevation from the bottom- a sump- is a good idea.
>The primo method for humid and uncontrolled climates could be linseed
>oil in pill bottles with a sumped bottom: bottles then placed ikn an
>Otter with desiccant.
>Desiccant requires a closed and closed in a dry warm atmosphere
>environment otherwise the desiccant will attract excess moisture.
> if you develop a method for avoiding the magnetic field without extra
>energy input please email.

but but but you make a pretty good case for ceramics! Solves the
water/rust issue as well as giving a complete miss to the magnetic
field.

It's still probably not a good idea to put dessicant in otters though.

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Since 1983
Comprehensive catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996
http://www.businesscycles.com
-------------------------------

John Dacey wrote:
> "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet" - gene d

> but but but you make a pretty good case for ceramics! Solves the
> water/rust issue as well as giving a complete miss to the magnetic
> field.
>
> It's still probably not a good idea to put dessicant in otters though.

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet" - gene d
!!!
All time best classical reference!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:02:11 -0500, A Muzi <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> datakoll <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> The bags are ok-tape shut.
>>> http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39174032
>>> Wal and H-D carry boxes that seal well with a sheet of plastic
>>> material laid across the open box then top closed on it.
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silica_gel
>>> the idea is preventing moisture entry or condensation thru temperature
>>> differentials.
>>> The packaged oil is maybe all right but your oil may carry water! So
>>> the elevation from the bottom- a sump- is a good idea.
>>> The primo method for humid and uncontrolled climates could be linseed
>>> oil in pill bottles with a sumped bottom: bottles then placed ikn an
>>> Otter with desiccant.
>>> Desiccant requires a closed and closed in a dry warm atmosphere
>>> environment otherwise the desiccant will attract excess moisture.
>>> if you develop a method for avoiding the magnetic field without extra
>>> energy input please email.

>John Dacey wrote:
>> "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet" - gene d

>> but but but you make a pretty good case for ceramics! Solves the
>> water/rust issue as well as giving a complete miss to the magnetic
>> field.
>>
>> It's still probably not a good idea to put dessicant in otters though.

>"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet" - gene d
>!!!
>All time best classical reference!

Dear Andrew,

For those not familiar with the phrase . . .

http://www.lorem-ipsum.info/

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Dans le message de news:[email protected],
[email protected] <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré
:

--
Sandy
--

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:02:11 -0500, A Muzi <[email protected]>
> wrote:

> >John Dacey wrote:
> >> "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet" - gene d

> >> but but but you make a pretty good case for ceramics! Solves the
> >> water/rust issue as well as giving a complete miss to the magnetic
> >> field.
> >>
> >> It's still probably not a good idea to put dessicant in otters though.

> >"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet" - gene d
> >!!!
> >All time best classical reference!

> Dear Andrew,
>
> For those not familiar with the phrase . . .
>
> http://www.lorem-ipsum.info/

And here is a Lorem ipsum generator.
<URL:http://www.lipsum.com/>

--
Michael Press

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> On Jul 21, 11:42 am, [email protected] wrote:
>> I just bought an assortment of different sized ball bearings for my
>> hubs and pedals. With 100 pieces for each size I suspect they will
>> last me several years, so now I wonder how to store them correctly so
>> they don't rust.
>> They came in small plastic bags folded and stapled together. It looks
>> like there is a very thin oil film on the bearings.
>> My first thought was to put them in zip-lock bags and pour some Finish
>> Line Cross Country wet lube into each bag, but is this good enough for
>> storing them for perhaps 3-5 years, or should I use grease, or
>> airtight containers, or is the supplied oil film good enough? How do
>> you store them?
>>

> I've kept mine in a sac since childhood. ;-)

There's quite a bit of support for the possibility that you don't have
any balls.

Greg

--
The ticketbastard Tax Tracker: