Storing Bicycles (newby)

Al Spohn

Guest
Is leaning a bike against a wall as a storage solution actually bad for it structurally? How about
hanging it inverted with hooks through each rim? Is there an ideal day to day storage technique? Any
reason why this should differ from longer term storage techniques?

Thanks for bearing with me!

- Al

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 13:39:06 -0500, Al Spohn <[email protected]> wrote:

>Is leaning a bike against a wall as a storage solution actually bad for it structurally?

No, except when someone knocks it over.

>How about hanging it inverted with hooks through each rim?

No problem, those wheels support YOU, they will support the bike's weight fine.

> Is there an ideal day to day storage technique?

Somewhere that's easy to access, as you'll be riding every day. <G>

Barry

> How about hanging it inverted with hooks through each rim?

I would run the hooks through the wheel, *around* each rim. Putting a hook through the rim might
damage it just a bit! :>)

You can store a bike pretty much any way you please without causing damage, although it's not a good
idea to have a bike sit on top of flat tires for any length of time, as that might do a number on
the tire casing.

For a more authoritative discussion, do a search on www.dejanews.com using the following words-

bicycle storage heavy air

Read all relevant entries from rec.bicycles.misc and rec.bicycles.tech

news:<[email protected]>...

> For a more authoritative discussion, do a search on www.dejanews.com using the following words-
>
> bicycle storage heavy air
>
> Read all relevant entries from rec.bicycles.misc and rec.bicycles.tech

Dejanews? Dejanews?! What planet have you been hanging out at recently?

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky ([email protected]) Home of the meditative cyclist:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm Singing with you at: http://www.tiferet.net/ Books
just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 13:39:06 -0500, Al Spohn <[email protected]> wrote:

>Is leaning a bike against a wall as a storage solution actually bad for it structurally? How about
>hanging it inverted with hooks through each rim? Is there an ideal day to day storage technique?
>Any reason why this should differ from longer term storage techniques?
>
>Thanks for bearing with me!
>
>- Al

Bikes are creatures of habit, and so you may find that always leaving the bike leaning the same
way will cause it to adopt a leaning stance while you are riding it. It is therefore strongly
recommended that you alternate the direction of lean in storage - right side one day and left
side the next.

Similarly with wheels, you wouldn't want to be hanging from between the same spokes every day so
make sure that you rotate the wheels daily. This is good for the rims and it encourages the air to
distribute evenly in the tubes avoiding any heavy spots.

Ideally, the bike should be allowed to relax completely between rides, a soft matress kept for the
purpose is ideal. (Make sure to alternate which side it rests on though).

On 22 Jun 2003 22:11:52 -0700, [email protected] (Claire Petersky) wrote:

>Dejanews? Dejanews?! What planet have you been hanging out at recently?

Well, the url still/again works. It's still the dejanews archive, or if you're feeling frisky the
Dejagoogle.. No newfanled Google Groups nomenclature for me, thanks.

Jasper

In article <[email protected]>, johns- [email protected] says...
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 13:39:06 -0500, Al Spohn <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Is leaning a bike against a wall as a storage solution actually bad for it structurally? How
> >about hanging it inverted with hooks through each rim? Is there an ideal day to day storage
> >technique? Any reason why this should differ from longer term storage techniques?
> >
> >Thanks for bearing with me!
> >
> >- Al
>
> Bikes are creatures of habit, and so you may find that always leaving the bike leaning the same
> way will cause it to adopt a leaning stance while you are riding it. It is therefore strongly
> recommended that you alternate the direction of lean in storage - right side one day and left side
> the next.
>
> Similarly with wheels, you wouldn't want to be hanging from between the same spokes every day so
> make sure that you rotate the wheels daily. This is good for the rims and it encourages the air to
> distribute evenly in the tubes avoiding any heavy spots.
>
> Ideally, the bike should be allowed to relax completely between rides, a soft matress kept for the
> purpose is ideal. (Make sure to alternate which side it rests on though).

As it happens, there's a waterbed in my garage that I've never been able to give away, so that wold
ordinarily be ideal for my bike's nap time. Unfortunately my bike is currently suffering from
Restless Wheel Syndrome, and I couldn't risk flooding the garage in the event of a nocturnal
mattress puncture...