Storing bike boxes in Paris

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Eah, Jun 14, 2003.

  1. Eah

    Eah Guest

    Anyone have any suggestions on where to store hard shell bike boxes upon arrival at Charles De
    Gaulle Airport/Paris? The airport has eliminated left luggage due to security reasons. I know that
    many hotels will provide a left luggage service if you stay there but we plan on immediately heading
    south out of Paris to the Pyrenees. Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "EAH" wrote
    > Anyone have any suggestions on where to store hard shell bike boxes upon arrival at Charles De
    > Gaulle Airport/Paris? The airport has eliminated left luggage due to security reasons. I know that
    > many hotels will provide a left luggage service if you stay there but we plan on immediately
    > heading south out of Paris to the Pyrenees. Thanks.

    Are you cycling from Paris to the Pyrenees or transporting the bikes from Paris to the Pyrenees and
    then cycling? If you're taking a train from Paris to the Pyrenees you'll need to have the bikes in
    containers in order to take them on most long distance trains in France. If you're cycling from
    Paris to the Pyrenees you might want to consider one night in a hotel in Paris just to get the left
    luggage option. Another option is to fly into Paris with the bikes in cardboard boxes from a bike
    shop, pitch the boxes when you arrive, and buy fresh boxes for the trip home. Lots of airports have
    shops on the premises that sell various shipping containers to people in situations like yours.
    Check the website for Charles de Gaulle airport and see what you can find.

    A third option is to take the bikes on the plane fully assembled and unboxed. There are people who
    believe that baggage handlers will treat an unboxed bike more carefully than a faceless box. I
    suspect that this would work best on a direct flight to Paris.

    Sorry if this isn't exactly the answer you were looking for, but maybe you could get a better
    response by being a little more specific about your travel plans.
    --
    mark

  3. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "EAH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone have any suggestions on where to store hard shell bike boxes upon arrival at Charles De
    > Gaulle Airport/Paris? The airport has eliminated left luggage due to security reasons. I know that
    > many hotels will provide a left luggage service if you stay there but we plan on immediately
    > heading south out of Paris to the Pyrenees. Thanks.

    There are a couple of hotels at CDG. You could check with them ahead of time to see if they'll take
    your hard cases even if you're not staying.

    Most of the TGV don't have baggage cars and bikes must be dismantled and put into a "housse" of
    specific dimensions (I think 90cm x 120cm, but you'd have to double check) that will fit in the
    carryon areas at the ends of each car. Some of the traditional corail do have baggage cars that will
    take bikes, but they are definitely not a majority of trains, so you'd have to check there, too. If
    you don't take a corail with a baggage car, you'll most likely have to put it in a housse, also. I
    know a guy who was lucky enough a few years ago to take a nearly empty TGV so he didn't have to
    dismantle his bike, but this is almost surely not something one can count on.

  4. Eah

    Eah Guest

    We will be renting a car in Paris and driving down to the Pyrenees with our bikes. I plan on
    "rebuilding" the bikes at CDG airport and then using a trunk mounted bike rack for
    transporting them.

    The cardboard box suggestion is a good one and would probably work if we were just taking touring
    bikes. However, we are doing L'Etape du Tour and will be bringing our very nice racing bikes. I
    definitely do not want to chance what could happen to them in a cardboard box on British Air! We
    went through an unfortunate experience years ago when the airline cargo guys almost destroyed a
    front wheel on one of our touring bikes enroute to Amsterdam. It took several days to get it fixed.

    Anyhow, perhaps calling ahead to some hotels near CDG to see if they are willing to let us leave the
    hard shell boxes with them without staying might be the best answer at this point. Any other
    suggestions would definitely be welcome. Thanks.

  5. On 16 Jun 2003 13:00:26 -0700, [email protected] (EAH) wrote:

    >Anyhow, perhaps calling ahead to some hotels near CDG to see if they are willing to let us leave
    >the hard shell boxes with them without staying might be the best answer at this point. Any other
    >suggestions would definitely be welcome. Thanks.

    Make not-too-subtly clear that you don't mind paying for the privilege. Possibly you might even get
    someone who's nice enough then to do it for free.

    Jasper