Storing bikes long term

PhilD

Guest
Like many, I have several bikes I don't use very often, they being for
"emergency" use. They are thus stored for long periods out of use in
the garage.

Is it better to store with the tyres inflated or deflated?

Recently I had cause to take a bike out of store that had deflated
tyres. When I pumped up one wheel the inner tube burst (sufficiently
loudly for neighbours to come outside wondering what was going on!).

In addition, I found two broken spokes on what was a perfectly
acceptable wheel when in regular use. Does anyone have any suggestions
as to how to prevent this happening again? A "five minute" job to
bring the bike back into use turned out to be a "more than two hour"
job (most time taken trying to find correct-sized components, and
traipsing back and forth to the garage to get tools).

PhilD

--
<><

PhilD wrote:
> Like many, I have several bikes I don't use very often, they being for
> "emergency" use. They are thus stored for long periods out of use in
> the garage.
>
> Is it better to store with the tyres inflated or deflated?

Inflated, I think, although they will slowly deflate by themselves anyway.

> Recently I had cause to take a bike out of store that had deflated
> tyres. When I pumped up one wheel the inner tube burst (sufficiently
> loudly for neighbours to come outside wondering what was going on!).
>
> In addition, I found two broken spokes on what was a perfectly
> acceptable wheel when in regular use. Does anyone have any
> suggestions as to how to prevent this happening again?

The storage wouldn't have had much to do with that unless the spokes were
not stainless and they corroded. Probably the spokes were very fatigued
already and a slight thing, like a temperature change, was the final
straw. I wouldn't worry about that happening again with a well built
wheel with good modern spokes.

~PB

PhilD wrote:
> Like many, I have several bikes I don't use very often,

You might want to consider whether you're overpriveleged. You could
then donate some bikes to Emmaus or Cuba where they'll be put to good
use.

In article <[email protected]>
PhilD <[email protected]> wrote:
> Like many, I have several bikes I don't use very often, they being for
> "emergency" use. They are thus stored for long periods out of use in
> the garage.
>
> Is it better to store with the tyres inflated or deflated?

It doesn't matter, they'll go down in time anyway. What you should do
is keep them off the floor, cool, dry and out of direct sunlight.

> Recently I had cause to take a bike out of store that had deflated
> tyres. When I pumped up one wheel the inner tube burst (sufficiently
> loudly for neighbours to come outside wondering what was going on!).

Split the tyre? Blew off the rim? Tubes don't normally go bang
spontaneously.

> In addition, I found two broken spokes on what was a perfectly
> acceptable wheel when in regular use.

Apart from major corrosion I can't think of any reason this would happen
(unless someone doesn't take sufficient care when parking the car/lawn
tractor/whatever).

PhilD wrote:
> Like many, I have several bikes I don't use very often, they being for
> "emergency" use. They are thus stored for long periods out of use in
> the garage.
>
> Is it better to store with the tyres inflated or deflated?

Inflated.

Bikes receiving least use are hung from the ceiling using rubber coated
hooks (Wife's, commuter, adult tandem, airframe and fixed. Kids bikes
are stored at ground level for easy access along with kiddyback tandem.
Brompton is stored in the car incase of commuting troubles. Nice bike
is stored in the spare bedroom - although it has been relegated to the
garage recently :-(

regards
d.

in message <[email protected]>, PhilD
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Like many, I have several bikes I don't use very often, they being for
> "emergency" use. They are thus stored for long periods out of use in
> the garage.
>
> Is it better to store with the tyres inflated or deflated?
>
> Recently I had cause to take a bike out of store that had deflated
> tyres. When I pumped up one wheel the inner tube burst (sufficiently
> loudly for neighbours to come outside wondering what was going on!).
>
> In addition, I found two broken spokes on what was a perfectly
> acceptable wheel when in regular use. Does anyone have any suggestions
> as to how to prevent this happening again? A "five minute" job to
> bring the bike back into use turned out to be a "more than two hour"
> job (most time taken trying to find correct-sized components, and
> traipsing back and forth to the garage to get tools).

I was told - years ago - that it was better to hang up a bike which was
not in use, as standing on the same spokes for too long was deleterious.
It sounds like an old wives tale, but the person who told me was a frame
and wheel builder of some skill whose judgement I respected. He also
advised lowering the pressure of tyres to about a third to a half
working pressure, but not deflating them completely. Again, I dunno
whether this really makes a difference.

;; no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.
;; Jim Morrison

in message <[email protected]>,
thrawn ('[email protected]') wrote:

> PhilD wrote:
>> Like many, I have several bikes I don't use very often,

> You might want to consider whether you're overpriveleged. You could
> then donate some bikes to Emmaus or Cuba where they'll be put to good
> use.

Blasphemy! Everyone (here) knows it's impossible to have too many bikes.

Ye hypocrites! are these your pranks? To murder men and give God thanks?
Desist, for shame! Proceed no further: God won't accept your thanks for
murther
-- Robert Burns, 'Thanksgiving For a National Victory'

Simon Brooke wrote on 22/07/2006 10:47 +0100:

> I was told - years ago - that it was better to hang up a bike which was
> not in use, as standing on the same spokes for too long was deleterious.

Ah but since it is hanging from its spokes when stood on the ground,
when you hang it up it will then be standing on its spokes, achieving
what you are trying to avoid ;-)

> It sounds like an old wives tale, but the person who told me was a frame
> and wheel builder of some skill whose judgement I respected.

Skill and judgement but hopefully not knowledge. 'Tis indeed a load of
crock although you should rotate the wheels regularly. Otherwise the
less dense oxygen will settle to the bottom where its high concentration
will oxidise the inner tube rubber and damage it.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

In article <[email protected]>
Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
<snip>
> I was told - years ago - that it was better to hang up a bike which was
> not in use, as standing on the same spokes for too long was deleterious.

It is better to hang a bike, but it's nothing to do with the spokes -
tyres will tend to deteriorate around the contact patch if they're left
standing on the ground. There again, if the ground is damp maybe
moisture finds its way up the tyre to the rim, and thence to the lower
spokes ...