Storing bikes

Just A User

Guest
No flames please.
The other day I noticed on one of my bikes that the shiny crank arms are
not shiny anymore. I store them in the garage which is not at all
climate controlled. As in very humid here in south Florida. So here is
the question: Will cleaning with a car wash / wax product help keep the
finish looking good? It seems like it would. Or would it just be better
to store them inside somewhere in the less humid air conditioned house?

Just A User wrote:
:: No flames please.
:: The other day I noticed on one of my bikes that the shiny crank arms
:: are not shiny anymore. I store them in the garage which is not at all
:: climate controlled. As in very humid here in south Florida. So here
:: is the question:

:: Will cleaning with a car wash / wax product help
:: keep the finish looking good?

Yes. I live in SC and it's hot and humid here....a good & regular cleaning
and waxing works wonders.

Just A User wrote:
> No flames please.
> The other day I noticed on one of my bikes that the shiny crank arms are
> not shiny anymore. I store them in the garage which is not at all
> climate controlled. As in very humid here in south Florida. So here is
> the question: Will cleaning with a car wash / wax product help keep the
> finish looking good? It seems like it would. Or would it just be better
> to store them inside somewhere in the less humid air conditioned house?

Someone with more knowledge will be along, but I'd go with normal metal
cleaner (Nigrin or summat) and ACF-50. Works well enough on motorbikes.

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.misc.]
On 2007-07-17, Just A User <[email protected]> wrote:

> The other day I noticed on one of my bikes that the shiny crank arms are
> not shiny anymore. I store them in the garage which is not at all
> climate controlled. As in very humid here in south Florida. So here is
> the question: Will cleaning with a car wash / wax product help keep the
> finish looking good? It seems like it would. Or would it just be better
> to store them inside somewhere in the less humid air conditioned house?

If this is an inexpensive, unanodized crank, a little quality time with
a soft rag and some SimiChrome will do wonders.

--

John ([email protected])

Just A User who? wrote:
> No flames please.
> The other day I noticed on one of my bikes that the shiny crank arms are
> not shiny anymore. I store them in the garage which is not at all
> climate controlled. As in very humid here in south Florida. So here is
> the question: Will cleaning with a car wash / wax product help keep the
> finish looking good? It seems like it would. Or would it just be better
> to store them inside somewhere in the less humid air conditioned house?

Real Cyclists [TM] store their favorite bicycle in the bedroom, and the
rest in the living room.

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> Just A User who? wrote:
>> No flames please.
>> The other day I noticed on one of my bikes that the shiny crank arms
>> are not shiny anymore. I store them in the garage which is not at all
>> climate controlled. As in very humid here in south Florida. So here is
>> the question: Will cleaning with a car wash / wax product help keep
>> the finish looking good? It seems like it would. Or would it just be
>> better to store them inside somewhere in the less humid air
>> conditioned house?

> Real Cyclists [TM] store their favorite bicycle in the bedroom, and the
> rest in the living room.

So you have a trademark on the term "Real Cyclists".
But anyway I have thought about storing them in the living room. I am
not sure about the bedroom, yet.

Claire Petersky wrote:
> "Just A User" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> So you have a trademark on the term "Real Cyclists".

> No, we all hold the trademark, duh.

D'oh! So what separates "Real Cyclists" from the fake ones?

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:25:44 -0400, Just A User wrote:

> Claire Petersky wrote:
>> "Just A User" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> So you have a trademark on the term "Real Cyclists".

>> No, we all hold the trademark, duh.
>>

> D'oh! So what separates "Real Cyclists" from the fake ones?

The real cyclists have bugs in their teeth from smiling.

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:25:44 -0400, Just A User wrote:
>
>> Claire Petersky wrote:
>>> "Just A User" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> No, we all hold the trademark, duh.
>>>

>> D'oh! So what separates "Real Cyclists" from the fake ones?

> The real cyclists have bugs in their teeth from smiling.

Oh o.k. Well I don't know if I have any on my teeth, but I know I have
swallowed more than a few. So where does that put me in the ranking?

Just A User wrote:
> Claire Petersky wrote:
>> "Just A User" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> So you have a trademark on the term "Real Cyclists".

>> No, we all hold the trademark, duh.
>>

> D'oh! So what separates "Real Cyclists" from the fake ones?

Where they store their bikes, duh.

Just A User wrote:

> So you have a trademark on the term "Real Cyclists".
> But anyway I have thought about storing them in the living room. I am
> not sure about the bedroom, yet.

Do you have a problem with corrosion since you are living so close to
the ocean? I wonder if keeping your bikes indoors would help that. I
keep my bikes inside. I'd expect that this helps keep them cleaner and
helps tires and lube jobs last longer, if nothing else.

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 08:56:41 -0700, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> D'oh! So what separates "Real Cyclists" from the fake ones?

>Where they store their bikes, duh.

Real cyclists don't wear team "outfits".

In article
<[email protected]>,
Just A User <[email protected]> wrote:

> Claire Petersky wrote:
> > "Just A User" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >> So you have a trademark on the term "Real Cyclists".

> > No, we all hold the trademark, duh.
> >

> D'oh! So what separates "Real Cyclists" from the fake ones?

DUI bars and riding the wrong side of the road. Duh!

--
Michael Press

In article <[email protected]>,
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Just A User who? wrote:
> > No flames please.
> > The other day I noticed on one of my bikes that the shiny crank arms are
> > not shiny anymore. I store them in the garage which is not at all
> > climate controlled. As in very humid here in south Florida. So here is
> > the question: Will cleaning with a car wash / wax product help keep the
> > finish looking good? It seems like it would. Or would it just be better
> > to store them inside somewhere in the less humid air conditioned house?

> Real Cyclists [TM] store their favorite bicycle in the bedroom, and the
> rest in the living room.

That's NOT a Real Cyclist. A Real Cyclist gives up her bedroom for her
many bikes, and sleeps in the living room instead. Or if this is a
moneyed Real Cyclist, he would have a dedicated Bike Room with direct
doors out the house, an individual parking space for each bike, and a
fully stocked bike-only workshop that will shame many a Real Bike Shop.

Don't laugh. I know someone like that.

Pikachu who? wrote:

> That's NOT a Real Cyclist. A Real Cyclist gives up her bedroom for her
> many bikes, and sleeps in the living room instead....

MALE BOVINE EXCREMENT!

A Real Cyclist [TM] takes his/her favorite bicycle to bed.

Here is a Real Cyclist [TM] on a camping trip:
<http://www.office-humour.co.uk/pictures/4775/>.

Pikachu wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Just A User who? wrote:
>>> No flames please.
>>> The other day I noticed on one of my bikes that the shiny crank arms are
>>> not shiny anymore. I store them in the garage which is not at all
>>> climate controlled. As in very humid here in south Florida. So here is
>>> the question: Will cleaning with a car wash / wax product help keep the
>>> finish looking good? It seems like it would. Or would it just be better
>>> to store them inside somewhere in the less humid air conditioned house?

>> Real Cyclists [TM] store their favorite bicycle in the bedroom, and the
>> rest in the living room.

> That's NOT a Real Cyclist. A Real Cyclist gives up her bedroom for her
> many bikes, and sleeps in the living room instead. Or if this is a
> moneyed Real Cyclist, he would have a dedicated Bike Room with direct
> doors out the house, an individual parking space for each bike, and a
> fully stocked bike-only workshop that will shame many a Real Bike Shop.
>
> Don't laugh. I know someone like that.

WOW!!

On 2007-07-18, Just A User <[email protected]> wrote:

> D'oh! So what separates "Real Cyclists" from the fake ones?

The bike in the bedroom. D'oh!

But don't you think that the Real, True Cyclist sleeps in the workshop
with *all* the bikes and tools? :)

--

John ([email protected])

John Thompson wrote:
> On 2007-07-18, Just A User <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> D'oh! So what separates "Real Cyclists" from the fake ones?

> The bike in the bedroom. D'oh!
>
> But don't you think that the Real, True Cyclist sleeps in the workshop
> with *all* the bikes and tools? :)

LOL you have to love some of the "comical" replies some threads get.