Storing - fridge or not?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Al, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. Al

    Al Guest

    Are there any particular guidelines on what should or should not go in a fridge? I usually put
    red/green/yellow peppers, spring onion, chilli and tomatoes in the fridge and leave potatoes,
    onions, garlic, ginger, and lemongrass in a cupboard (a wire rack type thing to let the air flow).

    However this isn't based on any particular logic, just what I'm used to doing. Does it matter over
    here (UK) ... especially during the winter when it's fairly cold most of the time?

  2. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    al wrote:

    > Are there any particular guidelines on what should or should not go in a fridge? I usually put
    > red/green/yellow peppers, spring onion, chilli and tomatoes in the fridge and leave potatoes,
    > onions, garlic, ginger, and lemongrass in a cupboard (a wire rack type thing to let the air flow)

    I'm with you up to the point of the tomatoes. Those should *not* be stored in the fridge.. it ruins
    them in my opinion. I keep my tomatoes up on the window sill, ripening randomly. I keep only
    cherry/grape and roma tomatoes during the winter and find them the most tasty. I can't comment on
    the lemon grass as I've never purchased that. Goomba

  3. Hw

    Hw Guest

    you may not want to keep the onions & spuds near each other...I keep the
    tomatoes in a bowl on the sink...they don't go bad for quite a while and
    ripen at their leisure. In another bowl is the seasonal fresh fruit....this
    time of year it is apples, oranges, tangerines.
    "al" <{ask_me}@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Are there any particular guidelines on what should or should not go in a fridge? I usually put
    > red/green/yellow peppers, spring onion, chilli and tomatoes in the fridge and leave potatoes,
    > onions, garlic, ginger, and lemongrass in a cupboard (a wire rack type thing to let the air flow).
    >
    > However this isn't based on any particular logic, just what I'm used to doing. Does it matter over
    > here (UK) ... especially during the winter
    when
    > it's fairly cold most of the time?

  4. Al

    Al Guest

    "Goomba38" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I'm with you up to the point of the tomatoes. Those should *not* be stored
    in
    > the fridge.. it ruins them in my opinion. I keep my tomatoes up on the
    window
    > sill, ripening randomly. I keep only cherry/grape and roma tomatoes during
    the
    > winter and find them the most tasty. I can't comment on the lemon grass as I've never purchased
    > that. Goomba

    Actually, I really really hate tomatoes!! They're for the wife so I couldn't give a monkey's how
    they taste ;)

    The lemongrass I don't know what to do with ... I figure it's quite dry so is probably best off away
    from the condensation that the fridge will bring.

  5. Al

    Al Guest

    "hw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > you may not want to keep the onions & spuds near each other...

    Do they get up to mischief!? I keep the spuds in their own bag anyway ;)

  6. "al" <{ask_me}@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Are there any particular guidelines on what should or should not go in a fridge? I usually put
    > red/green/yellow peppers, spring onion, chilli and tomatoes in the fridge

    Tomatoes shouldn't go in the refrigerator. Unless they're very ripe and you're going away for a few
    days. They should be eaten at room temp and stored at room temp whenever possible.

  7. if i buy it and its not in the refrigerated section, i keepit out of the fridge....if it is the
    refrigerated section, then it goes in the fridge.....that's my rule of thumb for stuff... LG

  8. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    al wrote:

    > "hw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > you may not want to keep the onions & spuds near each other...
    >
    > Do they get up to mischief!?

    Yeah, one gives off gases to rot the other one.

    nancy

  9. Kalanamak

    Kalanamak Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:

    > Yeah, one gives off gases to rot the other one.

    Sounds like my marriage. blacksalt

  10. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Lawrence Gilburtson wrote:

    > if i buy it and its not in the refrigerated section, i keepit out of the fridge....if it is the
    > refrigerated section, then it goes in the fridge.....that's my rule of thumb for stuff... LG

    But many things that aren't refrigerated in the store should be refrigerated after opening.

    gloria p

  11. well yes, but the packaging will usually say so.....and now that I think of it, there are a few
    things that i keep in the freezer that aren;t either refigerated in the store or in the freezer section-----
    coffee and yeast....coffee stays fresher longer and I can keep yeast for a longer period of time
    than the expiration date on the little envelopes....if i cut a cucumber or a tomatoes let's say,
    then i will refrigerate what's left.....

    LG

    "Puester" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Lawrence Gilburtson wrote:
    > >
    > > if i buy it and its not in the refrigerated section, i keepit out of the fridge....if it is the
    > > refrigerated section, then it goes in the fridge.....that's my rule of thumb for stuff... LG
    >

    > But many things that aren't refrigerated in the store should be refrigerated after opening.
    >
    > gloria p

  12. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 19:08:23 -0000, "al" <{ask_me}@blueyonder.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >Are there any particular guidelines on what should or should not go in a fridge? I usually put
    >red/green/yellow peppers, spring onion, chilli and tomatoes in the fridge and leave potatoes,
    >onions, garlic, ginger, and lemongrass in a cupboard (a wire rack type thing to let the air flow).
    >
    >However this isn't based on any particular logic, just what I'm used to doing. Does it matter over
    >here (UK) ... especially during the winter when it's fairly cold most of the time?

    I think if you're asking about produce, you should look up individual recommendations. USAsians have
    the vapors over unrefrigerated eggs, cheese, and (sometimes) pastries. Some refrigerate cereal,
    crackers, and other grain products to prevent bugs. They must have more space than I do. :) "What
    I'm used to doing" is probably what you've most often seen done by people who seem to know what
    they're doing. Except for tomatoes, your practices are the same as mine. Lemon grass is either
    growing in a pot or rooting in a glass of water. I think I *would* wrap and refrigerate that, or
    trim and dice and freeze. It's just going to lose moisture on a shelf.

  13. Paula

    Paula Guest

    "i keep anything and everything in the fridge(not spuds though) even garlic and ginger (in the egg
    compartments)as for lemongrass i pop this in the freezer and it cuts up great when i need it.bottles
    jars etc. also go in if there is room. what i need is one of those giant larder fridges as the one i
    have although bigger than a normal fridge is still too small.

  14. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    "paula" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "i keep anything and everything in the fridge(not spuds though) even garlic and ginger (in the egg
    > compartments)as for lemongrass i pop this in the freezer and it cuts up great when i need
    > it.bottles jars etc. also go in if there is room. what i need is one of those giant larder fridges
    > as the one i have although bigger than a normal fridge is still too small.

    Although my fridge is tiny, I have to keep everything in there, from cereals to sugar, flour,
    potatoes, pasta because if I don't I get bugs within a couple of weeks. The humidity and heat just
    breeds them.

    kili

  15. Blake Murphy

    Blake Murphy Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 22:40:51 -0500, Nancy Young
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >al wrote:
    >>
    >> "hw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> > you may not want to keep the onions & spuds near each other...
    >>
    >> Do they get up to mischief!?
    >
    >Yeah, one gives off gases to rot the other one.
    >
    >nancy

    this is not unknown among higher species.

    your pal, blake

  16. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    blake murphy wrote:

    > On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 22:40:51 -0500, Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >al wrote:
    > >>
    > >> "hw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]...
    > >>
    > >> Do they get up to mischief!?
    > >
    > >Yeah, one gives off gases to rot the other one.
    >
    > this is not unknown among higher species.

    (laugh!) Good one.

    nancy

  17. Drb

    Drb Guest

    "Frogleg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I think if you're asking about produce, you should look up individual recommendations.
    > USAsians have the vapors over unrefrigerated eggs, cheese, and (sometimes) pastries. Some
    > refrigerate cereal, crackers, and other grain products to prevent bugs. They must have more
    > space than I do. :)

    Same here... My fridge is tiny, and I'm doing good to get the stuff in that has to be in there
    to fit. I keep bags of flour down in large ziplock bags, and have yet to have trouble--despite
    that it's just me using the flour and it take forever to go through a bag. Same thing with
    cereal and crackers.

    I've gotten better at not being obsessive about the fridge. My mom is one of those "everything must
    be in the fridge" types. I've learned that vinegar doesn't have to go in the fridge, and neither
    does honey or peanut butter.... I'm trying to convince myself that corn syrup doesn't have to in
    either, but I haven't gotten myself convinced yet.

    Most things, I don't freak out over if they're left out.. Like eggs or cheese. The only things I
    never leave setting out are mayo, milk, and raw chicken.