Storing - fridge or not?

Al

Guest
Are there any particular guidelines on what should or should not go in a fridge? I usually put
red/green/yellow peppers, spring onion, chilli and tomatoes in the fridge and leave potatoes,
onions, garlic, ginger, and lemongrass in a cupboard (a wire rack type thing to let the air flow).

However this isn't based on any particular logic, just what I'm used to doing. Does it matter over
here (UK) ... especially during the winter when it's fairly cold most of the time?

al wrote:

> Are there any particular guidelines on what should or should not go in a fridge? I usually put
> red/green/yellow peppers, spring onion, chilli and tomatoes in the fridge and leave potatoes,
> onions, garlic, ginger, and lemongrass in a cupboard (a wire rack type thing to let the air flow)

I'm with you up to the point of the tomatoes. Those should *not* be stored in the fridge.. it ruins
them in my opinion. I keep my tomatoes up on the window sill, ripening randomly. I keep only
cherry/grape and roma tomatoes during the winter and find them the most tasty. I can't comment on
the lemon grass as I've never purchased that. Goomba

you may not want to keep the onions & spuds near each other...I keep the
tomatoes in a bowl on the sink...they don't go bad for quite a while and
ripen at their leisure. In another bowl is the seasonal fresh fruit....this
time of year it is apples, oranges, tangerines.
news:[email protected]...

"Goomba38" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I'm with you up to the point of the tomatoes. Those should *not* be stored
in
> the fridge.. it ruins them in my opinion. I keep my tomatoes up on the
window
> sill, ripening randomly. I keep only cherry/grape and roma tomatoes during
the
> winter and find them the most tasty. I can't comment on the lemon grass as I've never purchased
> that. Goomba

Actually, I really really hate tomatoes!! They're for the wife so I couldn't give a monkey's how
they taste ;)

The lemongrass I don't know what to do with ... I figure it's quite dry so is probably best off away
from the condensation that the fridge will bring.

"al" <{ask_me}@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Are there any particular guidelines on what should or should not go in a fridge? I usually put
> red/green/yellow peppers, spring onion, chilli and tomatoes in the fridge

Tomatoes shouldn't go in the refrigerator. Unless they're very ripe and you're going away for a few
days. They should be eaten at room temp and stored at room temp whenever possible.

if i buy it and its not in the refrigerated section, i keepit out of the fridge....if it is the
refrigerated section, then it goes in the fridge.....that's my rule of thumb for stuff... LG

Nancy Young wrote:

> Yeah, one gives off gases to rot the other one.

Sounds like my marriage. blacksalt

Lawrence Gilburtson wrote:

> if i buy it and its not in the refrigerated section, i keepit out of the fridge....if it is the
> refrigerated section, then it goes in the fridge.....that's my rule of thumb for stuff... LG

But many things that aren't refrigerated in the store should be refrigerated after opening.

gloria p

well yes, but the packaging will usually say so.....and now that I think of it, there are a few
things that i keep in the freezer that aren;t either refigerated in the store or in the freezer section-----
coffee and yeast....coffee stays fresher longer and I can keep yeast for a longer period of time
than the expiration date on the little envelopes....if i cut a cucumber or a tomatoes let's say,
then i will refrigerate what's left.....

LG

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 19:08:23 -0000, "al" <{ask_me}@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

>Are there any particular guidelines on what should or should not go in a fridge? I usually put
>red/green/yellow peppers, spring onion, chilli and tomatoes in the fridge and leave potatoes,
>onions, garlic, ginger, and lemongrass in a cupboard (a wire rack type thing to let the air flow).
>
>However this isn't based on any particular logic, just what I'm used to doing. Does it matter over
>here (UK) ... especially during the winter when it's fairly cold most of the time?

I think if you're asking about produce, you should look up individual recommendations. USAsians have
the vapors over unrefrigerated eggs, cheese, and (sometimes) pastries. Some refrigerate cereal,
crackers, and other grain products to prevent bugs. They must have more space than I do. :) "What
I'm used to doing" is probably what you've most often seen done by people who seem to know what
they're doing. Except for tomatoes, your practices are the same as mine. Lemon grass is either
growing in a pot or rooting in a glass of water. I think I *would* wrap and refrigerate that, or
trim and dice and freeze. It's just going to lose moisture on a shelf.

"i keep anything and everything in the fridge(not spuds though) even garlic and ginger (in the egg
compartments)as for lemongrass i pop this in the freezer and it cuts up great when i need it.bottles
jars etc. also go in if there is room. what i need is one of those giant larder fridges as the one i
have although bigger than a normal fridge is still too small.

"paula" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "i keep anything and everything in the fridge(not spuds though) even garlic and ginger (in the egg
> compartments)as for lemongrass i pop this in the freezer and it cuts up great when i need
> it.bottles jars etc. also go in if there is room. what i need is one of those giant larder fridges
> as the one i have although bigger than a normal fridge is still too small.

Although my fridge is tiny, I have to keep everything in there, from cereals to sugar, flour,
potatoes, pasta because if I don't I get bugs within a couple of weeks. The humidity and heat just
breeds them.

kili

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 22:40:51 -0500, Nancy Young
<[email protected]> wrote:

>al wrote:
>>
>> "hw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > you may not want to keep the onions & spuds near each other...
>>
>> Do they get up to mischief!?
>
>Yeah, one gives off gases to rot the other one.
>
>nancy

this is not unknown among higher species.

your pal, blake

blake murphy wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 22:40:51 -0500, Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >al wrote:
> >>
> >> "hw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> Do they get up to mischief!?
> >
> >Yeah, one gives off gases to rot the other one.
>
> this is not unknown among higher species.

(laugh!) Good one.

nancy

"Frogleg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I think if you're asking about produce, you should look up individual recommendations.
> USAsians have the vapors over unrefrigerated eggs, cheese, and (sometimes) pastries. Some
> refrigerate cereal, crackers, and other grain products to prevent bugs. They must have more
> space than I do. :)

Same here... My fridge is tiny, and I'm doing good to get the stuff in that has to be in there
to fit. I keep bags of flour down in large ziplock bags, and have yet to have trouble--despite
that it's just me using the flour and it take forever to go through a bag. Same thing with
cereal and crackers.

I've gotten better at not being obsessive about the fridge. My mom is one of those "everything must
be in the fridge" types. I've learned that vinegar doesn't have to go in the fridge, and neither
does honey or peanut butter.... I'm trying to convince myself that corn syrup doesn't have to in
either, but I haven't gotten myself convinced yet.

Most things, I don't freak out over if they're left out.. Like eggs or cheese. The only things I
never leave setting out are mayo, milk, and raw chicken.