Storing sour cream upside down prevents spoilage?

Bob (this one) wrote:
> Nancy1 wrote:
>
> Nonsense. Cottage cheese will last weeks in a normal container. In my
> restaurants we dated every container when received and when opened.
> Cottage cheese stored under refrigeration typically lasted at least two
> weeks without molding or developing off-smells.

It may be nonsense at your restaurant, but at my house, no matter what
brand, no matter how fresh, if cottage cheese is stored upright after
opening, it will not last more than a week. It doesn't get moldy, it
just spoils and smells/tastes bad.

You sound like my dad - if I couldn't tell him the scientific
explanation, he didn't believe it -- until I proved it to him.

N.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > I just buy my sour cream in those little 8 oz. containers. I never have
> > to deal with spoilage that way and heavy cream freezes just fine as does
> > milk and buttermilk. If you use only small amounts of them like I do,
> > that might be a best bet.
> >
> > I only get small containers of cottage cheese as well for the same
> > reason. Ricotta cheese also freezes just fine.
> > --
> > Peace, Om.

> Thanks, Om -- I never have thought to freeze sour cream or buttermilk. DH
> buys large milk, but it is always spoiled before he drinks it all, so we
> hardly buy it anymore, but we do buy cream, sour cream, buttermilk and
> ricotta cheese. But I do buy them at Costco in larger quantities mainly
> because they are handy and I usually use 2/3 of the containers, which I
> justify by the fact that 2/3 of it costs at Costco the same as total price
> somewhere else -- did I make my point -- I'm not sure. But freezer space is
> not always available -- but I think I could start thinking along these lines
> and I wouldn't be so jacked about trying to get these products used.

If you are going to shop at costco and buy in bulk, get a bigger
freezer. <G>

> I was reading today in Baker's Illustrated, I believe it was, that when it
> calls for ricotta cheese and it suggests to put it through a
> strainer/cheesecloth -- Yikes, I think Wayne or another poster suggested I
> do this and it took me forever -- it said putting it in the fp does the same
> thing as straining it; if one is using a fp for the rest of the recipe seems
> like a real timesaver to me. I'm going to try it the next time I use
> ricotta and it tells me to strain it. I'd rather wash the fp, pushing it
> thru the strainer is very hard on my arm.

Whatever works.
There are different grades of ricotta.
Get the dryer and you won't have to strain it.

> On another group I learned a tip that I like when freezing liquids in glass
> jars -- I had been advised not to do that by someone here on rfc because of
> glass slivers -- but the person said they had never had a jar breaking --
> but at any rate, to use an old sock over your jar. I guess that helps to sop
> up any leakage caused by breakage.

Whatever works! <G>

> Thanks for the tips, Om.
> Dee Dee

Cheers! :)

And I have no idea if storing SC upside down slows spoilage.
I was just tossing around theories as to why, if it does, it may work.
The only way to prove for sure is a controlled experiment. If I can find
the proper containers, I might give it a whirl just for kicks and grins.
I have the 'frige space!

--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

> If you are going to shop at costco and buy in bulk, get a bigger
> freezer. <G>

Nope, I'm at my limit!
We had to take the frozen foods to ice chests and put them in the truck
overnight (2 nights actually) while the electrician was here. When I put it
all back in orderly fashion, guess what? I had at least another 1/3 extra
space.
Dee Dee

Nancy1 wrote:
> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>>Nancy1 wrote:
>>
>>Nonsense. Cottage cheese will last weeks in a normal container. In my
>>restaurants we dated every container when received and when opened.
>>Cottage cheese stored under refrigeration typically lasted at least two
>>weeks without molding or developing off-smells.

> It may be nonsense at your restaurant, but at my house, no matter what
> brand, no matter how fresh, if cottage cheese is stored upright after
> opening, it will not last more than a week. It doesn't get moldy, it
> just spoils and smells/tastes bad.

I just spotted this looking for grades of ricotta from another post...

"Care in the Home

"The following storage times are guidelines for maintaining the quality
of cheese in the refrigerator after purchase:

"Soft unripened cheeses: cottage -- 10-30 days; creamed and neufchatel
-- opened 2 weeks; ricotta -- 5 days."
<http://www.ams.usda.gov/howtobuy/cheese.htm>

You might take a look at the temperature your fridge is actually working
at.

Pastorio

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I was reading today in Baker's Illustrated, I believe it was, that when it
>>calls for ricotta cheese and it suggests to put it through a
>>strainer/cheesecloth -- Yikes, I think Wayne or another poster suggested I
>>do this and it took me forever -- it said putting it in the fp does the same
>>thing as straining it; if one is using a fp for the rest of the recipe seems
>>like a real timesaver to me. I'm going to try it the next time I use
>>ricotta and it tells me to strain it. I'd rather wash the fp, pushing it
>>thru the strainer is very hard on my arm.

> Whatever works.
> There are different grades of ricotta.
> Get the dryer and you won't have to strain it.

I've never seen that thing about grades of ricotta. Where does it say
that? How can you tell which is drier?

Here's a very cool page about cheeses.
<http://www.ams.usda.gov/howtobuy/cheese.htm>

Pastorio

In article <[email protected]>,
"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > If you are going to shop at costco and buy in bulk, get a bigger
> > freezer. <G>

> Nope, I'm at my limit!
> We had to take the frozen foods to ice chests and put them in the truck
> overnight (2 nights actually) while the electrician was here. When I put it
> all back in orderly fashion, guess what? I had at least another 1/3 extra
> space.
> Dee Dee

<lol> Been there, done that........ ;-D
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

I buy Mozzarella for pizza, Asiago and Parmigiano for grating and eating,
and Fontina for eating, in 5 pound bricks.
After I cut a piece of cheese I leave in the original wrapping cover the end
in Saran and put the whole piece in
a plastic bag. I also put a paper napkin soaked in an ounce of wine vinegar
into the bag.
the vinegar will not let the cheese get moldy and it will not affect the
taste of the cheese.
and keep the cheese in the refrigerator. I am still cutting on a piece of
Asiago that I started about 18 months ago.
I learned this from my mom many years ago in Italy where we had no
refrigeration.
We never have any moldy cheese ( like they show on the Food Saver
informercial )

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]

>> On another group I learned a tip that I like when freezing liquids in
>> glass
>> jars -- I had been advised not to do that by someone here on rfc because
>> of
>> glass slivers -- but the person said they had never had a jar breaking --
>> but at any rate, to use an old sock over your jar. I guess that helps to
>> sop
>> up any leakage caused by breakage.

> Whatever works! <G>
>

>> Thanks for the tips, Om.
>> Dee Dee

> Cheers! :)
>
> And I have no idea if storing SC upside down slows spoilage.
> I was just tossing around theories as to why, if it does, it may work.
> The only way to prove for sure is a controlled experiment. If I can find
> the proper containers, I might give it a whirl just for kicks and grins.

"SERGIO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I buy Mozzarella for pizza, Asiago and Parmigiano for grating and eating,
> and Fontina for eating, in 5 pound bricks.
> After I cut a piece of cheese I leave in the original wrapping cover the
> end in Saran and put the whole piece in
> a plastic bag. I also put a paper napkin soaked in an ounce of wine
> vinegar into the bag.
> the vinegar will not let the cheese get moldy and it will not affect the
> taste of the cheese.
> and keep the cheese in the refrigerator. I am still cutting on a piece of
> Asiago that I started about 18 months ago.
> I learned this from my mom many years ago in Italy where we had no
> refrigeration.
> We never have any moldy cheese ( like they show on the Food Saver
> informercial )

Sergio, I recently bought a Foodsaver. It really does save cheese, but I
did find that twice I saved some pretty expensive cheese and the cheese had
ripened to an unacceptable level! I don't know what I was saving this
cheese for -- certainly not the garbage or field mice.

Sergio, years ago, I bought a wonderful, heavy cheese jar, maybe a
half-gallon size, and the bottom inside had built into it sort of a glass
trivet to hold the cheese up above the vinegar one was supposed to fill the
bottom underneath the cheese. It was a wonderful invention I thought. But,
alas it didn't work for me. Where I lived in California the weather was
never too hot nor too cold, so I don't think it was the weather. This was
in the 70's and 80's and I remember I was into buying some pretty fancy
cheeses that I wanted to keep. This cheese shop was at Larkspur Landing,
the ferry landing that went daily to San Francisco; it came very close by to
San Quentin, close enough to wave!

Back to point! I wonder if they still sell these cheese jars. Also today I
was reading one of my Italian cookbooks by Bugialli. He showed a picture of
a sieve (setaccio) that I wonder if are even sold anymore.
Dee Dee

Oh I forgot to mention that once awhile I wipe the face of the cut cheese
with the paper with the vinegar, and seal the face with the saran wrap. No
Air = No Mold

I also dothis with the Sopressata and Capocollo
Sergio

"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "SERGIO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> I buy Mozzarella for pizza, Asiago and Parmigiano for grating and eating,
>> and Fontina for eating, in 5 pound bricks.
>> After I cut a piece of cheese I leave in the original wrapping cover the
>> end in Saran and put the whole piece in
>> a plastic bag. I also put a paper napkin soaked in an ounce of wine
>> vinegar into the bag.
>> the vinegar will not let the cheese get moldy and it will not affect the
>> taste of the cheese.
>> and keep the cheese in the refrigerator. I am still cutting on a piece of
>> Asiago that I started about 18 months ago.
>> I learned this from my mom many years ago in Italy where we had no
>> refrigeration.
>> We never have any moldy cheese ( like they show on the Food Saver
>> informercial )

> Sergio, I recently bought a Foodsaver. It really does save cheese, but I
> did find that twice I saved some pretty expensive cheese and the cheese
> had ripened to an unacceptable level! I don't know what I was saving this
> cheese for -- certainly not the garbage or field mice.
>
> Sergio, years ago, I bought a wonderful, heavy cheese jar, maybe a
> half-gallon size, and the bottom inside had built into it sort of a glass
> trivet to hold the cheese up above the vinegar one was supposed to fill
> the bottom underneath the cheese. It was a wonderful invention I thought.
> But, alas it didn't work for me. Where I lived in California the weather
> was never too hot nor too cold, so I don't think it was the weather. This
> was in the 70's and 80's and I remember I was into buying some pretty
> fancy cheeses that I wanted to keep. This cheese shop was at Larkspur
> Landing, the ferry landing that went daily to San Francisco; it came very
> close by to San Quentin, close enough to wave!
>
> Back to point! I wonder if they still sell these cheese jars. Also today
> I was reading one of my Italian cookbooks by Bugialli. He showed a
> picture of a sieve (setaccio) that I wonder if are even sold anymore.
> Dee Dee

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>I was reading today in Baker's Illustrated, I believe it was, that when it
> >>calls for ricotta cheese and it suggests to put it through a
> >>strainer/cheesecloth -- Yikes, I think Wayne or another poster suggested I
> >>do this and it took me forever -- it said putting it in the fp does the
> >>same
> >>thing as straining it; if one is using a fp for the rest of the recipe
> >>seems
> >>like a real timesaver to me. I'm going to try it the next time I use
> >>ricotta and it tells me to strain it. I'd rather wash the fp, pushing it
> >>thru the strainer is very hard on my arm.

> > Whatever works.
> > There are different grades of ricotta.
> > Get the dryer and you won't have to strain it.

> I've never seen that thing about grades of ricotta. Where does it say
> that? How can you tell which is drier?

Brain cramp, sorry.
Was thinking about dry vs. wet curd cottage cheese...
I'd been awake far too long. ;-)

Mom would sometimes substitute dry curd cottage cheese in recipes that
called for ricotta.

> Here's a very cool page about cheeses.
> <http://www.ams.usda.gov/howtobuy/cheese.htm>

Cool link, thanks!

--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

Bob (this one) wrote:

Nothing beats first-hand experience, Bob. My refrigerator is new and
was tested when it was installed. I can't help what the guidelines say
or what you say; all I can say is when I did a comparison (for my dad's
benefit), upside-down storage made the cottage cheese last a LOT longer
than if I stored it right-side up (3 weeks compared with 1 week or so.)

If it doesn't work for you, fine, don't do it.

It does work for me. I don't understand why you continue to argue when
I've already proven it to myself. You can say what you want about
official guidelines and your own experience, but IT IS NOT MY
EXPERIENCE. That's all.

N.

On Thu 23 Mar 2006 09:22:36a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
OmManiPadmeOmelet?

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

>> > Whatever works.
>> > There are different grades of ricotta.
>> > Get the dryer and you won't have to strain it.

>> I've never seen that thing about grades of ricotta. Where does it say
>> that? How can you tell which is drier?

> Brain cramp, sorry.
> Was thinking about dry vs. wet curd cottage cheese...
> I'd been awake far too long. ;-)

I haven't seen dry curd cottage cheese in the stores for years. Wish I
could find some because it makes a great cheesecake.

> Mom would sometimes substitute dry curd cottage cheese in recipes that
> called for ricotta.

I've used it that way, too. I always strain ricotta.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

Nancy1 wrote:

> Nothing beats first-hand experience, Bob. My refrigerator is new and
> was tested when it was installed. I can't help what the guidelines say
> or what you say; all I can say is when I did a comparison (for my dad's
> benefit), upside-down storage made the cottage cheese last a LOT longer
> than if I stored it right-side up (3 weeks compared with 1 week or so.)
>
> If it doesn't work for you, fine, don't do it.
>
> It does work for me. I don't understand why you continue to argue when
> I've already proven it to myself. You can say what you want about
> official guidelines and your own experience, but IT IS NOT MY
> EXPERIENCE. That's all.
>
> N.

I wonder if what's going on is that mold spores are trapped at the top
of the carton because they stick to the surface of the sour cream. When
you turn the carton upside down, the air moves up to the bottom of the
carton. The mold spores are deprived of oxygen. Aerobic bacteria that
could cause spoilage at the bottom of the carton (now that they have an
air pocket) are inhibited by the acid and any active lactobacillus
cultures in the sour cream.

So it has nothing to do with the quality of the lid's seal, it is a
function of separating most of the oxygen supply from most of the fungus
spores.

Best regards,
Bob

Nancy1 wrote:

> Nothing beats first-hand experience, Bob. [snip]
>
> If it doesn't work for you, fine, don't do it.
>
> It does work for me. I don't understand why you continue to argue ...[snip]

Of course you understand why. You're just too polite to say it. :)
-aem

"aem" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
news:[email protected]:

> Nancy1 wrote:
>
>> Nothing beats first-hand experience, Bob. [snip]
>>
>> If it doesn't work for you, fine, don't do it.
>>
>> It does work for me. I don't understand why you continue to argue
>> ...[snip]

> Of course you understand why. You're just too polite to say it. :)
> -aem

Personally this thread confused me. I've never tried the upside down method
of storing cottage cheese, sour cream etc. Usually cottage cheese is eaten
quickly but I've had sour cream go bad (green fungi). Does one leave the
plastic on the top before covering it with the lid to store upside down?
I'd like to try this for myself... just to see.

Michael

--
"The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been

--Calvin Trillin

In article <[email protected]>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I've never seen that thing about grades of ricotta. Where does it say
> >> that? How can you tell which is drier?

> > Brain cramp, sorry.
> > Was thinking about dry vs. wet curd cottage cheese...
> > I'd been awake far too long. ;-)

> I haven't seen dry curd cottage cheese in the stores for years. Wish I
> could find some because it makes a great cheesecake.

Central Market, Austin...

> > Mom would sometimes substitute dry curd cottage cheese in recipes that
> > called for ricotta.

> I've used it that way, too. I always strain ricotta.

Yeah. It's not that much trouble if you plan ahead.

--

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "aem" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
> news:[email protected]:
>

> > Nancy1 wrote:
> >
> >> Nothing beats first-hand experience, Bob. [snip]
> >>
> >> If it doesn't work for you, fine, don't do it.
> >>
> >> It does work for me. I don't understand why you continue to argue
> >> ...[snip]

> > Of course you understand why. You're just too polite to say it. :)
> > -aem
> >

> Personally this thread confused me. I've never tried the upside down method
> of storing cottage cheese, sour cream etc. Usually cottage cheese is eaten
> quickly but I've had sour cream go bad (green fungi). Does one leave the
> plastic on the top before covering it with the lid to store upside down?
> I'd like to try this for myself... just to see.
>
> Michael

No - you can't reseal the original plastic anyway. But I've been lucky
in that the containers (brand) I buy don't leak.

N.

aem wrote:
> Nancy1 wrote:
>
>>Nothing beats first-hand experience, Bob. [snip]
>>
>>If it doesn't work for you, fine, don't do it.
>>
>>It does work for me. I don't understand why you continue to argue ...[snip]

> Of course you understand why. You're just too polite to say it. :)

I'm sorry if I hurt your widdle feelings to the point where you have to
take these little shots.

Oh, wait. No I'm not.

Pastorio

Bob (this one) wrote:
> aem wrote:
> > Nancy1 wrote:
> >
> >>Nothing beats first-hand experience, Bob. [snip]
> >>
> >>If it doesn't work for you, fine, don't do it.
> >>
> >>It does work for me. I don't understand why you continue to argue ...[snip]

> > Of course you understand why. You're just too polite to say it. :)

> I'm sorry if I hurt your widdle feelings to the point where you have to
> take these little shots.
>
> Oh, wait. No I'm not.
>
> Pastorio

You didn't hurt my feelings - WTF are you on, anyway? or maybe off?
And in previous posts, I didn't take any little shots - I said, fine,
you don't need to store things upside down; I find it useful, so what's
the point in carrying on with this?

N.

zxcvbob wrote:

> Nancy1 wrote:
>
>> Nothing beats first-hand experience, Bob. My refrigerator is new and
>> was tested when it was installed. I can't help what the guidelines say
>> or what you say; all I can say is when I did a comparison (for my dad's
>> benefit), upside-down storage made the cottage cheese last a LOT longer
>> than if I stored it right-side up (3 weeks compared with 1 week or so.)

Right. Industry guidelines say it will last up to a month, but it spoils
in a week in your fridge. Ok...

How could you tell if the bottom of that container of cottage cheese had
mold growing in it? Turning it back right side up means that any moldy
or green-pink stuff would be at the bottom, buried under the top stuff.
Stirring it to see would just mix it into the rest of the cottage cheese
and make it invisible.

>> If it doesn't work for you, fine, don't do it.
>>
>> It does work for me. I don't understand why you continue to argue when
>> I've already proven it to myself. You can say what you want about
>> official guidelines and your own experience,

Above you say, "Nothing beats first-hand experience, Bob."

> but IT IS NOT MY EXPERIENCE. That's all.

Well, I'm afraid I don't believe that this inversion matters. So far,
it's been a very small bit of anecdotal comment and a lot of
speculation, but nothing substantive to document it. Lots of food
science and industry experience to contradict it. My "first-hand
experience" as well.

> I wonder if what's going on is that mold spores are trapped at the top
> of the carton because they stick to the surface of the sour cream. When
> you turn the carton upside down, the air moves up to the bottom of the
> carton. The mold spores are deprived of oxygen. Aerobic bacteria that
> could cause spoilage at the bottom of the carton (now that they have an
> air pocket) are inhibited by the acid and any active lactobacillus
> cultures in the sour cream.

Turning the container over creates turbulence, mixing; part of top goes
to bottom. Air pocket at top of upright container has to go to the
bottom. Takes critters and fungi with it. For as long as yogurt has been
around - and kefir, koumiss, sour cream, cottage cheese and other
fermented milks - no culture stores any of it in upside down containers.
Nobody else does it, including the folks who essentially invented those
things and can't afford to waste any of it.

Containers unopened, handled and refrigerated - everything done properly
- will spoil. That plastic sheet that sits down flush with the top of
the cottage cheese should keep out air, but it will spoil anyway. The
ingredients for spoilage are already in there. It'll spoil no matter
what. And it'll spoil in your fridge - right side up - in something
between about a week and a half and a month, depending on many factors
not least how close to sell-by date when purchased.

"Fresh cheeses such as cottage cheese may be subject to spoilage by
gram-negative psychrotrophic bacteria (Pseudomonas, Flavobacterium,
Alcaligenes), coliforms, yeast, and molds that enter as
post-pasteurization contaminants."
<http://www.bcnlabs.com/tests/products/dairy_products.htm>

But I have to go back to a central question: If it works, why do the
manufacturers not know it. Why doesn't the FDA know about it? The
European Union that's all atwitter about food storage and sanitation?
Why don't industry groups know about it? Why not anaerobic packaging
like squeeze tubes if aerobic/anaerobic is an issue?

It's not like they aren't constantly searching for ways to improve shelf
life. They already package some of it with a modified atmosphere to slow
spoilage:
"Cultured products present new window of opportunity
"In the past, cultured products such as cottage cheese and yoghurt were
not packaged in modified atmospheres. This is changing, however, to meet
market demands for longer shelf-lives. CO2 extends the shelf-life of
cottage cheese by one week, for example."
<http://tinyurl.com/qlqvs> which leads to...
<http://www.linde-gas.com/International/Web/LG/COM/likelgcom30.nsf/DocByAlias/ind_dairyMapax>

> So it has nothing to do with the quality of the lid's seal, it is a
> function of separating most of the oxygen supply from most of the fungus
> spores.

Yeast, mold and bacteria. Sounds like a law firm.

"Yeast and molds that tolerate lower pH are the more predominant
spoilage organisms. Bacillus subtillis and b. cereus can cause bitter
flavors if large numbers survive pasteurization."