Stove Enamelling

Sam Salt

Guest
Due to steel worm and its rusty remains I have despatched my Galaxy off for a respray ( stove
enamelled ) .Wishing to keep it in decent nick when it comes back,can anyone recommend a decent
quality touch-up paint for nicks and stone chips.I asked in LBC if they could let me have a small
amount of the original paint but was told as it was stove enamelled paint it would not look the same
until it was stoved ( if you follow my meaning ).I hasten to add I have no reason to disbelieve
them. Is car touch-up paint OK or is Humbrol enamel the best or is there something else.

Thanks,

Sam Salt

Sam Salt

---

Sam Salt wrote:
> Due to steel worm and its rusty remains I have despatched my Galaxy off for a respray ( stove
> enamelled ) .Wishing to keep it in decent nick when it comes back,can anyone recommend a decent
> quality touch-up paint for nicks and stone chips.I asked in LBC if they could let me have a
> small amount of the original paint but was told as it was stove enamelled paint it would not
> look the same until it was stoved ( if you follow my meaning ).I hasten to add I have no reason
> to disbelieve them. Is car touch-up paint OK or is Humbrol enamel the best or is there
> something else.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam Salt
>
> Sam Salt
>

> ---
So good he signed it twice,sorry.

Sam Salt

---

Sam Salt wrote:
> Due to steel worm and its rusty remains I have despatched my Galaxy off for a respray ( stove
> enamelled ) .Wishing to keep it in decent nick when it comes back,can anyone recommend a decent
> quality touch-up paint for nicks and stone chips.I asked in LBC if they could let me have a
> small amount of the original paint but was told as it was stove enamelled paint it would not
> look the same until it was stoved ( if you follow my meaning ).I hasten to add I have no reason
> to disbelieve them. Is car touch-up paint OK or is Humbrol enamel the best or is there
> something else.

I'd try to use Humbrol. There is a big range of colours and you should be able to get very close. So
long as you touch up soon after any damage, it will keep the rust at bay. If you do spot a car touch-
up which is a good match (keep your eyes peeled for cars which are the same colour) it will work
just as well. Car touch up might also include a top-varnish coat*, which could help restore the deep
finish. If you are really bothered about a 100% perfect match, then a good car paint supplier will
be able to match it, but you might be somewhat abusing their good will when you only want to
purchase 50ml.

One thing I'd not be sure about using are acrylic model paints, which are starting to replace
"classic" Humbrol in some model shops.

Yes, the colour will change a bit during the cooking process.

My Nigel Dean has just gone off for repaint after a dozen years service (and an extra set of bottle
bosses). Must be something in the air....

* the touch up set for my car have a varnish tube as well as a paint tube.

NC

--
NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk/ Replies to newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

NC wrote:
> Sam Salt wrote:
>> Due to steel worm and its rusty remains I have despatched my Galaxy off for a respray ( stove
>> enamelled ) .Wishing to keep it in decent nick when it comes back,can anyone recommend a decent
>> quality touch-up paint for nicks and stone chips.I asked in LBC if they could let me have a
>> small amount of the original paint but was told as it was stove enamelled paint it would not
>> look the same until it was stoved ( if you follow my meaning ).I hasten to add I have no reason
>> to disbelieve them. Is car touch-up paint OK or is Humbrol enamel the best or is there
>> something else.
>

> I'd try to use Humbrol. There is a big range of colours and you should be able to get very close.
> So long as you touch up soon after any damage, it will keep the rust at bay. If you do spot a car
> touch-up which is a good match (keep your eyes peeled for cars which are the same colour) it will
> work just as well. Car touch up might also include a top-varnish coat*, which could help restore
> the deep finish. If you are really bothered about a 100% perfect match, then a good car paint
> supplier will be able to match it, but you might be somewhat abusing their good will when you only
> want to purchase 50ml.
>
> One thing I'd not be sure about using are acrylic model paints, which are starting to replace
> "classic" Humbrol in some model shops.
>

> Yes, the colour will change a bit during the cooking process.
>

> My Nigel Dean has just gone off for repaint after a dozen years service (and an extra set of
> bottle bosses). Must be something in the air....
>

> * the touch up set for my car have a varnish tube as well as a paint tube.
>

> NC

Thanks for replying NC

Sam Salt

---

> One thing I'd not be sure about using are acrylic model paints

These will definately not be up to the job.