Strada Flies through Seagull

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Stratrider, Oct 13, 2003.

  1. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    After four consecutive Seagull Century rides on my 99 Stratus, I completed this year's ride (on
    Saturday) on my new Strada. Under poor weather conditions (wind and rain), I can say with impunity
    that the Strada outperformed the Stratus in every way. Make no mistake, I still love my Stratus. In
    fact I still prefer it over the Strada for commuting. But to ride hard for 100 miles, the lighter
    weight, big wheeled, aerodynamic Strada wins hands down. It's simply a faster, more efficient bike.
    In fact, it was so efficient that I hammered in ahead of my upright buddy, who is a much stronger
    rider (but got beat up by the wind and rain). For those taller riders still on the fence, the dual
    26's are amazing. I still can't believe it! Folks, this is the bike!

    Jim Reilly Reading, PA

    Tags:

  2. Jim, what time did you start and return, I probably saw you out there, I saw a number of Strada's,
    but never passed one going my way. I went out at 8:06 and was back at 3:04
    6:04:50 bike time, Personal best time Nasty weather I Made the 11pm news. Sorry to have
    missed you Denny

    "stratrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > After four consecutive Seagull Century rides on my 99 Stratus, I completed this year's ride (on
    > Saturday) on my new Strada. Under poor weather conditions (wind and rain), I can say with impunity
    > that the Strada outperformed the Stratus in every way. Make no mistake, I still love my Stratus.
    > In fact I still prefer it over the Strada for commuting. But to ride hard for 100 miles, the
    > lighter weight, big wheeled, aerodynamic Strada wins hands down. It's simply a faster, more
    > efficient bike. In fact, it was so efficient that I hammered in ahead of my upright buddy, who is
    > a much stronger rider (but got beat up by the wind and rain). For those taller riders still on the
    > fence, the dual 26's are amazing. I still can't believe it! Folks, this is the bike!
    >
    > Jim Reilly Reading, PA

  3. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    stratrider wrote:

    > After four consecutive Seagull Century rides on my 99 Stratus, I completed this year's ride (on
    > Saturday) on my new Strada. Under poor weather conditions (wind and rain), I can say with impunity
    > that the Strada outperformed the Stratus in every way. Make no mistake, I still love my Stratus.
    > In fact I still prefer it over the Strada for commuting. But to ride hard for 100 miles, the
    > lighter weight, big wheeled, aerodynamic Strada wins hands down. It's simply a faster, more
    > efficient bike....

    I suspect that in flat to rolling terrain, the Stratus would be faster than the Strada if equipped
    with a front fairing and bodysock.

    Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

  4. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    Denny, my friends and I left at 7:10 AM. We were in the T-Shirt line at 1:45 PM. According to my
    buddies cyclometer, we too had our personal bests averaging 16.9 MPH with a ride time of 5hrs50min.
    I think that was largely because we wanted to get off that nasty island and get to the hot showers
    ASAP! The wind and the rain was brutal! Maybe next year we could arrange to hook up.

    Jim

  5. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    Tom, last night I got thinking about my posting. To be fair to my Stratus, I have a mountain rack,
    fenders, stock sun rims circa 1999, and relatively heavy touring tires (Schwalbe Marathons). A more
    fair comparison would be to pull off the rack and fenders, replace the tires and rims with equipment
    comparable to what is on my Strada, add a sock to my Zipper and run that ride again.

    Jim

  6. Rongmal

    Rongmal Guest

    I also rode the Seagull Century this past Sat. This was my first Seagull. I was told to go at least
    once to experience the event just out of the shear # of riders (6000?). I enjoyed it a lot, in
    spite of the wind and rain. I rode my new Organic Engines Vapor, SWB, USS. It was great to see
    other bent riders for a change. I think I saw two Strada's, maybe Jim's. I got started about 8:20
    am. Saw a couple of bent tandems, some Tour Easy's, P38, Burley, and home-mades. Near Assateague,
    got passsed by 2 bents- one with mesh seat, the other a real low racer with molded tailbox fairing.
    These guys were maybe +2 mph than me. The two wild ponies at side of road were real cute. This was
    a ride where I really wish I had fenders, particulary with the rear wheel water spray perfectly
    falling on the back of my head and neck. Also, I need some tips dealing with rain water on my
    glasses. It's nice to see where you're going. I was satified with the Vapor's performance. The hard
    shell seat seamed fairly comfortable for the 100 mi. I enjoyed passing a lot of DF'ers in the head
    winds. I was smiling and they were grimacing. I passed by the last rest stop with the famous pie
    and ice cream. Being soaked to the bone, I just wanted to finish and get some warm clothes on. Did
    you see the guy with the roller blades? I wondered if he finished. I'll definitely think of going
    again next year. Ron