Strada Flies through Seagull

Stratrider

Guest
After four consecutive Seagull Century rides on my 99 Stratus, I completed this year's ride (on
Saturday) on my new Strada. Under poor weather conditions (wind and rain), I can say with impunity
that the Strada outperformed the Stratus in every way. Make no mistake, I still love my Stratus. In
fact I still prefer it over the Strada for commuting. But to ride hard for 100 miles, the lighter
weight, big wheeled, aerodynamic Strada wins hands down. It's simply a faster, more efficient bike.
In fact, it was so efficient that I hammered in ahead of my upright buddy, who is a much stronger
rider (but got beat up by the wind and rain). For those taller riders still on the fence, the dual
26's are amazing. I still can't believe it! Folks, this is the bike!

Jim Reilly Reading, PA

Jim, what time did you start and return, I probably saw you out there, I saw a number of Strada's,
but never passed one going my way. I went out at 8:06 and was back at 3:04
6:04:50 bike time, Personal best time Nasty weather I Made the 11pm news. Sorry to have
missed you Denny

news:[email protected]...

stratrider wrote:

> After four consecutive Seagull Century rides on my 99 Stratus, I completed this year's ride (on
> Saturday) on my new Strada. Under poor weather conditions (wind and rain), I can say with impunity
> that the Strada outperformed the Stratus in every way. Make no mistake, I still love my Stratus.
> In fact I still prefer it over the Strada for commuting. But to ride hard for 100 miles, the
> lighter weight, big wheeled, aerodynamic Strada wins hands down. It's simply a faster, more
> efficient bike....

I suspect that in flat to rolling terrain, the Stratus would be faster than the Strada if equipped
with a front fairing and bodysock.

Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

Denny, my friends and I left at 7:10 AM. We were in the T-Shirt line at 1:45 PM. According to my
buddies cyclometer, we too had our personal bests averaging 16.9 MPH with a ride time of 5hrs50min.
I think that was largely because we wanted to get off that nasty island and get to the hot showers
ASAP! The wind and the rain was brutal! Maybe next year we could arrange to hook up.

Jim

Tom, last night I got thinking about my posting. To be fair to my Stratus, I have a mountain rack,
fenders, stock sun rims circa 1999, and relatively heavy touring tires (Schwalbe Marathons). A more
fair comparison would be to pull off the rack and fenders, replace the tires and rims with equipment
comparable to what is on my Strada, add a sock to my Zipper and run that ride again.

Jim

I also rode the Seagull Century this past Sat. This was my first Seagull. I was told to go at least
once to experience the event just out of the shear # of riders (6000?). I enjoyed it a lot, in
spite of the wind and rain. I rode my new Organic Engines Vapor, SWB, USS. It was great to see
other bent riders for a change. I think I saw two Strada's, maybe Jim's. I got started about 8:20
am. Saw a couple of bent tandems, some Tour Easy's, P38, Burley, and home-mades. Near Assateague,
got passsed by 2 bents- one with mesh seat, the other a real low racer with molded tailbox fairing.
These guys were maybe +2 mph than me. The two wild ponies at side of road were real cute. This was
a ride where I really wish I had fenders, particulary with the rear wheel water spray perfectly
falling on the back of my head and neck. Also, I need some tips dealing with rain water on my
glasses. It's nice to see where you're going. I was satified with the Vapor's performance. The hard
shell seat seamed fairly comfortable for the 100 mi. I enjoyed passing a lot of DF'ers in the head
winds. I was smiling and they were grimacing. I passed by the last rest stop with the famous pie
and ice cream. Being soaked to the bone, I just wanted to finish and get some warm clothes on. Did
you see the guy with the roller blades? I wondered if he finished. I'll definitely think of going
again next year. Ron