Strade Bianche Saturday & Paris-Nice Sunday, Any Thoughts?

slovakguy

Mar 17, 2006
what a great weekend for cycling! racing over dusty/muddy dirt roads & racing to the sun. oh, yes!

for me, i will be going with bmc in italy, tipping evans over his teammate, hincapie. have to figure that those two plus the others they will bring will keep them near the front, but also drag spartacus forward who might just scupper all their plans nearing the line. must say, absent an actual start list, i am just shooting in the dark on this one. cyclingnews hints that sagan/liqui will be showing up here and starting paris-nice.

which brings us to the race to the sun... just out of sheer prejudice i'm putting this race out of touch for slovakia with sagan and liqui. on a side note, admirable youthful line-up put forward from some squads. anyone know if t phinney is recovered from his crash and still planning on racing?

Originally Posted by slovakguy .

what a great weekend for cycling! racing over dusty/muddy dirt roads & racing to the sun. oh, yes!

for me, i will be going with bmc in italy, tipping evans over his teammate, hincapie. have to figure that those two plus the others they will bring will keep them near the front, but also drag spartacus forward who might just scupper all their plans nearing the line. must say, absent an actual start list, i am just shooting in the dark on this one. cyclingnews hints that sagan/liqui will be showing up here and starting paris-nice.

which brings us to the race to the sun... just out of sheer prejudice i'm putting this race out of touch for slovakia with sagan and liqui. on a side note, admirable youthful line-up put forward from some squads. anyone know if t phinney is recovered from his crash and still planning on racing?
Phinney's on the start list, but I think the time trial is his only chance. Will be interesting to see where he'll finish in overall, though.
Really hard to say who's truly targeting P-N. Maybe L.L. Sanchez.
Vinokourov could find motive for overall. And Leopard will certainly try to put one of their men on podium.
Sagan could ****** couple of stages, but overall victory is out of his reach, in my opinion.

Too bad Sagan won't ride Strade. With current form and determination he could make chaos in Tuscany.

Strade's reputation will grow as years go by. But it's already an epic race.
It's good profile for Gilbert, I think. And I'm sure he'd love to take it.
It's hard to predict at this point of season who's there to win and who's to get some racing kilometers.

Tirreno is starting couple of days after P-N, and its route looks to be designed for aggressive, attacking riders. I expect more from Tirreno than from Paris - Nice.