strange back/arm pain

Butterfly

Guest
I need your help, I am a stay at home Mom and was diagnosed with 4 torn multi-level disc and a S1
joint problem rt>Lft for approx. 2 1/2 yrs but the last year my sypmptoms have really gotten
different. I was told my symptoms were due to "pinched nerve" nerve root irration/inflammation,
severe muscle weakness arms and legs etc.." but I have been to Infectious Disease Dr. and am now
with a Rheumatologist and it looks like that workup may be alright too and I just know there is
something "wrong" I have two very distinct problems back pain and bouts of "attacks of sickness"
that last about 5-8 days, I alway run sometype of fever, it is always low grade (99-101) but it is
there non the less)

My symptoms are as follows, if anyone reconizes these, I can't be the only person on the planet with
this! My orthopedic just seems interested in seeing me once a month for med refills and that's it,(I
have tried seeing other dr. that was no help) I can't live my life on meds sick AND in pain!)

1. Worse pain below knee, bottom of feet, sides of legs the worse, every toes is numb with the
exception of the big toe rft>lft.
2. Hand pain, more severe, outer portion of hands, every finger gets numb except thumb, goes up arm.
3. On the arm will get pain all the way up the arm that will fan out like a person's finger into the
side of my neck and lower jaw and cheekbones. (when hurting really bad)
4. If I am sitting at a restaurant or anywhere in a normal position for more than 45 min. when I get
up to leave my legs feel like "rubber bands"

All of this is on deaf ear to my physcian who is wonderful but I can't keep getting worse and
itcontinues to progress?? Any suggestion? Sorry to be so long winded, I wanted to make sense?
Thankyou for reading! Butterfly is so I can fly away from the pain :)

Well, if you're talking "pain" & you've done the "doctor" bit, I always suggest buying or borrowing
a copy of Clair Davies' (he's a certified massage therapist) book entitled "The Trigger Point
Therapy Workbook" , subtitled "Your Self-Treatment Guide For Pain Relief". (He has an expanded
second edition coming out in March, but his first edition works just fine). Really excellent.

He also has a website at triggerpointbook.com., which gives you a good idea of his massage theory
& practice.

Cripers ! we don't even know if you are 68 or 18 years old ! Why don't you write up a proper medical
history (sample/prompters here http://www.vnh.org/SickcallScreeners/MedHistory.html then come over
to news:alt.med.fibromyalgia and post. J

Butterfly wrote:

> I need your help, I am a stay at home Mom and was diagnosed with 4 torn multi-level disc and a S1
> joint problem rt>Lft for approx. 2 1/2 yrs but the last year my sypmptoms have really gotten
> different. I was told my symptoms were due to "pinched nerve" nerve root irration/inflammation,
> severe muscle weakness arms and legs etc.." but I have been to Infectious Disease Dr. and am now
> with a Rheumatologist and it looks like that workup may be alright too and I just know there is
> something "wrong" I have two very distinct problems back pain and bouts of "attacks of sickness"
> that last about 5-8 days, I alway run sometype of fever, it is always low grade (99-101) but it is
> there non the less)
>
> My symptoms are as follows, if anyone reconizes these, I can't be the only person on the planet
> with this! My orthopedic just seems interested in seeing me once a month for med refills and
> that's it,(I have tried seeing other dr. that was no help) I can't live my life on meds sick AND
> in pain!)
>
> 1. Worse pain below knee, bottom of feet, sides of legs the worse, every toes is numb with the
> exception of the big toe rft>lft.
> 2. Hand pain, more severe, outer portion of hands, every finger gets numb except thumb, goes
> up arm.
> 3. On the arm will get pain all the way up the arm that will fan out like a person's finger into
> the side of my neck and lower jaw and cheekbones. (when hurting really bad)
> 4. If I am sitting at a restaurant or anywhere in a normal position for more than 45 min. when I
> get up to leave my legs feel like "rubber bands"
>
> All of this is on deaf ear to my physcian who is wonderful but I can't keep getting worse and
> itcontinues to progress?? Any suggestion? Sorry to be so long winded, I wanted to make sense?
> Thankyou for reading! Butterfly is so I can fly away from the pain :)

Thanks for your advice, I'll look for it in March. Someone asked my
age, I am in my 30's, thin build thanks to loosing so much weight from
what I call the "pain diet" You know what I mean, with back pain of
your own, good luck and thanks for the advice, first time, I have used
this message service and I will continue to read everyone's stories
and advice and to share get some hope. :)