strange Campagnolo Ergopower behaviour?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by geos, Feb 8, 2006.

  1. geos

    geos Guest

    hello,

    Today I visited my LBS to see a second-hand Campagnolo Record 10 ergos.
    They were without cables but in great condition. I tried to shift both
    ways up and down, and surprisingly noticed that while shifting up was
    10s, shifting down was only 6s.

    I asked the seller about it and he said that these shifters were in
    perfect condition but the cable must be inserted and tightened. Indeed,
    he put a cable into right ergopower, tighened it slightly in his hand
    and voila! the shifting was 10s up and down.

    my question is: is it normal? does such uneven behaviour when shifting
    up and down without cables mean anything about the shifter condition?
    the shifters look like new, were produced in 2005, and have about 1000km
    of riding. I have brand new Campagnolo Record 8s ergopower and without
    cable it shifts 8s without problem. does anybody experienced such
    behaviour of shifters?

    I would greatly appreciate your opinion about it.

    thanks,
    geos

    Tags:

  2. geos wrote:
    > hello,
    >
    > Today I visited my LBS to see a second-hand Campagnolo Record 10 ergos.
    > They were without cables but in great condition. I tried to shift both
    > ways up and down, and surprisingly noticed that while shifting up was
    > 10s, shifting down was only 6s.
    >
    > I asked the seller about it and he said that these shifters were in
    > perfect condition but the cable must be inserted and tightened. Indeed,
    > he put a cable into right ergopower, tighened it slightly in his hand
    > and voila! the shifting was 10s up and down.
    >
    > my question is: is it normal? does such uneven behaviour when shifting
    > up and down without cables mean anything about the shifter condition?

    What you are seeing is the shifter shifting multile shifts, w/o
    noticing it in your hand, because of the big spring on the back,
    designed to make the shifting 'softer'. A slight push, w/o the aid of
    the rear der spring, makes it do that.Normal.

    > the shifters look like new, were produced in 2005, and have about 1000km
    > of riding. I have brand new Campagnolo Record 8s ergopower and without
    > cable it shifts 8s without problem. does anybody experienced such
    > behaviour of shifters?
    >
    > I would greatly appreciate your opinion about it.
    >
    > thanks,
    > geos

  3. Mark Janeba

    Mark Janeba Guest

    geos wrote:
    > hello,
    >
    > Today I visited my LBS to see a second-hand Campagnolo Record 10 ergos.
    > They were without cables but in great condition. I tried to shift both
    > ways up and down, and surprisingly noticed that while shifting up was
    > 10s, shifting down was only 6s.
    >
    > I asked the seller about it and he said that these shifters were in
    > perfect condition but the cable must be inserted and tightened. Indeed,
    > he put a cable into right ergopower, tighened it slightly in his hand
    > and voila! the shifting was 10s up and down.
    >
    > my question is: is it normal? does such uneven behaviour when shifting
    > up and down without cables mean anything about the shifter condition?

    Yes, I saw behavior like this right out of the box with new Ergo
    9speeds. Worked perfectly once I got the cables installed, and have
    continued to do so for the last 2.5 years.

    Mark

  4. geos

    geos Guest

    Guys, thanks for yor answers, really helpful!

    cheers,
    geos