strange Campagnolo Ergopower behaviour?

geos

Guest
hello,

Today I visited my LBS to see a second-hand Campagnolo Record 10 ergos.
They were without cables but in great condition. I tried to shift both
ways up and down, and surprisingly noticed that while shifting up was
10s, shifting down was only 6s.

I asked the seller about it and he said that these shifters were in
perfect condition but the cable must be inserted and tightened. Indeed,
he put a cable into right ergopower, tighened it slightly in his hand
and voila! the shifting was 10s up and down.

my question is: is it normal? does such uneven behaviour when shifting
up and down without cables mean anything about the shifter condition?
the shifters look like new, were produced in 2005, and have about 1000km
of riding. I have brand new Campagnolo Record 8s ergopower and without
cable it shifts 8s without problem. does anybody experienced such
behaviour of shifters?

I would greatly appreciate your opinion about it.

thanks,
geos

geos wrote:
> hello,
>
> Today I visited my LBS to see a second-hand Campagnolo Record 10 ergos.
> They were without cables but in great condition. I tried to shift both
> ways up and down, and surprisingly noticed that while shifting up was
> 10s, shifting down was only 6s.
>
> I asked the seller about it and he said that these shifters were in
> perfect condition but the cable must be inserted and tightened. Indeed,
> he put a cable into right ergopower, tighened it slightly in his hand
> and voila! the shifting was 10s up and down.
>
> my question is: is it normal? does such uneven behaviour when shifting
> up and down without cables mean anything about the shifter condition?

What you are seeing is the shifter shifting multile shifts, w/o
noticing it in your hand, because of the big spring on the back,
designed to make the shifting 'softer'. A slight push, w/o the aid of
the rear der spring, makes it do that.Normal.

geos wrote:
> hello,
>
> Today I visited my LBS to see a second-hand Campagnolo Record 10 ergos.
> They were without cables but in great condition. I tried to shift both
> ways up and down, and surprisingly noticed that while shifting up was
> 10s, shifting down was only 6s.
>
> I asked the seller about it and he said that these shifters were in
> perfect condition but the cable must be inserted and tightened. Indeed,
> he put a cable into right ergopower, tighened it slightly in his hand
> and voila! the shifting was 10s up and down.
>
> my question is: is it normal? does such uneven behaviour when shifting
> up and down without cables mean anything about the shifter condition?

Yes, I saw behavior like this right out of the box with new Ergo
9speeds. Worked perfectly once I got the cables installed, and have
continued to do so for the last 2.5 years.

Mark

Guys, thanks for yor answers, really helpful!

cheers,
geos