Strange dark-side encounter

Mike Causer

Guest
Today I saw a recumbent with an advertising hoarding on the back pedalling
round Newmarket and followed it (on foot) a short distance until it
stopped. It turned out to be a 4-wheeler, with USS, 4 disc brakes, lots of
dynamo lights, and a 1.5m x 1.5m billboard on the back. (That's about 5
feet square for those still using 14th century units based on the King's
anatomy.) It had a medium-sized glass-fibre nose fairing, wheel covers
and lots of adjustability.

When I said to the rider that I rode a recumbent too, he said "What is a
recumbent?". So I showed him my Speed Ross on t'other side of the
supermarket carp ark. "Oh yes" he said, "that looks comfortable." But
_he_ was riding a 'bent and didn't know that he was! Not really a
cyclist he said, he just got paid for riding around with the advertising,
and found it hard work.

Even more strangely, I couldn't work out what it was advertising, a
political message of some sort but not obviously a mainstream party,
and the name of the advertising company (Cyclopromo) doesn't turn up in
web searches.

Very strange all round.

Mike

Mike Causer popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on
and said
> Today I saw a recumbent with an advertising hoarding on the back
> pedalling round Newmarket and followed it (on foot) a short distance
> until it stopped. It turned out to be a 4-wheeler, with USS, 4 disc
> brakes, lots of dynamo lights, and a 1.5m x 1.5m billboard on the
> back. It had a medium-sized
> glass-fibre nose fairing, wheel covers and lots of adjustability.
>
> When I said to the rider that I rode a recumbent too, he said "What
> is a recumbent?". So I showed him my Speed Ross on t'other side of
> the supermarket carp ark. "Oh yes" he said, "that looks
> comfortable." But _he_ was riding a 'bent and didn't know that he
> was! Not really a cyclist he said, he just got paid for riding
> around with the advertising, and found it hard work.

Seen similar in Edinburgh (around Princes' street) machines look
excellent but the people "riding" them made it look hard work.

--
yours S

Mike Causer wrote:
> Today I saw a recumbent with an advertising hoarding on the
> back pedalling round Newmarket and followed it (on foot) a
> short distance until it stopped. It turned out to be a
> 4-wheeler, with USS, 4 disc brakes, lots of dynamo lights, and
> a 1.5m x 1.5m billboard on the back. (That's about 5 feet
> square for those still using 14th century units based on the
> King's anatomy.) It had a medium-sized glass-fibre nose
> fairing, wheel covers and lots of adjustability.
>
> When I said to the rider that I rode a recumbent too, he said
> "What is a recumbent?". So I showed him my Speed Ross on
> t'other side of the supermarket carp ark. "Oh yes" he said,
> "that looks comfortable." But _he_ was riding a 'bent and
> didn't know that he was! Not really a cyclist he said, he
> just got paid for riding around with the advertising, and
> found it hard work.
>
> Even more strangely, I couldn't work out what it was
> advertising, a political message of some sort but not
> obviously a mainstream party,
> and the name of the advertising company (Cyclopromo) doesn't
> turn up in web searches.
>

> Very strange all round.

I saw 4 in a row in Edinburgh (near the bike coop) a few weeks ago. I was so
engrossed in the machines I didn't notice what the were advertising.
--
Mark

1x1 wheel, 3x2 wheels & 1x3 wheels.

Mark reckoned:

> I saw 4 in a row in Edinburgh (near the bike coop) a few weeks ago.

I was so
> engrossed in the machines I didn't notice what the were advertising.

Would these, and/or the one to which Mike referred, be a Brox or the
one that AVD used to make? I've seen very few recumbents in the city,
let alone ones with advertising boards on them.

Becky

Arellcat wondered:
> Would these, and/or the one to which Mike referred, be a Brox or the
> one that AVD used to make? I've seen very few recumbents in the city,
> let alone ones with advertising boards on them.

I believe the ones I've seen have all been Broxes. Surprisingly enough,
the mobile billboards don't seem to be mentioned at
<URL:http://www.brox.co.uk/>

Arellcat [email protected] opined the following...
> Would these, and/or the one to which Mike referred, be a Brox or the
> one that AVD used to make? I've seen very few recumbents in the city,
> let alone ones with advertising boards on them.

The ones in Edinburgh were AVD. At least, if they weren't, they were so
close in design as to be candidates for a copyright case!

And the riders did appear to be making a meal of it, although while I
love cycling, hauling a flat sided tall four-wheeler up hills in sturdy
winds wouldn't be my idea of fun. Mind you, if the price was right...

Jon

Mike Causer wrote:
> Today I saw a recumbent with an advertising hoarding on the back
> pedalling round town and followed it (on foot) a short distance until
> it stopped. It turned out to be a 4-wheeler, with USS, 4 disc brakes,
> lots of dynamo lights, and a 1.5m x 1.5m billboard on the back.

I see quite a few of them around London - not sure whether they're Broxen or
Pickups thobut. Plus there was one on the cover of Issue 59 of the BHPC
Newsletter, <URL: http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/news/Issue59.htm>
photographed by Nigel Sleigh at the Edinburgh Festival. That one was
advertising the Perrier Award[1], which seems somehow appropriate.

1 - won that year by Al "Pub Landlord" Murray; other nominees included Ross
Noble and Simon "The League Against Tedium" Munnery

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

Mike Causer vaguely muttered something like ...

> When I said to the rider that I rode a recumbent too, he said "What is a
> recumbent?". So I showed him my Speed Ross on t'other side of the
> supermarket carp ark. "Oh yes" he said, "that looks comfortable." But
> _he_ was riding a 'bent and didn't know that he was! Not really a
> cyclist he said, he just got paid for riding around with the advertising,
> and found it hard work.

> Very strange all round.

Why strange ?

He's only doing a job after all, which doesn't necessarily mean he's either
interested in it, or does it for the company vehicle ;)

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules !!!