Strange encounters on the hills

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Forester, Feb 21, 2004.

  1. Forester

    Forester Guest

    I recall reading in an old Scottish walking book from the '70s of the author and his companion
    coming across a party of four young ramblers in the far north. It was a hot day but he was still
    "pleasantly surprised" by the sight of the 2 females walking towards them wearing bikinis (with
    boots and socks on I presume). He also stated- in a slightly un PC '70s kind of way - that they
    looked rather good in their bikinis!! Oh, what innocent days!

    I can't say I've ever come across anything like that in all my years of walking, and I can't
    imagine any females wearing so little when rambling these days. As for wearing so little in
    Scotland in summer....Perhaps there were some real scorchers last year in the Highlands just as we
    had in the '70s?

    Anybody else had strange or similar encounters....Steve Gough (the naked rambler) sitings, etc?

    Tags:

  2. Come on. I bet loads of the group have 'made love' on the hills. Come on gang, reveal all.

    "Forester" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:dbeaver-
    [email protected]
    > I recall reading in an old Scottish walking book from the '70s of the author and his companion
    > coming across a party of four young ramblers in the far north. It was a hot day but he was still
    > "pleasantly surprised" by the sight of the 2 females walking towards them wearing bikinis (with
    > boots and socks on I presume). He also stated- in a slightly un PC '70s kind of way - that they
    > looked rather good in their bikinis!! Oh, what innocent days!
    >
    > I can't say I've ever come across anything like that in all my years of walking, and I can't
    > imagine any females wearing so little when rambling these days. As for wearing so little in
    > Scotland in summer....Perhaps there were some real scorchers last year in the Highlands just as we
    > had in the '70s?
    >
    > Anybody else had strange or similar encounters....Steve Gough (the naked rambler) sitings, etc?

  3. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:44:49 -0000, "Michael Brockhurst"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Come on. I bet loads of the group have 'made love' on the hills. Come on gang, reveal all.

    Take care! There are Welsh people here!

    --

    Paul

    My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003):

    http://paulrooney.netfirms.com

  4. Rj Webb

    Rj Webb Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:09:45 +0000, Forester <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I recall reading in an old Scottish walking book from the '70s of the author and his companion
    >coming across a party of four young ramblers in the far north. It was a hot day but he was still
    >"pleasantly surprised" by the sight of the 2 females walking towards them wearing bikinis (with
    >boots and socks on I presume). He also stated- in a slightly un PC '70s kind of way - that they
    >looked rather good in their bikinis!! Oh, what innocent days!

    Yes, 4 bikini clad females pushing bikes past Alltbeithe in 1983. Very hot day, I was just back of
    Ceathreamhnan in a bit of a heat frazzled state. Teh warden was doing his best to persuede them to
    stay at the hostel, rather than push on to Kintail in the evening. Sadly he failed.

    Naked couple walking over High St. Mr and Mrs Gough? 1988.

    Richard Webb

  5. Rj Webb

    Rj Webb Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Come on. I bet loads of the group have 'made love' on the hills. Come on gang, reveal all.

    Whats the betting that someone is doing the Munros in this fashion. Look out for a joint completion!

    Probably too late now, but very feasable 20 years ago.

    Richard Webb

  6. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Michael Brockhurst <[email protected]> wrote
    >Come on. I bet loads of the group have 'made love' on the hills. Come on gang, reveal all.

    Naah! It would have interfered with a good walk.

    Took everything of except me boots and socks for a couple of miles on a walk with the g/f in the
    Dales, never meeting a soul. Bathed in a stream in the Howgills, and sunbathed in the Dales near
    Coniston once....

    Love in the open air while courting and married, of course, near Poole in Dorset in the fields on
    holiday, in a country park area a mile or two from home, and up on Cown Edge near Charlesworth.

    Nearly got caught on two of those occasions.

    But this is what everybody does, isn't it? :)
    --
    Gordon

  7. In article <[email protected]>, Forester <[email protected]>
    wrote: [snip]
    > Anybody else had strange or similar encounters....Steve Gough (the naked rambler) sitings, etc?

    Well, I do remember, a couple of years ago, coming round a corner along the edge of a corn field
    once to find two young women, one of whom was hastily pulling a swimming costume back on whilst the
    other was fiddling with some camera equipment! It was just outside the University of Brighton Falmer
    Campus so I guess it might have been a student photography project ;-) I just said "Good morning!"
    and walked on by :)

    Andrew

    --
    +----------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
    | Andrew Conroy, Owl-Art Un-Ltd. | email: [email protected] | Coming to you on an Acorn
    | RiscPC SA110 | Snail: 58 Newland Road, |
    | | Worthing, |

    +----------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
    The impossible I can do at once, miracles take a little longer!!

  8. [email protected] (RJ Webb) wrote in news:4037bdc0.41686093
    @news-text.blueyonder.co.uk:

    > On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:44:49 -0000, "Michael Brockhurst" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Come on. I bet loads of the group have 'made love' on the hills. Come
    on
    >>gang, reveal all.
    >
    > Whats the betting that someone is doing the Munros in this fashion. Look out for a joint
    > completion!

    And a child asking "...why did you call me Ben?"

    Actually that rather stipulates that it's the same partner. Pretty exhausting after a day on the
    Kintail Ridge. Any suggestions of how to do the In-Pin?

    --
    Adrian

  9. Andyp

    Andyp Guest

    "Andrew Conroy" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Well, I do remember, a couple of years ago, coming round a corner along the edge of a corn field
    > once to find two young women, one of whom was hastily pulling a swimming costume back on whilst
    > the other was fiddling with some camera equipment! It was just outside the University of Brighton
    > Falmer Campus so I guess it might have been a student photography project ;-) I just said "Good
    > morning!" and walked on by :)

    I found a girl being photographed topless on a bike up the top of Glen Nevis a year or two ago. I
    just smiled at her and said "Nice bike".

  10. Duncan Gray

    Duncan Gray Guest

    "Adrian Tupper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (RJ Webb) wrote in news:4037bdc0.41686093 @news-
    > text.blueyonder.co.uk:
    >
    > > On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:44:49 -0000, "Michael Brockhurst" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Come on. I bet loads of the group have 'made love' on the hills. Come
    > on
    > >>gang, reveal all.
    > >
    > > Whats the betting that someone is doing the Munros in this fashion. Look out for a joint
    > > completion!
    >
    > And a child asking "...why did you call me Ben?"
    >
    > Actually that rather stipulates that it's the same partner. Pretty exhausting after a day on the
    > Kintail Ridge. Any suggestions of how to do the In-Pin?

    With protection in place ?

    --
    Duncan Gray

    homepage - www.duncolm.co.uk also www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk The Mountaineering Council
    of Scotland

  11. David Cotton

    David Cotton Guest

    Forester <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I recall reading in an old Scottish walking book from the '70s of the author and his companion
    > coming across a party of four young ramblers in the far north. It was a hot day but he was still
    > "pleasantly surprised" by the sight of the 2 females walking towards them wearing bikinis (with
    > boots and socks on I presume). He also stated- in a slightly un PC '70s kind of way - that they
    > looked rather good in their bikinis!! Oh, what innocent days!
    >
    > I can't say I've ever come across anything like that in all my years of walking, and I can't
    > imagine any females wearing so little when rambling these days. As for wearing so little in
    > Scotland in summer....Perhaps there were some real scorchers last year in the Highlands just as we
    > had in the '70s?
    >
    > Anybody else had strange or similar encounters....Steve Gough (the naked rambler) sitings, etc?

    My favourite of these were two girls sunbathing nude at the northern end of Sandwood Bay in May
    2002. I did not approach them whilst they were naked, but I ended up camping a hundred yards away
    from them, and we had a nice chat over a campfire some Glaswegians had left the previous night. It
    turns out that the parents of one of them lived in the next village up from me in Cambridge.

    I had run out of whisky but had plenty of Meths left, and they had run out of Meths so we exchanged
    some Meths for Whisky - a form of alchemy that I could get used to! And I think that I got the best
    side of the deal.

    A very memorable evening.

    Then there was the bottom bouncing up and down in the heather on a clifftop in Pembrokeshire last
    March - but that was a far less memorable image!

    --
    David Cotton http://www.cus.org.uk/~discjirm/walks/

  12. It wasn't mine!

    "David Cotton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Forester <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I recall reading in an old Scottish walking book from the '70s of the author and his companion
    > > coming across a party of four young ramblers in the far north. It was a hot day but he was still
    > > "pleasantly surprised" by the sight of the 2 females walking towards them wearing bikinis (with
    > > boots and socks on I presume). He also stated- in a slightly un PC '70s kind of way - that they
    > > looked rather good in their bikinis!! Oh, what innocent days!
    > >
    > > I can't say I've ever come across anything like that in all my years of walking, and I can't
    > > imagine any females wearing so little when rambling these days. As for wearing so little in
    > > Scotland in summer....Perhaps there were some real scorchers last year in the Highlands just as
    > > we had in the '70s?
    > >
    > > Anybody else had strange or similar encounters....Steve Gough (the naked rambler) sitings, etc?
    >
    > My favourite of these were two girls sunbathing nude at the northern end of Sandwood Bay in May
    > 2002. I did not approach them whilst they were naked, but I ended up camping a hundred yards away
    > from them, and we had a nice chat over a campfire some Glaswegians had left the previous night. It
    > turns out that the parents of one of them lived in the next village up from me in Cambridge.
    >
    > I had run out of whisky but had plenty of Meths left, and they had run out of Meths so we
    > exchanged some Meths for Whisky - a form of alchemy that I could get used to! And I think that I
    > got the best side of the deal.
    >
    > A very memorable evening.
    >
    > Then there was the bottom bouncing up and down in the heather on a clifftop in Pembrokeshire last
    > March - but that was a far less memorable image!
    >
    > --
    > David Cotton http://www.cus.org.uk/~discjirm/walks/

  13. RJ Webb

    RJ Webb Guest

    >Actually that rather stipulates that it's the same partner. Pretty exhausting after a day on the
    >Kintail Ridge. Any suggestions of how to do the In-Pin?
    >
    >--

    <XRaySpex> Oh bondage up yours! </XRaySpex>

    Richard Webb

  14. "Duncan Gray" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    204412.news.uni-berlin.de:

    >> @news-text.blueyonder.co.uk:

    Come
    >> on
    >> >
    >> > Whats the betting that someone is doing the Munros in this fashion. Look out for a joint
    >> > completion!
    >>
    >> And a child asking "...why did you call me Ben?"
    >>
    >> Actually that rather stipulates that it's the same partner. Pretty exhausting after a day on the
    >> Kintail Ridge. Any suggestions of how
    >> do the In-Pin?
    >
    > With protection in place ?

    Yes, very good. The more I think about Richard's statement the more it seems to open up
    possibilities.

    --
    Adrian

  15. Nick Pedley

    Nick Pedley Guest

    "Forester" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I recall reading in an old Scottish walking book from the '70s of the author and his companion
    > coming across a party of four young ramblers in the far north. It was a hot day but he was still
    > "pleasantly surprised" by the sight of the 2 females walking towards them wearing bikinis (with
    > boots and socks on I presume). He also stated- in a slightly un PC '70s kind of way - that they
    > looked rather good in their bikinis!! Oh, what innocent days!
    >
    > I can't say I've ever come across anything like that in all my years of walking, and I can't
    > imagine any females wearing so little when rambling these days. As for wearing so little in
    > Scotland in summer....Perhaps there were some real scorchers last year in the Highlands just as we
    > had in the '70s?
    >
    > Anybody else had strange or similar encounters....Steve Gough (the naked rambler) sitings, etc?

    Who was it had a rather nice pic of 4 girls who'd just run up a hill wearing not-a-lot...?

    Nick

  16. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    http://www.geocities.com/paulrooney2003/HighRaiseView.jpg

    --

    Paul

    My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003):

    http://paulrooney.netfirms.com

  17. On 22 Feb 2004 00:28:09 GMT, Adrian Tupper
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[email protected] (RJ Webb) wrote in news:4037bdc0.41686093 @news-
    >text.blueyonder.co.uk:
    >
    >> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:44:49 -0000, "Michael Brockhurst" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Come on. I bet loads of the group have 'made love' on the hills. Come
    >on
    >>>gang, reveal all.
    >>
    >> Whats the betting that someone is doing the Munros in this fashion. Look out for a joint
    >> completion!
    >
    >And a child asking "...why did you call me Ben?"
    >
    >Actually that rather stipulates that it's the same partner. Pretty exhausting after a day on the
    >Kintail Ridge. Any suggestions of how to do the In-Pin?

    I suspect that it might be easier now that Whillans harnesses have gone out of fashion.

  18. Kro

    Kro Guest

    "Forester" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >He also stated- in a slightly un PC '70s kind of way - that they looked rather good in their
    >bikinis!!

    That why I say **** political correctness. Have you heard the one about ........

    KRO

  19. Kro

    Kro Guest

  20. steve Wilcox

    steve Wilcox Guest

    I was walking in The Langdale area one day ( descending from Harrison Stickle to Pike O' Stickle -
    very boggy at the time . . . .). The mist was down, and visibility was poor. I'd stopped to consult
    the map when a man appeared out of the mist. He was clad in a pinstripe suit and brogues, and
    sported a large folded umbrella under his arm. He asked me if he was "Going the right way for
    Ambleside". I can't remember if I answered him or not, as I was totally gobsmacked. He looked like a
    city banker who'd been teleported on to the fells . . . .

    --
    Peace !

    Steve Wilcox

    "If Whisky Don't Kill Me I'll Live 'Til I Die"

    [email protected]