Strange encounters on the hills

[email protected] said...

> "Forester" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:dbeaver-
> [email protected]...
> >He also stated- in a slightly un PC '70s kind of way - that they looked rather good in their
> >bikinis!!
>
> That why I say **** political correctness. Have you heard the one about ........

Correctness shmorrectness. Bloody PC-isms make my blood boil. Most of the time there's no need for
it at all. I'd be willing to bet that most of the so-called offended people couldn't give a wotsit
99% of the time.
--
Fran If you need my email address please ask.

"Forester" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> I recall reading in an old Scottish walking book from the '70s of the author and his companion
> coming across a party of four young ramblers in the far north. It was a hot day but he was still
> "pleasantly surprised" by the sight of the 2 females walking towards them wearing bikinis (with
> boots and socks on I presume). He also stated- in a slightly un PC '70s kind of way - that they
> looked rather good in their bikinis!! Oh, what innocent days!
>
> I can't say I've ever come across anything like that in all my years of walking, and I can't
> imagine any females wearing so little when rambling these days. As for wearing so little in
> Scotland in summer....Perhaps there were some real scorchers last year in the Highlands just as we
> had in the '70s?
>
> Anybody else had strange or similar encounters....Steve Gough (the naked rambler) sitings, etc?

I can recall one encounter that happened to four companions and myself in March 1988. I'm not sure
that it qualifies as strange, but it was certainly an extremely rare event. The location might not
qualify as in the hills, since we walking across Calton Pastures at SK235685, having come from
Chatsworth House, walking north west toward Bakewell. Bakewell was only one mile away, but might
well have been much more, because from where we were it was impossible to see any buildings. Rather
rare for a fine Sunday afternoon in what is after all part of the grounds of Chatsworth House we
could not see another person.

The peace and tranquillity were slightly disturbed by a light aircraft coming towards us on a
reciprocal heading to our own. It was quite low when it passed overhead, but when a short distance
behind us it turned onto a similar heading to our own, landed about a hundred yards to one side of
us, coming to rest on the footpath some 200 yards in front of us. The pilot, an elderly man who was
flying alone, got out and came towards us map in hand – lost. His map was open at an area just to
the south of Birmingham. He only had an air navigation chart for the south of England, and had he
landed about five miles north of us would have been off the map. We were able to give him his exact
location and waited whilst he took off and flew away.

Sorry about the lack of naked bodies, there were not any.

**** Gays, Leicester Ramblers Air Navigation Consultants.

"Fran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] said...
> >
> > "Forester" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:dbeaver-
> > [email protected]...
> > >He also stated- in a slightly un PC '70s kind of way - that they looked rather good in their
> > >bikinis!!
> >
> > That why I say **** political correctness. Have you heard the one about ........
>
> Correctness shmorrectness. Bloody PC-isms make my blood boil. Most of the time there's no need for
> it at all. I'd be willing to bet that most of the so-called offended people couldn't give a wotsit
> 99% of the time.

I agree - they've taken politeness and common sense too far. And you can't really legislate for
those qualities. I always laugh when I see an advert for, say the fire brigade looking for
firefighters (they're firemen and firewomen in my book) and advise that such and such an authority
is an equal opportunities and imply that if you're a one legged black lesbian, the jobs yours. In
reality it's not, noones fooled and it all comes down to lipservice.But taking offence at something
is quite a profitable state of affairs these days.........

KRO

"KRO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I always laugh when I see an advert for, say the fire brigade looking for
firefighters (they're
> firemen and firewomen in my book) and advise that such and such an authority is an equal
> opportunities and imply that if you're a one legged black lesbian, the jobs yours.

Which is the funny part? One legged, black or lesbian?

--

Bernie Get back on the wagon to reply..

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:56:53 +0000 (UTC), "KRO" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Fran" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> [email protected] said...
>> >
>> > "Forester" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:dbeaver-
>> > [email protected]...
>> >
>> > That why I say **** political correctness. Have you heard the one about ........
>>
>> Correctness shmorrectness. Bloody PC-isms make my blood boil. Most of the time there's no need
>> for it at all. I'd be willing to bet that most of the so-called offended people couldn't give a
>> wotsit 99% of the time.
>
>I agree - they've taken politeness and common sense too far. And you can't really legislate for
>those qualities. I always laugh when I see an advert for, say the fire brigade looking for
>firefighters (they're firemen and firewomen in my book) and advise that such and such an authority
>is an equal opportunities and imply that if you're a one legged black lesbian, the jobs yours. In
>reality it's not, noones fooled and it all comes down to lipservice.But taking offence at something
>is quite a profitable state of affairs these days.........

Well firefighter does take up less space than firemen and firewomen.

However. I've been thrown out of meetings before now as I refused to address an item of furniture.
I'll call the guy in head seat the chairman and the lady the chairwoman but I'll be blowed if I'll
address the Chair.

--
79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot. The other 42% are made up later on. In Warwick -
looking at flat fields and that includes the castle.

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:49:15 GMT, [email protected] (Chris
Street) wrote:

>However. I've been thrown out of meetings before now as I refused to address an item of furniture.
>I'll call the guy in head seat the chairman and the lady the chairwoman

[email protected] said...
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:49:15 GMT, [email protected] (Chris Street) wrote:
>

> >However. I've been thrown out of meetings before now as I refused to address an item of
> >furniture. I'll call the guy in head seat the chairman and the lady the chairwoman

Agreed. There's a personhole in the middle of the road.
--
Fran If you need my email address please ask.

"Mark South" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 14:36:15 -0000, "Nick Pedley"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > >Who was it had a rather nice pic of 4 girls who'd just run up a hill
> wearing
> > >not-a-lot...?
> > >
> > >Nick
> > >
> > http://www.geocities.com/paulrooney2003/HighRaiseView.jpg
>
> There appear to be 5 in that pic....
> --
> Mark South: Citizen of the World, Denizen of the Net

Oh yeah.... so there are! Apparently there's a nice view of the Lake District somewhere in that
pic... ;-)

Nick

Street) wrote:

>However. I've been thrown out of meetings before now as I refused to address an item of furniture.
>I'll call the guy in head seat the chairman and the lady the chairwoman but I'll be blowed if I'll
>address the Chair.

My dictionary says "chair" can be the person occupying the position. It

--
Money doesn't come easy - that's the way it goes!

Mail john rather than nospam...

Chris Street <[email protected]> wrote

>However. I've been thrown out of meetings before now as I refused to address an item of furniture.
>I'll call the guy in head seat the chairman and the lady the chairwoman but I'll be blowed if I'll
>address the Chair.

I used to chair meetings from time to time. ;-)
--
Gordon

> Anybody else had strange or similar encounters....Steve Gough (the naked rambler) sitings, etc?

Wierd thing happened to me about 5 years ago. I was driving over the A628 Woodhead Pass between
Barnsley and Manchester (a road that has a reputation for strange goings on) and saw, out out the
moor about 30 yards from the road a man, dressed in police uniform (normal black Bobby's uniform
with helmet) walking across the moor. Funny place to see a copper I commented to my girlfriend (no
sign of a police car parked up). Funny looking copper she said - he had a big bushy grey beard and
looked in his 50s or 60s - quite old for a PC. Thought nothing of it. But then a couple of miles
further along there was another one! Another bearded elderly policeman, spitting image of the first,
out on the moor - looked like he was searching for something. There was no way it could have been
the same guy - nothing had overtaken our car. How many elderly bearded police constables do you
expect to see out on a moor in one day??? To this day I can't explain
it. It was broad daylight, I wasn't drunk, and two of us saw them. Is there a bearded constable
rambling club or something? Anyone know of a pair of twin policemen working in the South
Yorkshire / Derbyshire forces?

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:23:27 +0000, Simon Caldwell
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:49:15 GMT, [email protected] (Chris Street) wrote:
>

>>However. I've been thrown out of meetings before now as I refused to address an item of furniture.
>>I'll call the guy in head seat the chairman and the lady the chairwoman

You've never met anyone from Derbyshire county council then. This was the council who replaced
manhole with "personnell access cover", black and white boards with chalk and penboard and banned
people from asking for a black coffee in the canteen - you had to ask for coffee without
milk.

Mind you it was perfectly acceptable for coloured people to ask for white coffee.

--
79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot. The other 42% are made up later on. In Warwick -
looking at flat fields and that includes the castle.

In message <[email protected]>, Bernie Hughes
<[email protected]> writes
>"KRO" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> I always laugh when I see an advert for, say the fire brigade looking for
>firefighters (they're
>> firemen and firewomen in my book) and advise that such and such an authority is an equal
>> opportunities and imply that if you're a one legged black lesbian, the jobs yours.
>
>Which is the funny part? One legged, black or lesbian?

If I were an employer and I had to choose between a one-legged black

would choose. For a start, the former might have more interesting things to say.

--
Martin Richardson
216/284 Munros (34/34 'Furths')

"Chris Street" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You've never met anyone from Derbyshire county council then. This was the council who replaced
> manhole with "personnell access cover", black and white boards with chalk and penboard and banned
> people from asking for a black coffee in the canteen - you had to ask for coffee without
> milk.

Are you serious? I thought that was urban myth!

KRO

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:46:21 +0000 (UTC), KRO wrote:

> "Chris Street" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> You've never met anyone from Derbyshire county council then. This was the council who replaced
>> manhole with "personnell access cover", black and white boards with chalk and penboard and banned
>> people from asking for a black coffee in the canteen - you had to ask for coffee without
>> milk.
>
> Are you serious? I thought that was urban myth!
>
> KRO

No our school canteen was told that they were not to serve black coffee. This mean of course that
every single kid there started asking for ****er coffee or honky coffee as a protest depending on
their skin colour and personal aggravtion levels.

Martin Richardson <[email protected]> wrote
>In message <[email protected]>, Bernie Hughes
><[email protected]> writes
>>"KRO" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>> I always laugh when I see an advert for, say the fire brigade looking for
>>firefighters (they're
>>> firemen and firewomen in my book) and advise that such and such an authority is an equal
>>> opportunities and imply that if you're a one legged black lesbian, the jobs yours.
>>
>>Which is the funny part? One legged, black or lesbian?
>>
>If I were an employer and I had to choose between a one-legged black

>would choose. For a start, the former might have more interesting things to say.

Well said, you two-legged, physically-advantaged white . . . .

Uh - oh! I forgot about your sheep.
--
Gordon

Chris Street <[email protected]> wrote

>Mind you it was perfectly acceptable for coloured people to ask for white coffee.

Exactly what colour were these people?

White, black, yellow or brown?

These days if you want coffee you have to say whether you want Capuccino, Latte, Mocha, and whether
you want Tall, Grande or F****** Enormous. It's the Merkan influence.
--
Gordon