Strange encounters on the hills

Richard C <[email protected]> wrote
>> Anybody else had strange or similar encounters....Steve Gough (the naked rambler) sitings, etc?
>

>Wierd thing happened to me about 5 years ago. I was driving over the A628 Woodhead Pass between
>Barnsley and Manchester (a road that has a reputation for strange goings on) and saw, out out the
>moor about 30 yards from the road a man, dressed in police uniform (normal black Bobby's uniform
>with helmet) walking across the moor. Funny place to see a copper I commented to my girlfriend (no
>sign of a police car parked up). Funny looking copper she said - he had a big bushy grey beard and
>looked in his 50s or 60s - quite old for a PC. Thought nothing of it. But then a couple of miles
>further along there was another one! Another bearded elderly policeman, spitting image of the
>first, out on the moor - looked like he was searching for something. There was no way it could have
>been the same guy - nothing had overtaken our car. How many elderly bearded police constables do
>you expect to see out on a moor in one day??? To this day I can't explain
>it. It was broad daylight, I wasn't drunk, and two of us saw them. Is there a bearded constable
> rambling club or something? Anyone know of a pair of twin policemen working in the South
> Yorkshire / Derbyshire forces?

It's a plot to disconcert any Tykes who venture over from 'The Other Side' of the barrier. :-

The first rescue attempts for aircraft wrecks in the Peak area were conducted by policemen in
unsuitable gear, maybe they were ghosts?
--
Gordon

"Martin Richardson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> If I were an employer and I had to choose between a one-legged black

> would choose. For a start, the former might have more interesting things to say.

And would probably be less prone to recycling low-brow reactionary **** gleamed from the Daily Mail
letters page.

--

Bernie Get back on the wagon to reply..

"Bernie Hughes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:0ws%[email protected]...
> "Martin Richardson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > If I were an employer and I had to choose between a one-legged black

> > would choose. For a start, the former might have more interesting things to say.
>
> And would probably be less prone to recycling low-brow reactionary **** gleamed from the Daily
> Mail letters page.
] But more likely to spout anarcho-revolutionary tosh from the Guardian.

KRO

[email protected] said...
> >Mind you it was perfectly acceptable for coloured people to ask for white coffee.
> >
> Exactly what colour were these people?

Brown. We all are. Just different shades.
--
Fran If you need my email address please ask.

Just been back home...

9 lambs so far... All Black and all Welsh... How does that fit in with the PC nonsense.

Richard Webb

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:01:20 +0000, Chris Street wrote:

>On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:46:21 +0000 (UTC), KRO wrote:
>
>> "Chris Street" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> You've never met anyone from Derbyshire county council then. This was the council who replaced
>>> manhole with "personnell access cover", black and white boards with chalk and penboard and
>>> banned people from asking for a black coffee in the canteen - you had to ask for coffee without
>>> milk.
>>
>> Are you serious? I thought that was urban myth!
>>
>> KRO
>
>No our school canteen was told that they were not to serve black coffee. This mean of course that
>every single kid there started asking for ****er coffee or honky coffee as a protest depending on
>their skin colour and personal aggravtion levels.

The simple way round this problem is for coffee to come without milk as default. To get milk you
then have to ask for coffee with milk.

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:14:06 +0000, Phil Cook
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:01:20 +0000, Chris Street wrote:
>>
>>No our school canteen was told that they were not to serve black coffee. This mean of course that
>>every single kid there started asking for ****er coffee or honky coffee as a protest depending on
>>their skin colour and personal aggravtion levels.
>
>The simple way round this problem is for coffee to come without milk as default. To get milk you
>then have to ask for coffee with milk.

What if they only have non-dairy creamer or some other abomination ?

[There was a lovely scene in Frasier where he and Niles order two decaf lattes with skimmed milk.
The server turns and passes on an order for "two gutless wonders !"]

--
Junk: stuff we throw away... Stuff: junk we keep...

Mail john rather than nospam...

"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The simple way round this problem is for coffee to come without milk as default. To get milk you
> then have to ask for coffee with milk.
> --
> Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

No, the simple way is to ask for what you want, black or white. Anyone who takes offence is simply
not worth a further thought.

KRO

KRO <[email protected]> wrote

>"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> The simple way round this problem is for coffee to come without milk as default. To get milk you
>> then have to ask for coffee with milk.
>> --
>> Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"
>
>No, the simple way is to ask for what you want, black or white. Anyone who takes offence is simply
>not worth a further thought.

They give you a blank stare in Starbucks if you ask for white. You have to be specific, Latte,
Cappuccino, Mocha, etc etc and pick the size, too. I always have "Tall", which is the smallest
cup. <Duh>

The reason for the blank stare is that you put your own milk in if you just want white coffee,
otherwise they serve it black, and if you say "with milk" they nod towards the table where there is
a choice of whole milk, skimmed milk, semi-skimmed milk.

I am always nervous in American cafés........
--
Gordon

[email protected] said...
> Just been back home...
>
> 9 lambs so far... All Black and all Welsh... How does that fit in with the PC nonsense.

# Baa, baa, ethnic ovine, Have you any lanoline product? Yes sir/madam, yes sir/madam three bags
# full One for the senior management, One for the householder, And one for the child of small
# stature who lives down the small
road.
--
Fran If you need my email address please ask.

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:55:06 +0000, Gordon <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Chris Street <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>>Mind you it was perfectly acceptable for coloured people to ask for white coffee.
>>
>Exactly what colour were these people?
>
>White, black, yellow or brown?

All plus shades in between in our school. We had one poor unfortunate lad who was an interesting
"checkerboard" effect too as I recall.

Mind you Cecil "cesspit" Thompson our economics tutor (black as a ****er and didn't give a s***)
went holy beserk when he was ticked off for ordering a white coffee. OFSTED were auditing that
day as well.

After that, PC coffee was dropped from the menu.

--
79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot. The other 42% are made up later on. In Warwick -
looking at flat fields and that includes the castle.

In article <[email protected]>,
Fran <[email protected]> writes:

>> 9 lambs so far... All Black and all Welsh... How does that fit in with the PC nonsense.
>
> # Baa, baa, ethnic ovine,

How is colour a matter of ethnicity in sheep?

> # Have you any lanoline product?

Since when is raw unprocessed wool "lanoline product?"
> # Yes sir/madam, yes sir/madam three bags full One for the senior management,

So like agricultural subsidies - handouts to the rich.

> # One for the householder,

Oh dear, ditto.

> # And one for the child of small stature who lives down the small
> road.

What a disgracefully heightist attitude. And just think what horrors the poor child is exposed to
now you've told us where it lives. Let's just hope no priests read this newsgroup.

--
Nick Kew

[email protected] said...
> Mind you Cecil "cesspit" Thompson our economics tutor (black as a ****er and didn't give a s***)
> went holy beserk when he was ticked off for ordering a white coffee. OFSTED were auditing that day
> as well.

Oh dear, wot a shame. Snigger.

> After that, PC coffee was dropped from the menu.

Mucho snigger.
--

"KRO" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > > If I were an employer and I had to choose between a one-legged black

> > > would choose. For a start, the former might have more interesting things to say.
> >
> > And would probably be less prone to recycling low-brow reactionary **** gleamed from the Daily
> > Mail letters page.
> ] But more likely to spout anarcho-revolutionary tosh from the Guardian.

I don't really think it's considered very revolutionary these days to believe people are entitled to
a fair crack at the employment market even if they happen to be black, lesbian or disabled.
Evidently the douce, conservative suburbs of Ayrshire are a bit behind the times.

I don't much like the Guardian as it happens. Other than the cartoons.

Bernie

In article <[email protected]>, Fran <[email protected]> writes
>[email protected] said...
>> Mind you Cecil "cesspit" Thompson our economics tutor (black as a ****er and didn't give a s***)
>> went holy beserk when he was ticked off for ordering a white coffee. OFSTED were auditing that
>> day as well.
>
>Oh dear, wot a shame. Snigger.
>
>> After that, PC coffee was dropped from the menu.
>
>Mucho snigger.

You know all about PC coffee Fran - you've spilled enough of it on your keyboard :)
--
Bill Grey http://www.billboy.co.uk

[email protected] said...
> In article <[email protected]>, Fran <[email protected]> writes
> >[email protected] said...
> >> Mind you Cecil "cesspit" Thompson our economics tutor (black as a ****er and didn't give a
> >> s***) went holy beserk when he was ticked off for ordering a white coffee. OFSTED were auditing
> >> that day as well.
> >
> >Oh dear, wot a shame. Snigger.
> >
> >> After that, PC coffee was dropped from the menu.
> >
> >Mucho snigger.
>
> You know all about PC coffee Fran - you've spilled enough of it on your keyboard :)

Nah, I don't drink coffee - that's tea stains you're looking at!
--
Fran If you need my email address please ask.

>But more likely to spout anarcho-revolutionary tosh from the Guardian.

If only......

Richard Webb