Strange Feeling Below??

Sam123

Aug 1, 2009
When riding standing up, I'd sit down then get this strange feeling in my penis its just like a shock/tingle but it sorta hurts, it make you feel like ouch make you cringe sorta. Then it will go within like a second if i stand up then sit down again it will do the same until i have a move around with it. Anyone know what this is or experienced it? To tight shorts? Or the Seat is to hard?

Every single time I've set a 100# weight on my genitals I've felt a painful shock too.

Seriously, make sure your positioned so that you don't crush anything valuable. If is the area between you genitals and anus, the perineum it really isn't uncommon to have a bit of pain there when you start riding and maybe for the first few times but that should resolve quickly, make sure your saddle position is correct and that you're not spending the whole ride on the rivet.

I don't think i am I'd try to move back a far on the seat and ill still feel it for about a second until i move it around lol.

Also what would it mean by having a burning feel in the gooch? Hard seat?

I think that you may be experiencing the beginning of penial nerve damage. Any strange feelings from below the belt is serious stuff if you value your sex life. You need to make sure that your saddle is the right size and positioned correctly, and you might want to discuss this issue with your doctor.

To ensure that you have the right saddle size, measure the distance between your sit bones. They are the boney knobs in your posterior that bear your weight when you sit down. A good way to do this is to take a peice of aluminum foil, place it on a carpeted step, and then sit on it. When you get up, you will see two impressions that are deeper than the others. Measure the distance between these impressions and that will be the distance between your sit bones. You need to have a saddle that is wider than your sit bones, otherwise you will have soft tissue filled with nerves supporting your weight. It is too easy for these nerves to suffer compression damage from supporting your weight.

A level seat is just a starting point for adjusting your saddle. If you are putting weight on your tender bits when you are in the saddle, not only are you compressing your nerves, you are also decreasing the blood flow. It is OK to slightly tilt your saddle forward to relieve pressure, but not so far that you begin to slide forward when you are riding. Also ensure that your saddle is not raised too high as this will cause undue pressure also.

interstesting questions and helpful responses. I just went to a road bike (giant tcr2) from a hybrid (trek 7.5fx) the immediate issue was discomfort in my groin..:eek:.. the 100mm stem had me a touch to far forward, switched to a 80mm riser, the stella seat while sexy to look at was just like sitting on a rock, switched to a wilderness speedV and I swapped the carbon post for an alluminum I could lower about 3/4" more, the carbon would not lower any more. I do plan on getting anouther carbon post though.

Now that I am dialed in, I feal great and more importantly so does my groin. And I love the switch to a road bike, my rides are longer and much more comfortable on my hands/wrists..

Sam123 said:
Also what would it mean by having a burning feel in the gooch? Hard seat?

STD.

I gotta say that in the better part of a decade and a half of riding and racing I've never had a burning sensation in the ol' Wedding Tackle caused by riding bicycles...

swampy1970 said:
STD.

I gotta say that in the better part of a decade and a half of riding and racing I've never had a burning sensation in the ol' Wedding Tackle caused by riding bicycles...
I haven't had intercourse -,- so thats one less thing it could be...

Sam, after reading this thread and your other thread where you stated that you had back pain, I think that you really need to get fitted. If there is no place near you that can do a fitting, then it is time to take a trip to someplace where you can get fitted. When you first begin to ride, you may feel a little tenderness in your backside just because you are getting used to the saddle, but once that is over, you should feel no pain while riding. If you do, then it is a bad fit or you just crashed:rolleyes:. A bad fit can induce a new rider to give up riding because it is too painful, and it can actually cause physical harm. You need to quit asking the opinion of the folks on this forum, bite the bullet, and get fitted before you get hurt.

Kdelong probably has it right on, except you might be able to fix a glaring problem yourself, google bicycle fitting basics or better yet ask a real live cyclist near you to check out your setup. I've set up friends and coworkers bikes several times and only once had to send someone (my wife) for a pro fit.

Sam123 said:
When riding standing up, I'd sit down then get this strange feeling in my penis its just like a shock/tingle but it sorta hurts, it make you feel like ouch make you cringe sorta. Then it will go within like a second if i stand up then sit down again it will do the same until i have a move around with it. Anyone know what this is or experienced it? To tight shorts? Or the Seat is to hard?

Special cutout/grooved saddles have been designed to eliminate this problem. When using these saddles contact between sensitive areas of your undercarriage and saddle is completely eliminated. The most effective looking of these are the recently released saddles from Cobb. These saddles should remove all discomfort and risk of injury. Select the saddle that gives greatest clearance.

Of course, "effective looking" has nothing to do with which saddle works for a person, neither does having "the most clearance." The OP likely needs to sort out his fit issues before blowing money on a saddle, especially when his current saddle may be fine but just positioned wrong.

Sam123 said:
may be worth considering changing saddle was advised myself to go for a cut out saddle selle slr this will make a huge difference in comfort and your not doing any long term damage actually seen rider in the tour today useing one there a bit bulky but the pros far out weigh this ..good luck

Whats a cheap saddle with a whole in the middle? Will it 100% solve the burning feel under the gooch?

Sam123 said:
Whats a cheap saddle with a whole in the middle? Will it 100% solve the burning feel under the gooch?

Go get a bike fit at a shop, they will get you set up correctly and will likely put you on a few different saddles. Buying a new saddle will probably not fix the problem, the problem is your fit on the bike. The saddle, pedals, and handlebar all need to be in the right places!

You might need a new stem more than a new saddle!

Don't waste money on a new part until you've identified that part as being the problem!