Strange front wheel & Handlebar Shaking.

willocrew

May 27, 2006
Experienced some weird shaking/bouncing of the front handlebar and front wheel and the road was smooth. I've never experienced this before so its very strange.

I don't think its a loose headset, cuz when I shake the handlebar, there's no clunking or movement, although if I lift the bike off the ground at the front part of the toptube, the handlebar lops left and right rather loosely. Is that too loose?

Usually my tires are inflated to around 100 psi, but I had decided to ride at 110 psi. I don't think its due to overinflated tire pressure because the shaking occurred in the middle of my ride and when the road was smooth.

Front wheel quick release was tight enough.

I spun the wheel, and it didn't wobble or seem of balance.

I wasn't going very fast. Around 30 - 32 km/h on flats if I recall correctly, but might be wrong.

Aluminium frame.

My front wheel has always produced at strange 'howling' sound. Almost like a moan or someone blowing through a long PVC pipe sound. Not sure if it has anythinng to do with it, but its to do with the front wheel so thought I'll mention it.

Anyone had this problem before?

Would suggest a few other tests to determine if your headset is too loose.

Bike on the ground, put front brake on and rock the bike back and forth (maybe with your foot on the nearside pedal to keep the back wheel on the ground).

Or bounce the front wheel on the ground, say from 10 cm high. Clunking or rattly-type noises probably mean the headset is too loose.

Make sure the bars move freely after any adjustment.

Can't help with the howling noise.

I get the same thing on my bike going downhill at 30-40 mph. It usually gets going when I hit a rough patch or crosswind hits me (a truck going by me will give me a pretty good gust and is enough to start this). My headset is tight and I am thinking it is my Ksyrium wheels and the bladed spoke?

PSC said:
I get the same thing on my bike going downhill at 30-40 mph. It usually gets going when I hit a rough patch or crosswind hits me (a truck going by me will give me a pretty good gust and is enough to start this). My headset is tight and I am thinking it is my Ksyrium wheels and the bladed spoke?
Check this out : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_wobble

Very peculiar.

davef said:
Would suggest a few other tests to determine if your headset is too loose.

Bike on the ground, put front brake on and rock the bike back and forth (maybe with your foot on the nearside pedal to keep the back wheel on the ground).

Or bounce the front wheel on the ground, say from 10 cm high. Clunking or rattly-type noises probably mean the headset is too loose.

Make sure the bars move freely after any adjustment.

Can't help with the howling noise.
Yea, I just gave those a try. Doesn't seem to indicate loose headset.

Although I read somewhere that if you lift you bike by the toptube nearest to the handle bar, the handle bar should not flop left and right loosely. If it does it means you've got a loose headset. Thats whats happening to my bike, although every other test is OK.