Strange geological phenomenom on Beach Rd

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by DaveB, Jan 22, 2005.

  1. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Something strange happened on Beach rd this morning. I was doing the 4 x
    10km bike leg of a tri and as I came past Catani gardens on the first
    lap all appeared ok and stuck to about 32kmh as I went up the slight
    rise heading southbound.

    On the second lap strange things started to happen, the slight rise had
    grown to become a noticeable rise and forced me to drop to 30kmh. On the
    third lap there had obviously been some serious subturranean shifting of
    plates because it had become a hill (down to 28kmh) and by the fourth
    lap it had become something akin to Mt Buller (26kmh). The strangest
    part was that although the rise increased in size there was no increase
    in the size of the downhill on teh other side. How bizarre is that?

    DaveB "suffering severe mental and physical damage, I think the distance
    from the study to the couch has also been affected"

    Tags:

  2. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    <snip DaveB's Beach Rd. funnies>

    hehe.. nice one DaveB! :)

    You should speak to the local council about
    securing the tectonic plates on weekends.

    Do you also find that, post-race, you resemble
    a drunk? Can't walk straight, run into things coz
    you can't see straight, slur your speech, etc..?
    I know I do..

    hippy
    - staying fimly planted to the couch for safety
    reasons and the Bay Series coverage..

  3. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    Heh heh heh... that's what you get for riding on on multi-lap course. It always feels better on the first lap. Did you recover in the run leg?

    I was thoroughly demoralised this morning at Kurnell - woke up to thunder and lightning, no official parking was left, so I had to park a long way away. The tide was pushing everyone off course in the swim and it was windy on the bike... on the other hand, the run was ok. Oh well, it's a three race series.

    Ritch... sometimes you just don't get into the zone.

  4. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    ritcho wrote:

    > Heh heh heh... that's what you get for riding on on multi-lap course.
    > It always feels better on the first lap. Did you recover in the run
    > leg?

    The run was fairly tragic, but that was to plan; pass some people on the
    bike, get passed by more people on the run. Expected time was 3hrs
    and rough time (no official times yet) was 3hr5min so I'm satisfied with
    that for a first attempt at that distance.

    DaveB 'enjoying a recovery meal with the 3 main food groups: chocolate,
    coke and rocky road ice-cream"

  5. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    The first one is the hardest, congratulations on your first Olympic distance race - enjoy an extra ice-cream for me! My effort today was just a 750/20/5 race. I still have to clean the crud-encrusted bike...

    Ritch

  6. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    "DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > ritcho wrote:
    >
    > > Heh heh heh... that's what you get for riding on on multi-lap course.
    > > It always feels better on the first lap. Did you recover in the run
    > > leg?
    > >

    > The run was fairly tragic, but that was to plan; pass some people on the
    > bike, get passed by more people on the run. Expected time was 3hrs
    > and rough time (no official times yet) was 3hr5min so I'm satisfied with
    > that for a first attempt at that distance.
    >
    > DaveB 'enjoying a recovery meal with the 3 main food groups: chocolate,
    > coke and rocky road ice-cream"

    Dave,

    Results are up on the website now. First outing over the distance and you
    didn't finish last either. Well Done.
    I was there and I actually saw you exit the water. I suppose one of the
    advantages of starting in the last wave is it's really easy to find your
    bike in the transition area. I saw a couple of people exit the water in
    totally disoriented states and there was one guy out in the water, from your
    wave, who looked like he was heading to Sorrento until the life guards put
    him back on course toward the final marker buoy. Only problem was when he
    reached the buoy he started heading back toward the start. It took a while
    for someone to notice this and put him back on course. Poor guy must have
    swum at least 500m further than he needed to. At the entrance to the
    transition same guy got a huge cheer from the waiting crowd of spectators.
    Finding his bike was no problem either ;-)

    I saw a few seconds of the bike leg as I was leaving to go home. Looked
    like one big bunch ride. I don't think the judges would have been able to
    record the numbers of those who were drafting. There were just too many
    doing it. My wife said it was also problem in the mini tri due to the road
    not being wide enough (only one lane in the southbound direction). Another
    problem she mentioned was that heaps of people could not ride in a straight
    line nor could they keep left to allow her and others to safely pass them
    even when she was yelling out to them to move to the left of the lane. (she
    started in the second last wave of the mini tri). I'm assuming that this
    problem was even greater in the Olympic Dist race due to the multiple laps
    required on the bike course.

    Next Sunday I'm sleeping in. The 0400 wakeup times for getting to triathlons
    have really been getting to me. The wife is doing a 1500m open water swim in
    Frankston that starts at 1100. I'm going to ride down there and drive the
    car back since the wife reckons she's going to be hammering in the swim and
    will be too tired to drive back herself. Yeah, I know it's going to be a
    beach road ride but I'm finally going to get a sunday morning ride in. :)

    Geoff

  7. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Geoff wrote:
    > I saw a few seconds of the bike leg as I was leaving to go home. Looked
    > like one big bunch ride. I don't think the judges would have been able to
    > record the numbers of those who were drafting. There were just too many
    > doing it.

    Yep it was pretty messy at the start. I saw quite a few groups blatantly
    riding together and nothing done about it. A few paid the price with at
    least two accidents requiring medical attention and one ambulance.

    > My wife said it was also problem in the mini tri due to the road
    > not being wide enough (only one lane in the southbound direction). Another
    > problem she mentioned was that heaps of people could not ride in a straight
    > line

    The bigger problem for me was the number of cyclists riding through that
    weren't part of the race. And then the run back from the turn point was
    on the bike path so those of us near the back were getting abused by the
    cyclists for running on the bike path and not the footpath (damned
    cyclists, rude bastards the lot of em).

    DaveB "oh for the tranquility of Smiths Gully"

  8. JH

    JH Guest

    Geoff wrote:

    <snip>
    > Next Sunday I'm sleeping in. The 0400 wakeup times for getting to triathlons
    > have really been getting to me.

    <snip>

    Then never mention the Goondiwindi Hell of the West triathlon to your
    wife, extract from entry form pdf below:

    3.30am Numbering commences
    4.00am Bicycles in racks
    4.30am Move to start at Town boat ramp

    http://www.hellofthewest.com/