Strange geological phenomenom on Beach Rd

DaveB

Guest
Something strange happened on Beach rd this morning. I was doing the 4 x
10km bike leg of a tri and as I came past Catani gardens on the first
lap all appeared ok and stuck to about 32kmh as I went up the slight
rise heading southbound.

On the second lap strange things started to happen, the slight rise had
grown to become a noticeable rise and forced me to drop to 30kmh. On the
third lap there had obviously been some serious subturranean shifting of
plates because it had become a hill (down to 28kmh) and by the fourth
lap it had become something akin to Mt Buller (26kmh). The strangest
part was that although the rise increased in size there was no increase
in the size of the downhill on teh other side. How bizarre is that?

DaveB "suffering severe mental and physical damage, I think the distance
from the study to the couch has also been affected"

"DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
<snip DaveB's Beach Rd. funnies>

hehe.. nice one DaveB! :)

You should speak to the local council about
securing the tectonic plates on weekends.

Do you also find that, post-race, you resemble
a drunk? Can't walk straight, run into things coz
you can't see straight, slur your speech, etc..?
I know I do..

hippy
- staying fimly planted to the couch for safety
reasons and the Bay Series coverage..

DaveB said:
Something strange happened on Beach rd this morning. I was doing the 4 x
10km bike leg of a tri and as I came past Catani gardens on the first
lap all appeared ok and stuck to about 32kmh as I went up the slight
rise heading southbound.

On the second lap strange things started to happen, the slight rise had
grown to become a noticeable rise and forced me to drop to 30kmh. On the
third lap there had obviously been some serious subturranean shifting of
plates because it had become a hill (down to 28kmh) and by the fourth
lap it had become something akin to Mt Buller (26kmh). The strangest
part was that although the rise increased in size there was no increase
in the size of the downhill on teh other side. How bizarre is that?

DaveB "suffering severe mental and physical damage, I think the distance
from the study to the couch has also been affected"

Heh heh heh... that's what you get for riding on on multi-lap course. It always feels better on the first lap. Did you recover in the run leg?

I was thoroughly demoralised this morning at Kurnell - woke up to thunder and lightning, no official parking was left, so I had to park a long way away. The tide was pushing everyone off course in the swim and it was windy on the bike... on the other hand, the run was ok. Oh well, it's a three race series.

Ritch... sometimes you just don't get into the zone.

ritcho wrote:

> Heh heh heh... that's what you get for riding on on multi-lap course.
> It always feels better on the first lap. Did you recover in the run
> leg?

The run was fairly tragic, but that was to plan; pass some people on the
bike, get passed by more people on the run. Expected time was 3hrs
and rough time (no official times yet) was 3hr5min so I'm satisfied with
that for a first attempt at that distance.

DaveB 'enjoying a recovery meal with the 3 main food groups: chocolate,
coke and rocky road ice-cream"

DaveB said:
ritcho wrote:

> Heh heh heh... that's what you get for riding on on multi-lap course.
> It always feels better on the first lap. Did you recover in the run
> leg?

The run was fairly tragic, but that was to plan; pass some people on the
bike, get passed by more people on the run. Expected time was 3hrs
and rough time (no official times yet) was 3hr5min so I'm satisfied with
that for a first attempt at that distance.

DaveB 'enjoying a recovery meal with the 3 main food groups: chocolate,
coke and rocky road ice-cream"

The first one is the hardest, congratulations on your first Olympic distance race - enjoy an extra ice-cream for me! My effort today was just a 750/20/5 race. I still have to clean the crud-encrusted bike...

Ritch

"DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ritcho wrote:
>
> > Heh heh heh... that's what you get for riding on on multi-lap course.
> > It always feels better on the first lap. Did you recover in the run
> > leg?
> >

> The run was fairly tragic, but that was to plan; pass some people on the
> bike, get passed by more people on the run. Expected time was 3hrs
> and rough time (no official times yet) was 3hr5min so I'm satisfied with
> that for a first attempt at that distance.
>
> DaveB 'enjoying a recovery meal with the 3 main food groups: chocolate,
> coke and rocky road ice-cream"

Dave,

Results are up on the website now. First outing over the distance and you
didn't finish last either. Well Done.
I was there and I actually saw you exit the water. I suppose one of the
advantages of starting in the last wave is it's really easy to find your
bike in the transition area. I saw a couple of people exit the water in
totally disoriented states and there was one guy out in the water, from your
wave, who looked like he was heading to Sorrento until the life guards put
him back on course toward the final marker buoy. Only problem was when he
reached the buoy he started heading back toward the start. It took a while
for someone to notice this and put him back on course. Poor guy must have
swum at least 500m further than he needed to. At the entrance to the
transition same guy got a huge cheer from the waiting crowd of spectators.
Finding his bike was no problem either ;-)

I saw a few seconds of the bike leg as I was leaving to go home. Looked
like one big bunch ride. I don't think the judges would have been able to
record the numbers of those who were drafting. There were just too many
doing it. My wife said it was also problem in the mini tri due to the road
not being wide enough (only one lane in the southbound direction). Another
problem she mentioned was that heaps of people could not ride in a straight
line nor could they keep left to allow her and others to safely pass them
even when she was yelling out to them to move to the left of the lane. (she
started in the second last wave of the mini tri). I'm assuming that this
problem was even greater in the Olympic Dist race due to the multiple laps
required on the bike course.

Next Sunday I'm sleeping in. The 0400 wakeup times for getting to triathlons
have really been getting to me. The wife is doing a 1500m open water swim in
Frankston that starts at 1100. I'm going to ride down there and drive the
car back since the wife reckons she's going to be hammering in the swim and
will be too tired to drive back herself. Yeah, I know it's going to be a
beach road ride but I'm finally going to get a sunday morning ride in. :)

Geoff

Geoff wrote:
> I saw a few seconds of the bike leg as I was leaving to go home. Looked
> like one big bunch ride. I don't think the judges would have been able to
> record the numbers of those who were drafting. There were just too many
> doing it.

Yep it was pretty messy at the start. I saw quite a few groups blatantly
riding together and nothing done about it. A few paid the price with at
least two accidents requiring medical attention and one ambulance.

> My wife said it was also problem in the mini tri due to the road
> not being wide enough (only one lane in the southbound direction). Another
> problem she mentioned was that heaps of people could not ride in a straight
> line

The bigger problem for me was the number of cyclists riding through that
weren't part of the race. And then the run back from the turn point was
on the bike path so those of us near the back were getting abused by the
cyclists for running on the bike path and not the footpath (damned
cyclists, rude bastards the lot of em).

DaveB "oh for the tranquility of Smiths Gully"

Geoff wrote:

<snip>
> Next Sunday I'm sleeping in. The 0400 wakeup times for getting to triathlons
> have really been getting to me.

<snip>

Then never mention the Goondiwindi Hell of the West triathlon to your
wife, extract from entry form pdf below:

3.30am Numbering commences
4.00am Bicycles in racks
4.30am Move to start at Town boat ramp

http://www.hellofthewest.com/