Strange leg injury

G

I made some changes on my bike that would started a very odd leg injury in my right leg upper muscles. I increased the arm lenghts from 175 to 180mm at the same time I started using Shimano SPD-R pedals that increased even more the distance between my seat and my pedals. Anyway, after two weeks with using this components I started to noticed a little and strange feeling in my right leg. It was like if my leg was not long enough for my pedal, like if I was stretching it. I lowered my seat, but I think it was too late, that feeling never stopped. I have now, like 6 weeks without touching my bike, unfortunately, my injury has not dimished and it changes in intensity and location. Some times it's on my right front leg muscles, some other days on my quad and other days in my right buttock. Have any of you suffered from such a rare pain?, can you give any advise?, rest and stretching have not helped a lot. THX

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but have you been to see a doctor about this yet? If it hasn't healed in six weeks, I'd be seeking professional advice if I were in that position.

No, I haven't, I want to try some home remedies first before listening to a doctor saying I need at least 4 more weeks for healing. Any technics that worked for you on or off the bike when you've injured yoursefl???, thanks... :-[

Sounds like a nerve injury. I would also advise seeing a Doctor.

Biktor, you have made a mistake that many riders make: changing too many variables at once that determine bike/rider setup.
You must remember that your body needs time to adapt to changes that you make to your bike. Altering the length of your pedal stroke AND (at the same time) your forward reach (stem lenghth) is not wise.
My advice is to get yourself measured up properly, and then start off by making small adjustments over a period of time (every fortnight or so). As far as your injury is concerned, maybe have it checked out by a physiotherapist.

That's exactly the lesson I learned, unfortunately at the hardway. Now, I still have those components, after being measured and injured free and be ready to make the adjustments on the bike, how should I proceed to make them according the numbers I get?, meaning, how many mm's can I change in a day-to-day basis without getting injured again???, thanks Vo2. ;)

Golden rule: SMALL ADJUSTMENTS OVER A PERIOD OF TIME.
I would start off with the pedals, which obviously have an influence on the saddle height. Click here for a basic guideline on adjusting the saddle height. If your saddle is too low or too high by miles, I would suggest making small 5mm adjustments every 2 weeks or so until you get the desired height. If the height is out only slightly (less than 1cm), change it to the correct height in one go.
Same goes for everything else. First sort out one variable (saddle height/pedals) before moving on to the next variable (reach). You should make SMALL adjustments (5mm at the most, in my opinion) to any one variable. Changes should be made every 2 weeks or so, to give your body the time to adapt.
It is also a good idea to keep a record of your changes, just incase you are not happy and you need to change back to the original setting. Also keep in mind that the above is written assuming that you actually ride your bike 3 times a week or more.

Originally posted by Guest
I made some changes on my bike that would started a very odd leg injury in my right leg upper muscles. I increased the arm lenghts from 175 to 180mm at the same time I started using Shimano SPD-R pedals that increased even more the distance between my seat and my pedals. Anyway, after two weeks with using this components I started to noticed a little and strange feeling in my right leg. It was like if my leg was not long enough for my pedal, like if I was stretching it. I lowered my seat, but I think it was too late, that feeling never stopped. I have now, like 6 weeks without touching my bike, unfortunately, my injury has not dimished and it changes in intensity and location. Some times it's on my right front leg muscles, some other days on my quad and other days in my right buttock. Have any of you suffered from such a rare pain?, can you give any advise?, rest and stretching have not helped a lot. THX

I have EXACTLY the same injury you describe....have you been cured?.. If so what was the injury. I have had the same symptoms for nearly a year...first caused biking some big climbs in the Pyrenees. Doctors have not been able to offer me any help as yet...??
Thanks
Neil