Strange noise on Giant TCR 2 Composite

Balderick

Jan 5, 2005
I am perplexed. I have a 2004 TCR 2 Composite, which has the Al/Cb stem, Easton EC 50 bars and Ultegra 9 speed groupset. I have probably put about 13,000 k on it, a fair bit of it racing at our beloved Kooragang Island (pretty rough road).

It has developed a creak which seems to happen when I am pedalling hard, but can be made to happen by pushing on the bars when not pedalling. I think that rules out a BB problem.

The noise has only started, or perhaps I did not notice it, after a particularily wet and dirty race, follwoing which I gave it a thorough wash to get the caustic stuff off the bike (Kooragang island is an industrial estate, and you do not let the stuff off the roads sit on your bike).

My thoughts - there is slight movement in between the fork tips and the front axle, or there is a problem with the headset. I'v greased the tips and will find out tomorrow if it fixes the problem, but I do not think that is it. The headset seems smooth, but perhaps the wash flushed out grease? Or a problem with the stem or bars?

Any thoughts?

Balderick said:
I am perplexed. I have a 2004 TCR 2 Composite, which has the Al/Cb stem, Easton EC 50 bars and Ultegra 9 speed groupset. I have probably put about 13,000 k on it, a fair bit of it racing at our beloved Kooragang Island (pretty rough road).

It has developed a creak which seems to happen when I am pedalling hard, but can be made to happen by pushing on the bars when not pedalling. I think that rules out a BB problem.

The noise has only started, or perhaps I did not notice it, after a particularily wet and dirty race, follwoing which I gave it a thorough wash to get the caustic stuff off the bike (Kooragang island is an industrial estate, and you do not let the stuff off the roads sit on your bike).

My thoughts - there is slight movement in between the fork tips and the front axle, or there is a problem with the headset. I'v greased the tips and will find out tomorrow if it fixes the problem, but I do not think that is it. The headset seems smooth, but perhaps the wash flushed out grease? Or a problem with the stem or bars?

Any thoughts?

Probably not fork/front axle. Between stem and steerer tube or between stem/bars are high probability. Headset also possible and would go there if bars/stem are not the culprit.