Strange problem with Shimano Flight Deck SC6502

TheMainCycle

Jan 26, 2011
The flight deck on my bike has a new problem. For history, it has worked well for about 8 years and I am not inadvertently hitting the button on the handle bars.

What it does is it stops recording the mileage after 18-22 miles. The speedometer continues to work, and the stop watch continues to work, but the tripometer just stops (as if I had hit the botton on the handle bar). This has now happened on over 20 bike rides in a row! Once I clear the trip and re-start the tripometer it will start again (from zero), but it always stops between 18-22 miles.

Something similar happened a few years ago and a new battery seemed to the solution. I have replaced the batteries on both the unit on the wheel and the unit on the handle bar and it still behaves the same way.

Any ideas?

Time to buy a new cycloputer. You can try hitting it with a hammer if that makes you happy. I never heard of anyone being able to repair one.

Before you hit it with a hammer, remove the batteries from the head and transmitter and let them sit unpowered overnight and then try them again. Be sure to push the AC(all clear) button on the back of the head unit before you start the set up procedure. If this doesn't solve your problem, then you might as well hit it with a hammer as there is a hardware problem rather than a software glitch, and as davero said, they normally cannot be fixed. However, a NOS head unit is not terribly expensive or very difficult to find on eBay.

Originally Posted by TheMainCycle

The flight deck on my bike has a new problem. For history, it has worked well for about 8 years and I am not inadvertently hitting the button on the handle bars.

What it does is it stops recording the mileage after 18-22 miles. The speedometer continues to work, and the stop watch continues to work, but the tripometer just stops (as if I had hit the botton on the handle bar). This has now happened on over 20 bike rides in a row! Once I clear the trip and re-start the tripometer it will start again (from zero), but it always stops between 18-22 miles.

Something similar happened a few years ago and a new battery seemed to the solution. I have replaced the batteries on both the unit on the wheel and the unit on the handle bar and it still behaves the same way.

Any ideas?
Are you using an XTR or Road harness?

Have you tried the computer head with a DIFFERENT harness?

• while there are some nice things about using a wireless harness, they can be very problematic if the batteries are not as fresh a you think they are ...

If you have a hardwire harness, try the computer head with it ...

OR, if you have a second Flite Deck head, try it with the harness ..

ALSO, you should consider changing the 6502 battery with another one.

Thanks for the advice. I changed out the batteries, cleaned the connections and pressed the AC and then did the set up again and it works! At least I rode 54 on Sunday and it did not stop as it had been doing. I am new at all this so I appreciate the help.

Thankfully you passed up on my advice. Happy to hear you fixed your Flight Deck.

Originally Posted by TheMainCycle .

Thanks for the advice. I changed out the batteries, cleaned the connections and pressed the AC and then did the set up again and it works! At least I rode 54 on Sunday and it did not stop as it had been doing. I am new at all this so I appreciate the help.
Too bad about all those wasted miles though - if they aren't recorded, they don't count. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif