Strange puncture today:D

dominikk85

Oct 29, 2012
Did anyone ever experience this?

Today I rode with my rode bike and short before I arrived home I had a puncture. However it was not the typical hole of a thorn or that "snakebike" puncture you get when the pressure is too low (I had 8 bar on a 23mm tire) but a longitudinal slit about half an inch long. there was no thorn or slit in the tire and the tape on the wheelrim was also fine.

the slit was also exacty on the seam where the tube was welded almost like it exploded. But still it lost the air quite gradually (maybe in 30 seconds or so but I'm not sure) and even made 1 more mile after putting puncture spray in (first and last time for me that is a huge mess:D.

what could be the reason for this and did you ever experience that?

The slit you're talking about was in the tube and not the tire, correct? There have been certain makes of tubes that have had such seam failures, but I can't name them offhand. What brand tubes do you use?

Originally Posted by alienator .

The slit you're talking about was in the tube and not the tire, correct? There have been certain makes of tubes that have had such seam failures, but I can't name them offhand. What brand tubes do you use?
yes in the tube (but not tire). the tube is a vittoria tube I bought the bike with it.

that tube also has a lot of welding seams (like 4 or so basically around the whole tube). now my replacement tube is a really cheap no name product from a wal mart like sports shop:). does it make sense to invest in good tubes for puncture resistance?

dominikk85 said:
yes in the tube (but not tire). the tube is a vittoria tube I bought the bike with it. that tube also has a lot of welding seams (like 4 or so basically around the whole tube). now my replacement tube is a really cheap no name product from a wal mart like sports shop:). does it make sense to invest in good tubes for puncture resistance?
Except for specifically puncture resistant tubes, puncture resistance is the domain of the tires. Some say latex tubes are more puncture resistant than butyl tubes, but I haven't seen any data on that. I'm of the mind that you get what you pay for when you buy inner tubes, but others believe in buying cheap tubes. To each their own. My inner tubes of choice are Michelin tubes because I've had good experiences with them, and I like that their valve stems aren't threaded. The way to limit punctures is to be wary of debris on the road. Paying attention to and avoiding debris when possible will go a long away to reducing punctures.

i have had such a puncture if i understood you well, like an horizontal-line failure, but the air went out immediately, bad material or construction for sure but that happens once so often, but since you bring up the subject, the other day i had a flat and replace the tube then went back home to fix the flat and put the tube under the water, the result was no bubbles, not a single one, so i left the tube inflated for days and it holded well all the air... i was guessing some kind of intermitent valve stem failure, well the tube is back again as a replacement so will see,