Strange Sightings

Susimi

May 24, 2015
So unless you have a thing for lycra or bicycle seats, it's safe to say that everyone here has cycled at least a couple of miles, and in those miles you've travelled you're bound to have seen some strange sights right? Not even strange, just something that made you look twice. I'd like to hear about them :)

Going back 10 years now I was riding along a quiet country road when I saw a silvery object in the sky and being the teen that I was I actually got a little nervous that it could be something from beyond the stars, but as I drew closer it turned out to be just a hot air balloon!

Another time when I was riding along a seawall track I passed a young courting couple who seemed totally oblivious to people passing them. On the way back several hours later they were still there... Not exactly strange but it did make me chuckle non-the-less.

Lets hear your stories!

Reactions: haleylx4
I had not seen anything strange when I go out with my bike. I do remember though while I was riding a bus looking from the glass window. I thought I saw a bright circular while light hovering from my site. I was excited to take a closer look only to find out it was a light from a vehicle that is reflected on the glass window that was funny

Keyan said:
I had not seen anything strange when I go out with my bike. I do remember though while I was riding a bus looking from the glass window. I thought I saw a bright circular while light hovering from my site. I was excited to take a closer look only to find out it was a light from a vehicle that is reflected on the glass window that was funny
I had a similar experience sitting on the bus once. I kept catching this guy looking at me, and at one point I thought to myself 'why is that ugly man staring at me??' ...yeah, the ugly staring man was actually my reflection. I'm a girl. I had just gotten a short hair cut and was wearing men's sunglasses but still...ouch haha.

While biking though...in certain areas where I cycle there are turkey vultures that live in the forest underbrush, and they get easily spooked when they hear people coming. The first time I was cycling at night with no streetlights and some squawking creature suddenly burst out of the dark forest directly into my path, I thought was going to have a heart attack! I'm used to them now but they still freak me out when I'm not expecting it.

I also used to live in a very rural area and getting into town meant riding a long, poorly maintained two-lane road through a heavily forested area. The creepiest experiences I've had haven't been what I've seen, but what I've heard. Sometimes I would be riding along late at night, with, again, no lights besides the blinking red ones I use for visibility, and I would hear something crashing along in the forest, pacing me.

This happened a fairly often and it never failed to creep me out. Whatever it was would keep up with me and I would hear it barreling through the forest alongside my bike the whole way into town or back. I know all sorts of animals that live in our woods, but I was never able to figure out what kind of animal would follow someone like that. My worst fears were always that it was a cougar, but I don't think a cougar would make that much noise, so it's a mystery.

Keyan said:
Not while cycling, but I've had similar things happen when I've been driving but they appeared more in my peripheral vision. It was like I was seeing a car right next to mine but when I look it's not there. From what I know it's called "ghosting" and it's a pretty common thing.

My dad says he experienced it many times while driving on highways at night. Basically on this one section of a certain highway a truck would seem to come out of the line of lights and appear to come across the centre of the road. He and other drivers have reported it apparently.

I was once riding up through a quiet dark neighborhood. I had turned out my head light to save some power. I was just about 10 yards form a parked car when a naked girl jumped out of the driver side (with plans to hop in the back seat). :eek:

She didn't see me coming so she was standing straight up nekkid! :eek:

then she saw me and said, "oh sorry!". I said, "that's quite all right!" :lol:

That's about as strange as it gets for me, no aliens! :unsure:

Mr. Beanz said:
I was once riding up through a quiet dark neighborhood. I had turned out my head light to save some power. I was just about 10 yards form a parked car when a naked girl jumped out of the driver side (with plans to hop in the back seat). :eek:

She didn't see me coming so she was standing straight up nekkid! :eek:

then she saw me and said, "oh sorry!". I said, "that's quite all right!" :lol:

That's about as strange as it gets for me, no aliens! :unsure:
That sounds like quiet an amusing yet awkward situation to experience haha :D

I've just got thoughts of some of the Carry On films and the Benny Hill theme playing in my head.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
I seldom ride during the evenings. But I was out riding late in the afternoon a few months ago. It was still winter season and the sun had set early. I noticed some flickering lights far away in the horizon. While the lights were flickering, they seemed to be stationery. I thought that either my eyes are playing tricks on me or I may have just encountered a UFO. A few seconds later the object moved, and as it came closer I discovered that it was just a patrol helicopter.

I like to ride early in the mornings and while I was commuting to work (and especially since I had a lot of crazy hours) I've seen a lot of weird stuff. Nothing like aliens though, but a lot of drunken people stumbling about, doing the usual, puking, releasing other body fluids in all possible manner. I once saw a group of friends doing their business in a river and one of them fell in. River wasn't too deep there so he was able to get relatively quickly, but serves him right for doing what he was doing.

bykster said:
I like to ride early in the mornings and while I was commuting to work (and especially since I had a lot of crazy hours) I've seen a lot of weird stuff. Nothing like aliens though, but a lot of drunken people stumbling about, doing the usual, puking, releasing other body fluids in all possible manner. I once saw a group of friends doing their business in a river and one of them fell in. River wasn't too deep there so he was able to get relatively quickly, but serves him right for doing what he was doing.
While reading that I had the word "Karma" enter my head straight away :D

More amusing to me than strange, but on a ride at night several nights ago I had a drunken youth ask me for a cigarette. I say ask, it was more a demand than anything. "oi..Oi......OI BRUV.....got a ***?" When I declined he told me to go fornicate with myself :rolleyes:. Gotta laugh at these rapscallions...