Strange things attacking cyclists

William Henry

Dec 22, 2004
I have been attacked by flying beer bottles and dogs. I have also been attacked by some sort of a house cat trying to hit me

One really ****** off bird, some flying armored beetle thing (I dont know what it was, but it was in the air and it meant business), and a turbocharged rotweiller. It was like some B movie scene - he'd wait way off up on a hill by his porch, see me coming, you'd think you saw a blur and wonder if it was a shadow, then there it was, in full slo-mo with the chase music starting. I'd shift and lose him, but it took only three times before he timed his run angle just right that he got within a foot to convince me a detour was in order.

A really really big black dog walked out from behind a stone wall only a couple meters ahead one time too. Not attack, since he just walked out and stopped right in the way, completely indifferent. This was more like a peaceful protest I guess. :D

I have also collected many bees in my orange jersey when i ride with that. I'll never understand why I can be walking around randomly and get stung, yet I can go on 50+ mile rides, scoop up a bee, having it rattle around in the jersey, take off the jersey unknowingly with it stuck in there and never get stung.

Yep. I've also been attacked by magpies :eek: . When I was a kid one swooped me and knocked me off my bike. Thankfully it didn't curb my enthusiasm for the sport.
Recently had a bunch of drunk pervs out shooting their foul mouths off.
And of course there's the random dogs that find it fun to try and attack my wheels/feet :rolleyes:

I once clocked a very large and quite agnry German Shepherd at 25mph. I've also had bees land on the front of my shorts. Fortunately, none of them stung me.

Well...numerous insects that were ill advised to get within my panting mouth......yummy...tastes like cashews. :eek:

But seriously...about 40k`s from home I had a wasp hit me in the throat and drop down inside my jersey...that was unzipped! Stung me about 4 times before I managed to squash him but didn`t crash. Luckily it was a deserted stretch of road so my weaving did make me an example of roadkill.

Regardless of how hot it is keep the jersey zipped.

Had some neaderthals throw something at me commuting home from work. Hit me on the backpack so it was just more of a surprise than anything. Had another knuckle dragger pull up to me real close and yell obsentities at me out the passenger window then sped off when I told him to kiss my chamois.

Cursing my way through the bush with my MTB trying to reach a trial head I broke through into a clearing to come eye to eye with a couple deer and one rather tense buck. He didn`t attack but eyed me with suspicion.

A couple dogs...usual story.

I was chased by a car full of hot girls once. I thoroughly enjoyed it :D

Were it always that nice.

I have been chased by enough dogs it is a game. It is a score when the dog hits the parked car while locking stare with you. So far I have scored a couple that way :D

I've done the whole swarm of gnats + sunscreen thing numerous times. Not terribly pleasant but lets you know you're alive. Good skin moisturizer too...

I was chased for several blocks by a put bull pup recently .. thank heavens he was looking for a playmate, not a target. Still had to circle several blocks to lose him rather than draw him into traffic.
The worst one was a pheasant I accidentally spooked on the way to work one morning - heading home the same day, the $%$#^^ thing remembered me and came after me for payback!

Apart from the usual cats & dogs....

Rabbits, the above-mentioned magpies, and there is a small piglike animal native to where I live called an inoshishi that is black and likes standing in the middle of the road on downhills.

Have dodged a snake, turtle, small children, horses, clouds of smoke & ash, human turds complete with toilet paper, trees fallen onto the road, a landslide (onto the road), and couple of road collapses. Also screaming round a corner on a familiar road to find that somebody has helpfully started roadwork meaning there is a 2m gap in the road.

fatbottomedgirl said:
I was chased for several blocks by a put bull pup recently .. thank heavens he was looking for a playmate, not a target. Still had to circle several blocks to lose him rather than draw him into traffic.
The worst one was a pheasant I accidentally spooked on the way to work one morning - heading home the same day, the $%$#^^ thing remembered me and came after me for payback!

Wow! What is a "put bull"? Sounds dangerous.
I know no one ever saw one and lived to tell about it. That's why I never heard of one.
Sorry couldn't resist.
The worst thing that has attacked me recently is 3 extra lbs that have attacked my mid section,has taken hold and won't let go of me.

mmpc001 said:
I've done the whole swarm of gnats + sunscreen thing numerous times. Not terribly pleasant but lets you know you're alive. Good skin moisturizer too...
Thats one case its nice to shave:)

A long time ago I was out on a solo off-road ride in the woods and I crashed (not a serious crash). When I hit the ground I heard a strange growling kind of sound. I looked-up to see a badger (pretty sure that's what it was) about 8 feet from my head and moving towards me. I guess I probably scared him as much as he scared me nearly crashing on top of him. But I've NEVER got up, back on my bike and moving again so fast in my life!!!

Also had some run-ins with skunks on that same ride. Luckily I was able to avoid being sprayed! :eek:

Miagi said:
I was chased by a car full of hot girls once. I thoroughly enjoyed it :D
You do know you could have let them catch you, you might have enjoyed THAT even more. :)

A while back a group of us were riding on a closed loop (to traffic) and a squirrel ran across the road, I managed to run over it. I was in the middle of the pack!

kathybeast said:
A while back a group of us were riding on a closed loop (to traffic) and a squirrel ran across the road, I managed to run over it. I was in the middle of the pack!

Ewwwwwww...the evil, bike hating squirrel whose only purpose is to sabotage a group ride or paceline!

Truly the most vicious of beasts(in a Monty Python sense)....cute but inherently dangerous to cyclists. :D

Conniebiker said:
Were it always that nice.

I have been chased by enough dogs it is a game. It is a score when the dog hits the parked car while locking stare with you. So far I have scored a couple that way :D

LMAO........now that is toooooooooooo funny.(Dev`s getting a visual of said dog bouncing off the rear bumber of a parked car)

Something right out of the coyote vrs roadrunner cartoons.

Thanks for the chuckle. :)