Strapless Heart Rate Monitors?

I live in Australia. I am well aware of POLAR Heart Rate Monitors, but
I am trying to find out if there are any "strapless" brands of Heart
Rate Monitors that provide continuous Heart Rate Readings, as opposed
to "on demand" readings (where you are required to touch some sensors,
or push a button, etc.)
Any advice at all? Thanks.

On Aug 4, 8:00 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> I live in Australia. I am well aware of POLAR Heart Rate Monitors, but
> I am trying to find out if there are any "strapless" brands of Heart
> Rate Monitors that provide continuous Heart Rate Readings, as opposed
> to "on demand" readings (where you are required to touch some sensors,
> or push a button, etc.)

I did a google search for ``continuous strapless "heart rate
monitor"`` (with the ``, but with the inner quotes). You can do the
same.

> Any advice at all?

The Mark of Fitness design looks ridiculous, IMHO. It might work for
you if all you do is run or something else that virtually does not
require hands. But even when running, I want to be able to grab
things, like a drink.

May I ask: why are you avoiding the chest strap?

IMHO, it is the most reliable and least obtrusive design.

"joeu2004" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Aug 4, 8:00 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> I live in Australia. I am well aware of POLAR Heart Rate Monitors, but
>> I am trying to find out if there are any "strapless" brands of Heart
>> Rate Monitors that provide continuous Heart Rate Readings, as opposed
>> to "on demand" readings (where you are required to touch some sensors,
>> or push a button, etc.)

> I did a google search for ``continuous strapless "heart rate
> monitor"`` (with the ``, but with the inner quotes). You can do the
> same.
>

>> Any advice at all?

> The Mark of Fitness design looks ridiculous, IMHO. It might work for
> you if all you do is run or something else that virtually does not
> require hands. But even when running, I want to be able to grab
> things, like a drink.
>
> May I ask: why are you avoiding the chest strap?
>
> IMHO, it is the most reliable and least obtrusive design.

I have started to do my walking with a metronome at a constant cadence. I
still use the heart rate monitor to make sure I am not working out harder
than planned. I use the polar with the strap I like it just fine.

Bob

Errata....

On Aug 4, 8:25 pm, joeu2004 <[email protected]> wrote:
> I did a google search for ``continuous strapless "heart rate
> monitor"`` (with the ``, but with the inner quotes).

Darn typos! That should be: withOUT the ``, but with the inner
quotes.

On Aug 4, 8:55 pm, "sycochkn" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have started to do my walking with a metronome at a constant cadence.

I wouldn't recommend it, but you've piqued my curiosity. Is it really
a metronome; or do you mean an MP3 file that plays a cadence? In any
case, what exactly is it (product name; model number), and where did
you get it?

"joeu2004" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Aug 4, 8:55 pm, "sycochkn" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I have started to do my walking with a metronome at a constant
>> cadence.

> I wouldn't recommend it, but you've piqued my curiosity. Is it really
> a metronome; or do you mean an MP3 file that plays a cadence? In any
> case, what exactly is it (product name; model number), and where did
> you get it?

They make, and have made for years now, metronomes that are about the
size of credit cards, complete with an earphone jack. Go to, e.g., the
Sam Ash or Guitar Center web site, search for metronome, and sort on
price, lowest first. Here's one that fits on your ear:

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showi...ins=*metronome*&Search_Type=SEARCH&GroupCode=

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

"joeu2004" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Aug 4, 8:55 pm, "sycochkn" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I have started to do my walking with a metronome at a constant cadence.

> I wouldn't recommend it, but you've piqued my curiosity. Is it really
> a metronome; or do you mean an MP3 file that plays a cadence? In any
> case, what exactly is it (product name; model number), and where did
> you get it?

Training at a cadence is used primarily for training for racing purposes.
Knowing my pace and using the same route keeps me at a controlled level of
work. At About 40 minutes my heart rate seems to drop a bit.

Bob

"joeu2004" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Aug 4, 8:55 pm, "sycochkn" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I have started to do my walking with a metronome at a constant cadence.

> I wouldn't recommend it, but you've piqued my curiosity. Is it really
> a metronome; or do you mean an MP3 file that plays a cadence? In any
> case, what exactly is it (product name; model number), and where did
> you get it?

I am using the metronome that I use to practice music with. I am going get a
digital metronome for walking so that I have a one beat per minute
increment, rather than six. I use the metronome to set the pace and also
monitor my heart rate.

Bob

In article <[email protected]>, Steve Freides
<[email protected]> wrote:

> They make, and have made for years now, metronomes that are about the
> size of credit cards, complete with an earphone jack.

Yes, I have one of those that I take along to fitness conferences to
"bust" step presenters who use music that is way beyond the industry
guidelines for tempo (118-128 BPM). (As presenters, they are supposed
to be our examples of how to provide an excellent workout within the
guidelines, and the certifying organizations want to know who is
violating.) Once, a presenter actually tried to BS me afterward by
saying "Well, digital metronomes are notorious for being inaccurate."
LOL! I had clocked him at an insane140 BPM.

--
Denise denise dot howard at comcast dot net
ACE and AFAA certified fitness instructor

"Denise Howard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:060820070902248217%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Steve Freides
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> They make, and have made for years now, metronomes that are about the
>> size of credit cards, complete with an earphone jack.

> Yes, I have one of those that I take along to fitness conferences to
> "bust" step presenters who use music that is way beyond the industry
> guidelines for tempo (118-128 BPM). (As presenters, they are supposed
> to be our examples of how to provide an excellent workout within the
> guidelines, and the certifying organizations want to know who is
> violating.) Once, a presenter actually tried to BS me afterward by
> saying "Well, digital metronomes are notorious for being inaccurate."
> LOL! I had clocked him at an insane140 BPM.
>
> --
> Denise denise dot howard at comcast dot net
> ACE and AFAA certified fitness instructor
> AFAA step and kickboxing certified

Right now I am doing 120 steps minute for 47 minutes I intend to get up to
140 to 170 steps per minute. I manage better times with lower heart rates.
Digital metronomes vary in accuracy. I think the Seikos are crystal
controlled so the accuracy is a small fraction of a percent.

Bob

In article <[email protected]>,
sycochkn <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Denise Howard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:060820070902248217%[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, Steve Freides
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> They make, and have made for years now, metronomes that are about the
> >> size of credit cards, complete with an earphone jack.

> > Yes, I have one of those that I take along to fitness conferences to
> > "bust" step presenters who use music that is way beyond the industry
> > guidelines for tempo (118-128 BPM). (As presenters, they are supposed
> > to be our examples of how to provide an excellent workout within the
> > guidelines, and the certifying organizations want to know who is
> > violating.) Once, a presenter actually tried to BS me afterward by
> > saying "Well, digital metronomes are notorious for being inaccurate."
> > LOL! I had clocked him at an insane140 BPM.
> >
> > --
> > Denise denise dot howard at comcast dot net
> > ACE and AFAA certified fitness instructor
> > AFAA step and kickboxing certified

> Right now I am doing 120 steps minute for 47 minutes I intend to get up to
> 140 to 170 steps per minute. I manage better times with lower heart rates.
> Digital metronomes vary in accuracy. I think the Seikos are crystal
> controlled so the accuracy is a small fraction of a percent.

Yes, mine's a Seiko.

--
Denise denise dot howard at comcast dot net
ACE and AFAA certified fitness instructor
AFAA step and kickboxing certified

"joeu2004" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Aug 4, 8:55 pm, "sycochkn" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I have started to do my walking with a metronome at a constant cadence.

> I wouldn't recommend it, but you've piqued my curiosity. Is it really
> a metronome; or do you mean an MP3 file that plays a cadence? In any
> case, what exactly is it (product name; model number), and where did
> you get it?

I have a Seiko SQ50, the increments are too large. I am considering a Seiko
SQ50 or 70. An mp3 player with flash memory such as the SanDisk might be a
better idea. I do have software to do cadence tracks. They would be midi
files converted to mp3 and saved on flash memory or in an IPod.

Bob