Strapping weights to your legs!!

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by HandyAndy, Jan 16, 2004.

1. HandyAndy

HandyAndy New Member

Just a thought, has anyone tried strapping those ankle weights to their legs while training?I would think it would be easier on a an indoor trainer then riding outside.Has anyone tried it?It must be beneficial to you if done consistently.Any thoughts?

Tags:

2. funknuggets

funknuggets New Member

personally, and this is JUST me... I would be opposed to this in general. The weights would not mimic the stressors on the normal pedal stroke, but rather provide exactly the opposite. I do think there would be some marginal benefit from strengthening your hip flexors and maybe hit your hams a bit. It may help those as a weak point, but putting them on your ankles would aid the downstroke and likely screw the bejesus out of your pedalstroke.

If you want to work these muscles, try doing one leg drills or even intervals at a light resistance at the highest cadence you can hold without bouncing. You might consider using the ankle weights when you work your abs, especially if you do bicycle-type crunches, which would hit your hip flexors and stress your abs harder, but I do NOT think it would be beneficial for your pedaling action.

Chris

3. Aztec

Aztec New Member

Too bad Ric's gone for the month! He'd love this one.

Sorry to make fun. Definitely a bad idea. If you want more resistance, just use a higher gear, ride a steeper incline, look for stronger headwinds or some combo of the above. Ankle weights would do you no more good than running/jumping with them does for increasing your vertical jump (zero).

And actually, you might get zero effect since the weight would be counterbalanced on the other side. You could potentially pedal with huge weights on there!

4. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

Yes, where is ric when he's needed?

I think thats what will happen, the weights will equal themselves out. Although extra energy would be used speeding the weights up and slowing them down, in aerodynamics and overcoming gravity on hills.

On some occasions there might be merit adding weight to the bike or rider's body.

5. ccorrick

ccorrick New Member

That would be a sight!
    One winter I wore one of those weighted vests, but I has a reason. What they said above on the leg weights.

Now the vest. I wore it without my riding buddy knowing it. We rode together every ride and I had 20 extra pounds on me!!! He couldn't figure out whey I was not keeping up at first. When spring hit... I got rid of the weight and told him about it. HAHAHAHAHAHA I was so much faster than him!! Was fun indeed, but it didn't help long. He worked his butt off to catch up and it only took him about 2 weeks, so makes you wonder if it was worth it. Regardless it was fun!!

If you wanted to ride with someone slower than you but still get a workout weight MIGHT be any option, but add it to the bike or yourself.

C-

6. Aztec

Aztec New Member

LOL.

Gearing up *should* have the same effect. Of course, though, not the stealth factor. Hey, maybe a lead-filled water bottle! ;-)

7. Duckwah

Duckwah New Member

hehehe

the Australian Institute of Sport actually has bidons filled with lead and they used them for trialling the difference in hillclimbing speed due to static bike weight

surprise surprise adding 2.5kg to a bikes weight made the rider slower!! and it was enough to be significant (can't remember the exact figure)

8. edd

edd New Member

Don't listen to all these cynics, wear them for a month then take them off and you'll find riding your bike will be fun again !