Strathfarrar/Mullardoch Munros

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Leonard Trim, Feb 12, 2005.

  1. Leonard Trim

    Leonard Trim Guest

    Breaking away from the club Skye meet in May and heading up to Cannich
    as I have eight Munros left to do in this area. Tempted to base myself
    in Cannich and come back each night to a hostel bed and a pint or two.
    However could be persuaded to do the lot with an overnight camp. Any
    suggestions or preferred routes.

    --
    Len Trim
    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. "Leonard Trim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Breaking away from the club Skye meet in May and heading up to

    Cannich
    > as I have eight Munros left to do in this area. Tempted to base

    myself
    > in Cannich and come back each night to a hostel bed and a pint or

    two.
    > However could be persuaded to do the lot with an overnight camp. Any
    > suggestions or preferred routes.

    Len
    We did all the hills in this area based at the campsite at Cannich.
    Not tried the hostel there but the pubs are good and reasonably priced
    hot food has always been available when I have been in the area.
    Enjoy, whatever you decide to do for accommodation.
    Cheers
    Graham

  3. Roger

    Roger Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from Leonard Trim <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > Breaking away from the club Skye meet in May and heading up to Cannich
    > as I have eight Munros left to do in this area. Tempted to base myself
    > in Cannich and come back each night to a hostel bed and a pint or two.
    > However could be persuaded to do the lot with an overnight camp. Any
    > suggestions or preferred routes.

    I did a clockwise circuit (12 Munros) from the Dam in 2 and a bit days
    (1976). The bit was the tail end of the day I drove up there. The first
    nights camp was on the South side of the ridge by the upper of 2 little
    lochans. Not sure exactly where but it wasn't far off the ridge. Memory
    says it was on Mam Sodhail but looking at the map that seems too far for
    a late start. Had an interesting experience in the middle of that night.
    A tremendous gust unpitched the tent and rolled me up in a neat little
    parcel. Having eventually extricated myself I shifted camp to the lower
    lochan.

    The second camp was several 100 yards out from the shore of Loch
    Mullardoch (according to the crap 1").

    Should you have the time do what I didn't do and collect the 2nd (1036)
    Scurr na Lapaich as well. It is probably only a matter of time before
    that peak is promoted to full Munro status.

    --
    Roger Chapman so far this year 17 summits
    New - 11 (Marilyns 0, Sweats 1, Outlying Fells 10)

  4. RJ Webb

    RJ Webb Guest

    >Should you have the time do what I didn't do and collect the 2nd (1036)
    >Scurr na Lapaich as well. It is probably only a matter of time before
    >that peak is promoted to full Munro status.

    A lot of folk have already "promoted it" It is now in "public" hands
    and is a shoe in at the next revision.

    Its a demoted one and was considered a separate hill once.

    Against that, far too much emphasis is now placed on vertical drop,
    and the other two dimensions are forgotten - this may tell against it.

    The biggest anomaly is the ommission of Glas Leathad Beag on Wyvis.
    That could make it too....

    The independant hostel in Cannich was rather good on my last two
    visits. If its still the same - you should have a comfortable and
    value for money stay.

    Richard Webb

  5. Leonard Trim

    Leonard Trim Guest

    If I end up going on my own I think I will take my labrador Islay for
    company and camp using of course my infamous Argos one man tent. If
    other members of the club decide to breakaway then we will probably use
    the hostel. My Munro bagging is now at the stage where the last two
    dozen all seem to be some distance from club meets apart from the last
    two (one hopes) the westerly Fannichs which I am keeping for a club meet
    at Sail Mhor hostel which is near the hotel at Dundonnel and of course
    its malt whiskies. Meanwhile I shall just enjoy the hills and not worry
    too much about tick lists. Being as much a hypocrite as the next man I
    am however pleased to see that for once I am ahead of the game and have
    actually done Sgurr Na Lapaich(?) in Glen Affric as it seemed an obvious
    pleasant end to a long day in the hills.

    --
    Len Trim
    [email protected]

  6. Geoff Berrow

    Geoff Berrow Guest

    I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]> from
    Leonard Trim contained the following:

    >If I end up going on my own I think I will take my labrador Islay for
    >company and camp using of course my infamous Argos one man tent.

    Is there enough room for man and dog in one of those?

    --
    Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.

  7. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    "Leonard Trim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > If I end up going on my own I think I will take my labrador Islay for
    > company and camp using of course my infamous Argos one man tent. If
    > other members of the club decide to breakaway then we will probably use
    > the hostel. My Munro bagging is now at the stage where the last two
    > dozen all seem to be some distance from club meets apart from the last
    > two (one hopes) the westerly Fannichs which I am keeping for a club meet
    > at Sail Mhor hostel which is near the hotel at Dundonnel and of course
    > its malt whiskies. Meanwhile I shall just enjoy the hills and not worry
    > too much about tick lists. Being as much a hypocrite as the next man I
    > am however pleased to see that for once I am ahead of the game and have
    > actually done Sgurr Na Lapaich(?) in Glen Affric as it seemed an obvious
    > pleasant end to a long day in the hills.
    >
    > --

    this is fantastic backpacking country, about as remote as it gets in the UK.
    Quite a few years back I did the full tour over 4 days. (Mullardoch 4, then
    on to the Lurg Bhor group, then Maoile Luindhe before finishing with the
    Strathfarrer 4) 13 munros in total. Bit of an endurance event, but one I'll
    not forget!

    As to Geoff Berrow's thread questioning if there is enough room for man and
    dog in the tent, I have the Argos tent and I have a Black Lab, and theres
    plenty of room, in fact I don't think I have used the tent without the dog!

    Stuart
    http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/munros/

  8. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    If you are doing the Mullardoch Munros you can organise a boat trip
    through Carl, who stays near the dam. He will take you for a fee to the
    house at Benula. This allows you to climb An Socach first and then
    work your way back along the ridge.
    Lindsay.
    www.caledoniahilltreks.com

  9. Leonard Trim

    Leonard Trim Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from "Lindsay" <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > If you are doing the Mullardoch Munros you can organise a boat trip
    > through Carl, who stays near the dam. He will take you for a fee to the
    > house at Benula. This allows you to climb An Socach first and then
    > work your way back along the ridge.

    This I will definitely be following up

    --
    Len Trim
    [email protected]

  10. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    I don't recall it being as steep as that or I wouldn't have paid.

  11. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    The contact number I have for Carl which I took from my web site is
    01456 415347. I hope it is still current. I have also walked along
    the north side of Loch Mullardoch. The path is a bit rough in places
    and takes about 2 hours. Worth contacting him to ascertain cost. If
    he has other bookings the day you use it the indivdual cost is reduced.
    I hope this helps.
    Lindsay.
    www.caledoniahilltreks.com

  12. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    "Leonard Trim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The message <[email protected]>
    > from "Lindsay" <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >
    > > If you are doing the Mullardoch Munros you can organise a boat trip
    > > through Carl, who stays near the dam. He will take you for a fee to the
    > > house at Benula. This allows you to climb An Socach first and then
    > > work your way back along the ridge.

    > This I will definitely be following up

    I think the fee is in the region of £30 to £40.

    Just walk it, for most of the way the path is excellent with little ascent /
    descent. IMHO to get ferried into west Benula lodge would take something
    away from the very special remoteness that these hills enjoy.

  13. RJ Webb

    RJ Webb Guest

    >Just walk it, for most of the way the path is excellent with little ascent /
    >descent. IMHO to get ferried into west Benula lodge would take something
    >away from the very special remoteness that these hills enjoy.

    Yet some of us find boat travel gives a sense of remoteness.. Funny
    old world. Would love to paddle it. (with attention given to the wind
    rattiling around Cape Horn.)

    There is of course a road to the foot of Meall a'Chraisg/AnSocach.
    And another to the foot of An Riabhachan

    Just not so convenient for those who want to bag 4 Munros.

    Richard Webb

  14. Rob Milne

    Rob Milne Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Lindsay) wrote:

    > *From:* "Lindsay" <[email protected]>
    > *Date:* 17 Feb 2005 00:45:50 -0800
    >
    > If you are doing the Mullardoch Munros you can organise a boat trip
    > through Carl, who stays near the dam. He will take you for a fee to the
    > house at Benula. This allows you to climb An Socach first and then
    > work your way back along the ridge.
    > Lindsay.
    > www.caledoniahilltreks.com

    Very highly recommended to take the boat. Not only is it nice and fun, but
    the walk along the lochside is one of the worst in Scotland!

  15. Leonard Trim

    Leonard Trim Guest

    Interesting the different opinions on the lochside walk. I certainly
    would not be paying £30/£40 quid for the boat trip if I had to stump it
    up myself. Sharing it out amongst a boatload would be a different thing
    entirely:))

    --
    Len Trim
    [email protected]

  16. druidh

    druidh Guest

    Rob Milne wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (Lindsay) wrote:
    >

    >>*From:* "Lindsay" <[email protected]>
    >>*Date:* 17 Feb 2005 00:45:50 -0800
    >>
    >>If you are doing the Mullardoch Munros you can organise a boat trip
    >>through Carl, who stays near the dam. He will take you for a fee to the
    >>house at Benula. This allows you to climb An Socach first and then
    >>work your way back along the ridge.
    >>Lindsay.
    >>www.caledoniahilltreks.com
    >>

    > Very highly recommended to take the boat. Not only is it nice and fun, but
    > the walk along the lochside is one of the worst in Scotland!

    Not how I remember it - and I've done it three times now! Picking the
    right path amongst the various sheep tracks can be a bit of
    hit-and-miss, but once past the turn-off for the Allt Mullardoch, it's
    not even that boggy.

    druidh