streching tecnique

Hugo

Guest
HI, before going on a 2 1/2 mi jog, i stretch by just
crossing my legs and bending down doing 15 on each leg 3
times , any one know of a better tecnique, as i know that
stretching is one of the most important things to do
before jogging.

> "Hugo" [email protected]

>HI, before going on a 2 1/2 mi jog, i stretch by just
>crossing my legs and bending down doing 15 on each leg 3
>times , any one know of a better tecnique, as i know that
>stretching is one of the most important things to do
>before jogging.

There might be merit in starting your jog very, very slowly,
and then stretching after the jog.

In NY the book Power Yoga by Birch has been very popular
with runners. It is the best book on flexibility that I have
seen yet. I was a gymnastics coach for 17 years.

Gleshna

Overheard at 2004 ESA Northeastern Regional Surf Contest:

"F%&*, I got beaten by a guy from the Great Lakes!"

Gleshna wrote in message <20040702184620.13554.00000991@mb-
m12.aol.com>...
>> "Hugo" [email protected]
>
>>HI, before going on a 2 1/2 mi jog, i stretch by just
>>crossing my legs and bending down doing 15 on each leg 3
>>times , any one know of a better tecnique, as i know that
>>stretching is one of the most important things to do
>>before jogging.
>
>There might be merit in starting your jog very, very
>slowly, and then stretching after the jog.
>
>In NY the book Power Yoga by Birch has been very popular
>with runners. It
is
>the best book on flexibility that I have seen yet. I was a
>gymnastics
coach
>for 17 years.

I agree, warming up slowly is more important than stretching
before running. Also stretching can cause injury if you're
not warmed up. I always stretch only after running, mainly I
do a static stretch of the hamstrings and calves by putting
the balls of my feet on a 2x4 and letting the heel rest on
the ground. Then I put gentle but firm pressure by hanging
down for 1.5 to 2 mins a few times, mixing with a few other
stretches.

- Tony