Strecthing before/after muni-ing?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by terrybigwheel, Feb 15, 2006.

  1. Tags:

  2. Jerrick

    Jerrick Guest

    i just do some quick stretches (i forgot the name of it) to everything
    from my stumach down, if you do those slow ones like in gym or
    something those are for after a session, cause they are slow, and relax
    you, and you want to be limber and blood pumping, ill find a link to it

    --
    Jerrick

  3. I do stretches before even just a regular neighborhood ride. It helps
    get that blood flowing and loosens your muscles a bit so I don't get
    charlie horses all night after I come back inside. >< God I hate those.

    --
    dudewithasock

    'My Unicycling Journal'
    officially ended - currently in the process of preparing it for my free
    webspace.
    :cool:
    'MR - Reply 40,000' (http://tinyurl.com/dwwy5)
    dudewithasock's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10900

  4. the doctor told me that if I don't stretch my legs after Muni I will be
    in trouble.
    I used to forget it: but now I do it before my shower (which I can't
    forget:D ). Very simple and slow stretching.

    As for "before" another doctor (a chiropractor) gave me exercises to
    practice for the back: the problem is I have to lay with my back on the
    floor... but these work very well for my spine.

    --
    wobbling bear

    One Wheel : bear necessity
    wobbling bear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3716

  5. Radical Reed

    Radical Reed Guest

    I never stretch, i just get on and ride around on easy, and do hops and
    what not. stuff then I start the real riding

    --
    Radical Reed

    the sooner you fall behind means the more time there is to catch up;)

    nobody reads these any more

    'dead end' (C:\Documents and Settings\Main User\My Documents\My
    Pictures\deasd end.bmp)
    Radical Reed's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10427

  6. Radical Reed wrote:
    > I never stretch, i just get on and ride around on easy, and do hops and
    > what not. stuff then I start the real riding

    Probably doesn't hurt that your only 15 too!:cool:

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Terry
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

  7. Radical Reed

    Radical Reed Guest

    terrybigwheel wrote:
    > Probably doesn't hurt that your only 15 too!:cool:

    yes, hehe, i forgot about that major factor:p

    --
    Radical Reed

    the sooner you fall behind means the more time there is to catch up;)

    nobody reads these any more

    'dead end' (C:\Documents and Settings\Main User\My Documents\My
    Pictures\deasd end.bmp)
    Radical Reed's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10427

  8. monkeyman

    monkeyman Guest

  9. wobbling bear wrote:

    > As for "before" another doctor (a chiropractor) gave me exercises to
    > practice for the back: the problem is I have to lay with my back on the
    > floor... but these work very well for my spine.

    Trials unicycling is really hard on my back, the next day it hurts to
    move and hopping just kills. I don't normally have a bad back, it's
    just the corrective hopping of trials that messes it up. What warm-up
    stuff do you do before riding?

    --
    UNIquelyCanadian

    ~Cameron
    New Photos Added: _www.camerondonaldson.com__

    "The state death takes you is the state eternity will keep you." -
    Chad Searles
    UNIquelyCanadian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7524

  10. UNIquelyCanadian wrote:
    > Trials unicycling is really hard on my back, the next day it hurts to
    > move and hopping just kills. I don't normally have a bad back, it's
    > just the corrective hopping of trials that messes it up. What warm-up
    > stuff do you do before riding?

    Well my problem is very different: I do not have a "bad back" (I just
    may get an element of my spine pinched out of others:) ) and I do not
    practice jumps or trial (just simple Muni).
    the warm up is pretty difficult to describe: I must lay on my back, the
    whole back should stick to the floor and I must expire with belly
    contracted back (pretty unusual).
    with this basis: I try different movements, some in the axis of my body
    some while twisting my body. The spine quickly finds the proper place
    to stay and it's ok until the next nasty fall.

    --
    wobbling bear

    One Wheel : bear necessity
    wobbling bear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3716

  11. UniTyler

    UniTyler Guest

    I've noticed my left arm get's sore after Muni because that's the
    arm/hand I use to grab the handle. Good thing, I guess, because when
    you break it down the muscle builds up bigger! :cool: Maybe I should
    stretch before riding because I've never tried it. I will before the
    33 mile Chilly Hilly ride (Feb 26, Bainbridge Island, WA), fo sho!

    --
    UniTyler

    Part of the Muni ComMUNIty
    UniTyler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6120

  12. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    I wouldn't call it a routine...but I stretch afterwards. sometimes
    before.

    --
    James_Potter

    i still believe that all you need is love...john lennon

    mikael atkinson
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    *President of the 'MRIS' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)*, reply number
    '50,000' (http://tinyurl.com/d5pmu) in the most replys thread

  13. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    UniTyler wrote:
    > I've noticed my left arm get's sore after Muni because that's the
    > arm/hand I use to grab the handle. Good thing, I guess, because when
    > you break it down the muscle builds up bigger! :cool:

    you should switch hands sometime, otherwise your left arm will be huge
    and your right arm will be little and puny.

    --
    James_Potter

    i still believe that all you need is love...john lennon

    mikael atkinson
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    *President of the 'MRIS' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)*, reply number
    '50,000' (http://tinyurl.com/d5pmu) in the most replys thread

  14. teachndad

    teachndad Guest

    Could more of the responses include DESCRIPTIONS of stretches like for
    the knees, calves, ankles, etc. and include how long you stretch? 10
    minutes, 15 minutes, or so.

    Middle age as brought forth a lot of dry tendons that are less
    resilient. I have had problems with my arms and lately an
    overstretched Achilles Tendon, that is s-l-o-w-l-y healing.

    I miss my muni and fireroads aren't my bag even on a pimped out 29er.

    All bee bock.

    --
    teachndad

    Rod Wylie 'MountainUnicyclingLA.com'
    (http://www.mountainunicyclingla.com)
    'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Greater-Los-Angeles-Trails)
    'UnicycleRoundupLA.com/' (http://unicycleroundupla.com/)
    teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

  15. If you hit the ground you need all your tendons to be in good shape
    because they take a lot of the impact. Unless you are a teenager,
    tendons and ligaments need regular training to stay fit and strong.
    Different types of stretching and relaxation exercises are good I
    believe. My own favourite is taiji because it works on the whole body.

    --
    goldenchicken
    goldenchicken's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8149

  16. dale_dale

    dale_dale Guest

  17. Jerrick

    Jerrick Guest

  18. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 14:49:54 -0600, teachndad wrote:

    >Middle age as brought forth a lot of dry tendons that are less
    >resilient.

    I'm 52. I don't stretch before or after a ride. The only thing I do it
    take it easy in the first few minutes of a ride. I never have tendon
    problems, and only rarely I have sore muscles. I guess I'm lucky.

  19. evil-nick

    evil-nick Guest

    Stretching is one of those things I keep forgetting to do... Along with
    homework :D

    --
    evil-nick

    Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total
    obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and
    through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see
    its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will
    remain.

    * Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

    I'm late for checkers with the Dalai Lama!

    My gallery:
    http://evil.linuxfreak.ca/uni.html
    Our Club:
    http://cs.ubishops.ca/~buuc/