Street furniture, footpath furniture

In message <[email protected]>, JohnB <[email protected]> writes
>Even at well under walking pace on any hill I just gear down, lay back
>and remain cycling in a dead straight line

If you think that you can ride a bike motorised or no in a "dead
straight line" then you're less intelligent than you'd like to think.
--
Clive.

> the speed is so slow as
> to make weaving around to balance on the thing a danger to car
> bodywork

Yeah, it tends to get a bit unsteady somewhere below 3-4 mph.

p.s. I've fixed your post.

> If you think that you can ride a bike motorised or no in a "dead
> straight line" then you're less intelligent than you'd like to think.

You forgot the <pedant> tags

Clive Coleman wrote:

> As someone that rode a bike to work for more than twenty years which
> included going down a steep hill then climbing one in each direction I'm
> not short on the experience, furthermore I will point out that unless
> your bike is in motion balancing is not possible, because you need to be
> moving to make minor adjustments to the steering.

You've never heard of track stands then (or is your point that minor
bike movements in a track stand mean its not stationary)?

http://www.teamestrogen.com/articles/asa_trackstand.asp

Tony

"Conor Turton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> So tell me Jon, how do I get 20 miles to work at a time where P.T isn't
> even running not to mention there's not a route that goes there, do a
> 12 hour shift, get back home and have sufficient sleep before doing it
> all again? And no, moving isn't an option.

Has anyone claimed that everyone can use a bike or public transport for
every journey?

No -- thought not.

My claim (probably supported by most cyclists) is that most people could use
a bike for some journeys. Now that is a very different statement.

Since most people live in towns and cities, and since most car trips are
less than 2 miles it would seem sensible to start there.

To quote a conversation in another thread recently:

/quote

> > Having spent an age stuck in traffic today I cannot see why
> > people drive their cars so much.

> Because it's so seductively easy to flop into their little bit of
> portable personal space and just turn the key.

Yes -- but its the wrong tool for the job. A car is brilliantly the right
tool for some jobs. Getting round town is not one of them.

endquote/

By the way, it is highly unlikely that moving house is not an option --
however, it may be an option that you reject.

Clive Coleman wrote:

> In message <[email protected]>, JohnB <[email protected]> writes
> >Even at well under walking pace on any hill I just gear down, lay back
> >and remain cycling in a dead straight line

> If you think that you can ride a bike motorised or no in a "dead
> straight line" then you're less intelligent than you'd like to think.

You need to learn to read posts.

John B

In message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
<[email protected]> writes
>You've never heard of track stands then (or is your point that minor
>bike movements in a track stand mean its not stationary)?

I used to ride a bile backwards sitting on the handlebars, I'm sure we
all did as kids, but balancing without movement is not possible,
remember virtual is not actual.
--
Clive.

In message <[email protected]>, JohnB <[email protected]> writes
>> If you think that you can ride a bike motorised or no in a "dead
>> straight line" then you're less intelligent than you'd like to think.

>You need to learn to read posts.

Tell me what I've missed?
--
Clive.

Jon Senior wrote:

> JNugent wrote:

>> For your good self (and for people like you), the bike is your
>> avocation. You do it because you like it, and that's absolutely
>> fine, though it would be better if you didn't let your fondness for
>> the world of bikes blind you to their (very obvious) shortcomings as
>> a means of transport for normal everyday use.

> Despite the obvious shortcomings, my bike _is_ my means of transport
> for "normal everyday use".

That does not militate against what I wrote. Not in the slightest.

However, I am grateful for your acceptance og the (obvious) point that nikes
have severe practical shortcomings when applied as a tentative solution to
the transport needs of most people. Some other bike-riders here have posted
the opposite of that - for reasons best known to themselves.

> I commute by bike. I shop by bike. When I
> need to travel long distance, I take my bike on a train. I have
> demonstrated time and again that I can reach most places in this city
> faster on a bike than I can by car... and no... I don't jump reds, or
> ride on the pavement.

Again, one would expect all of this. For you, your bike is among your prize
possessions, and you see the world of the bike as your own natural
environment. There is nothing wrong with that.

>> Most people don't care for cycling and will not be browbeaten into
>> accepting what they know - for a certainty - is nowhere near suited
>> to their needs (and in any event is not what they want even if it
>> *were* practical - which it isn't). Fact.

> No. Not fact... fiction.

Now you see... this is where you start getting very silly.

You can ride your bike and no-one will criticise you for it. Your choice to
ride it is your business, and not many people will try to talk you out of
it.

Your choice is accepted.

Please do others the same courtesy.

It isn't much to ask, is it?

> The same people also "know" that if they
> don't keep an eye on their kids they'll be kidnapped, abused and
> murdered by a stranger, despite the lack of evidence to support it.
> The same people "know" that because a man in a white coat just said
> so on TV, brand X will wash their whites... whiter than white! A
> great number of those same people who "know" that the bike is of no
> use to them, will complain about rising traffic levels as they sit in
> the traffic jam while picking up the newspaper from a shop half a
> mile from home. Can a bike replace a car for all people? No. But it
> can very practicably replace one for a great many journeys for a
> significant proportion of the population.

Why do you go off on these flights of fantasy?

Do you not understand that it makes you sound... odd? You are saying
(whether you realise it or not) that the majority are simply wrong (or
stupid) and that you are simply right (and clever). Is that what you *meant*
to say? Because that's your message, loud and clear.

Can't you just let others make their choices (on whatever basis makes them
happy) as they let you make yours?

If not, why not? Are you just better than them?

> What people have been browbeaten into accepting is that a car is an
> essential tool for life. They have it drilled into them from childhood
> through adverts and through the behaviour of their peer groups.

Now come on - that is nonsense.

The baby-boom generation (of which I am a younger-end member) were not
raised in households with cars. Not having had car-use "drilled into them
from childhood", they have made their choices - whatever they may be - in
the light of what they have discovered for themselves and their *own*
experiences, haven't they?

In message <[email protected]>, Jon Senior
<jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk@?.?.invalid> writes
>Clive Coleman wrote:
>> I'm retired.

>As were all members of the High Wycombe cycling club who attended the
>vets club runs when a friend rode with them. At least three rode a
>fixed gear, and all (with one exception) could drop my friend on the
>climbs. High Wycombe and surrounds are far from flat, and these people
>were far from young. It could be that you're right, but it just looks
>like you've given up before you've started.

I'm probably a skilled enough angler to feed myself from local rivers
and ponds, if I had to. That doesn't mean that the rest of the
population who haven't spent years acquiring those skills would be able
to do the same.

--
Steve Walker

> I'm probably a skilled enough angler to feed myself from local rivers
> and ponds, if I had to. That doesn't mean that the rest of the
> population who haven't spent years acquiring those skills would be able
> to do the same.

It's only a bicycle - four year olds can ride the things. Put it this way,
driving is _much_ harder. (the crippled and those with nasty balance-
affecting ear infections excluded). I'm guessing the difference here is
that the unfit see it as an alternative to walking, whilst the fit are fast
enough to see it as an alternative to the car. I'm a lazy student, so I
see it as an alternative to the bus.

Clive Coleman wrote:

> In message <[email protected]>, JohnB <[email protected]> writes
> >> If you think that you can ride a bike motorised or no in a "dead
> >> straight line" then you're less intelligent than you'd like to think.

> >You need to learn to read posts.

> Tell me what I've missed?

The clue was in the gearing down and laying back.

Clearly you have a long way to go to qualify for a light sabre.

John B

In message <[email protected]>, Jon Senior
<jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk@?.?.invalid> writes
>As were all members of the High Wycombe cycling club who attended the
>vets club runs when a friend rode with them. At least three rode a
>fixed gear, and all (with one exception) could drop my friend on the
>climbs. High Wycombe and surrounds are far from flat, and these people
>were far from young. It could be that you're right, but it just looks
>like you've given up before you've started.

I'm glad you've chosen Wycombe and it's mole hills. Luckily for me I
have relatives that I visit there and the land is flat compared to where
I live. Bring your bike with your OAP riders and we'll see how they get
on? Until then take my word for it, "You don't know what you're
talking about" unless you see farting as a significant advance in the
discussion. As I have already pointed out I rode a bike to work for
over 20yrs.
--
Clive.

In message <[email protected]>, Jon Senior
<jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk@?.?.invalid> writes
>Clive Coleman wrote:
>> Tell me what I've missed?

>Cycle does not require a "bike".
>
>http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/trikes_xxl.htm
>
>Is but one example of many.
>
>Jon

Nice try, I've never seen one, either for sale, used by a local or
brought in by a tourist to deal with the local or other terrain.
--
Clive.