Street legality

Brendo

Guest
What do you need on ytour bike to make it legal? I am sure Mr
Plod won't just pull you over unless you're a real twit, but just
in case, what is required to cover all the legal bases?

Reflectors on wheels?

Rear reflector?

Lights?

Bell or other warning device?

Brakes front and back?

I may be doing a ride with some school kids on the near future,
so I thought I better make sure I'm kosher before I give them a
lecture.

Brendo

Brendo wrote:
> What do you need on ytour bike to make it legal? I am sure Mr Plod won't
> just pull you over unless you're a real twit, but just in case, what is
> required to cover all the legal bases?
>
> Reflectors on wheels?

nope. rec if riding at night.

> Rear reflector?

nope, only if riding at night

> Lights?

only if riding at night.

> Bell or other warning device?

yes,

> Brakes front and back?

yes, not sure if legally you need both, but a damm good idea on very
long descents.

Brendo wrote:

> I may be doing a ride with some school kids on the near future, so I
> thought I better make sure I'm kosher before I give them a lecture.

If you are taking them on a ride and need to cover somer serious
distance, rather than token, the most important thing is that seat post
is full length.

Otherwise, the major problems will be loose cones everywhere.

Brendo said:
What do you need on ytour bike to make it legal? I am sure Mr
Plod won't just pull you over unless you're a real twit, but just
in case, what is required to cover all the legal bases?

Reflectors on wheels?

Rear reflector?

Lights?

Bell or other warning device?

Brakes front and back?

I may be doing a ride with some school kids on the near future,
so I thought I better make sure I'm kosher before I give them a
lecture.

Brendo
I seem to remember that you don't actually need a bell on your bike when riding, it just has to be sold to you with a bell on. Not sure if it is the same with reflectors, but lights are only mandatory if riding at light (steady front, anything at the back).

I'm not 100% on any of this, but that's how I understand it. Check the road rules in your state for more.

"Terryc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Brendo wrote:
>
>> I may be doing a ride with some school kids on the near future, so I
>> thought I better make sure I'm kosher before I give them a lecture.

> If you are taking them on a ride and need to cover somer serious distance,
> rather than token, the most important thing is that seat post is full
> length.
>
> Otherwise, the major problems will be loose cones everywhere.

And from what I've seen, disconnected/absent brakes, especially the front
ones.

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 15:44:12 +0800, Brendo <[email protected]>
wrote:

>What do you need on ytour bike to make it legal? I am sure Mr
>Plod won't just pull you over unless you're a real twit, but just
>in case, what is required to cover all the legal bases?
>
>Reflectors on wheels?

no

>Rear reflector?

yes

>Lights?

at night

>Bell or other warning device?

yes

>Brakes front and back?

one brake

>I may be doing a ride with some school kids on the near future,
>so I thought I better make sure I'm kosher before I give them a
>lecture.
>
>Brendo

and a suitable helmet.

Aeek <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 15:44:12 +0800, Brendo <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >What do you need on ytour bike to make it legal? I am sure Mr
> >Plod won't just pull you over unless you're a real twit, but just
> >in case, what is required to cover all the legal bases?
> >
> >Reflectors on wheels?

> no
>
> >Rear reflector?

> yes
>
> >Lights?

> at night
>
> >Bell or other warning device?

> yes
>
> >Brakes front and back?

> one brake
>
> >I may be doing a ride with some school kids on the near future,
> >so I thought I better make sure I'm kosher before I give them a
> >lecture.
> >
> >Brendo

> and a suitable helmet.

I agree with this assessment of the legal requirements.

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

Check out your state road authority. That'll say what's required
<anip>