Street/Trials riding and 'Hard' Pavement Tires

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Matt.Weston, Dec 3, 2005.

  1. Matt.Weston

    Matt.Weston Guest

    Can anyone post experiences of using tyres specifically designed for
    Pavement use on Street/Trials unicycles? All that I've seen have been
    these massively-knobbly (usually Maxxis Creepy Crawler) tyres, and I'm
    wondering how far experimentation with different tires has gone. Do
    the BMX riders' Vert/Street tyres suit us, or are we best to stick with
    the common ones?

    A quick search turned up some tires such as the 'IRC Tire \"Lovers
    Soul\"' (http://www.irctire.com/tires/lovers_soul_bmx.html), any
    opinions on whether it's worth considering some experimentation into
    specifically Pavement tyres for Urban trials would be appreciated
    greatly! (Though I haven't checked out the price yet, looks like it
    could be kinda pricey :p)

    -Matt

    --
    Matt.Weston
    Matt.Weston's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11149

  2. DK

    DK Guest

    Matt.Weston wrote:
    > Can anyone post experiences of using tyres specifically designed for
    > Pavement use on Street/Trials unicycles? All that I've seen have been
    > these massively-knobbly (usually Maxxis Creepy Crawler) tyres, and I'm
    > wondering how far experimentation with different tires has gone. Do
    > the BMX riders' Vert/Street tyres suit us, or are we best to stick with
    > the common ones?
    >
    > A quick search turned up some tires such as the 'IRC Tire \"Lovers
    > Soul\"' (http://www.irctire.com/tires/lovers_soul_bmx.html), any
    > opinions on whether it's worth considering some experimentation into
    > specifically Pavement tyres for Urban trials would be appreciated
    > greatly! (Though I haven't checked out the price yet, looks like it
    > could be kinda pricey :p)
    >
    > -Matt

    if you have a 19'' rim, you are pretty much stuck with a trials tire.
    If you have a true 20", you can trya wide bmx tire. That 1.85 is too
    narrow for hopping, IMO, but check out maxxis's tires in somethng 2.2
    or 2.1 or so

    --
    DK

    *\"faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of
    death.\" - hunter s. thompson*
    DK's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8054

  3. Matt.Weston

    Matt.Weston Guest