Strength-explosive power

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Djordje87, May 1, 2016.

1. Djordje87

Djordje87 Member

Hey everyone. I have very good stamina. Whether it is running of cycling and my strength is fair but I would really like to increase my explosive power and I would like to do it with my bicycle. I guess I would like my legs to be bigger and stronger as well. Is there any specific type of training routine for this? I know how to do it for running but I would like to ride a bike for a while and I was just curious. Cheers.

Tags:

2. Norjak71

Norjak71 New Member

Lunges. Lunges work great for me for a few reasons and it's part of my daily stretching routine anyways. It wont make your thighs huge or muscular but it's training. Use some weights added onto this for more resistance as well and you'll be well on your way.

3. Djordje87

Djordje87 Member

I do lunges already and I love them but I failed to mention that I have weak knees which is why my legs suffer a lot last few years. You know how changing tempo and pace while running helps you to increase explosiveness? Well, I was wondering if there is a similar technique with bicycle? Should I ride uphill or try changing pace as well?

4. dkrenik

dkrenik Member

Are you familiar with the "Hour of Power" (HoP)? For ~60 min's ride Tempo - Threshold (depends) and every few min's either sprint or hold on for an anaerobic burst (30-60 sec's) or something else.

5. BrianMacDonald

BrianMacDonald New Member

Explosive power in what context...are you looking to win bunch sprints after three hours of road racing, be better at jumping out of corners in a crit, win match sprints on the track? These are different.