strength of 10 speed chains

HandyAndy

Jul 29, 2003
I had an unfortunate incident happen to me on my commute in to work today, a link on my chain twisted when my chain came off....so now the link is bent and the chain "aint right more!".This happened from a seating start at a red traffic light!This is the new 10 speed dura ace!This is my first time using a 10 speed group.Is campag this fragile!I've always been a shimano guy but now I'm thinking campag!Anyone else have these problems?

I wouldn't change over one bad experience. If it happens again maybe change. Maybe look for alternatives like Wipperman or Miche.

Originally posted by HandyAndy
I had an unfortunate incident happen to me on my commute in to work today, a link on my chain twisted when my chain came off....so now the link is bent and the chain "aint right more!".This happened from a seating start at a red traffic light!This is the new 10 speed dura ace!This is my first time using a 10 speed group.Is campag this fragile!I've always been a shimano guy but now I'm thinking campag!Anyone else have these problems?
Chain is not supposed to come off. It's oprator error or bad adjustment.Don't blame it on the chain.

Ive had another look and where the new link goes the chain has bent, so I suspect it may not have been put together correctly.What are those "no tool" chains like?Are they reliable and are they available for 10 speed systems?

Chains are way stronger than they even need to be... in the right plane. When you dump one, and put tons of pressure on a link from the side, of course it's not as tough as you'd like.

The tool-free chains are awesome. I have a Wippermann link in my Campy 10sp and it has already come in handy on the road. Works perfectly.

Originally posted by HandyAndy

i ride campi and this happened once...check and see if your derailleur is alingned properly and if anything is in your free wheel